If you live in a hot climate, you may notice your dog panting heavily during those warm summer nights. He may also avoid the regular bed and seek out cool surfaces. If you’ve been looking for a cooling solution, an elevated dog bed could be a game-changer.
The overall best elevated dog bed is the Kuranda PVC Chewproof Dog Bed. It provides ample airflow and breathable fabric to help your dog stay cool. It is also one of the most durable options and suitable for destructive dogs that like to chew their beds.
In this guide, I take a detailed look at the best elevated dog beds. I evaluate the pros and cons of each option and help you decide if it suits your pup. I also discuss why you might need an elevated dog bed and how you can help your furry friend stay cool in summer.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||Kuranda PVC Chewproof Dog Bed||4.8/5|
|Runner-Up||K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot||4.7/5|
|Savvy Pick||PetFusion Ultimate Elevated Outdoor Dog Bed||4.9/5|
|Budget Pick||Amazon Basics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed||4.6/5|
|Best Pick for Destructive Dogs||K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed||4.6/5|
|Best Pick for Camping||YEP HHO Large Elevated Folding Pet Bed||4.7/5|
|Best Portable Pick||HIPIPET Elevated Dog Bed||4.7/5|
|Best Pick for Large Dogs||Veehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed||4.6/5|
|Best Pick for Small Dogs||Coolaroo The Original Elevated Pet Bed||4.6/5|
|Best Pick for Outdoors||Best Choice Products Cooling Canopy Shade Tent||4.5/5|
Product Reviews for the Best Elevated Dog Beds
Best Overall: Kuranda PVC Chewproof Dog Bed
The Kuranda PVC Chewproof model is the overall best elevated dog bed on the market. Its sturdy and durable design is suitable to use in all environments and with destructive pups.
It uses premium PVC in a frame with rounded edges. This base is sturdy and doesn’t allow your dog to get his mouth around the edges. Therefore, it can withstand destructive chewing without breaking or splintering.
The surface is heavy-duty vinyl. This material is UV-resistant, making it suitable for outdoor use without damaging the bed. Additionally, it has gaps in the material to allow air to circulate and keep your dog cool in hot weather conditions.
You can spot clean the raised bed easily with a cloth and water. All the surfaces are resistant to damage and don’t hold onto dirt or stains. Therefore, it is an excellent investment in the long-term, even though it has a higher price than some other models.
The Kuranda model allows you to choose from a few different sizes and colors. Therefore, you can customize it to your dog and home decor. The frame is resistant to rust and maintains its deep, dark color for a long time.
Overall, I recommend this elevated dog bed for all dog breeds. However, it is particularly suited to destructive pups and strong breeds like Rottweilers and Pitbulls. This is the most chew proof dog bed on the list. If you have the money to invest, it could serve you for years.
- The vinyl material is durable and easy to clean.
- You can use the raised dog bed inside or outside.
- The covered edges are not easy to chew.
- There are multiple size options.
- You can choose from a few different colors.
- It is one of the pricier models.
Runner-Up: K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot
The K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot is the runner-up elevated dog bed. This budget-friendly option has much of the durability and versatility of more expensive models. It also allows you to choose from multiple sizes to match your dog.
It sits 7 inches (17.8cm) above the ground, allowing air to circulate under and around the frame. However, it may be challenging to climb up if your older dog has mobility problems.
It has mesh fabric material that is resistant to moisture, preventing mold and mildew from growing. If your dog has contact allergies, this could be an excellent option to prevent allergic reactions. The bed is also odor-resistant, and you can wash it in the washing machine, keeping it fresher for longer.
The raised pet bed can support up to 200lb (90.7kg), making it one of the most robust models on the market. It also has non-slip feet to prevent it from skidding on slippery surfaces like floorboards or tiles. Therefore, it can work well as an inside or outside dog bed.
Although the cooling dog bed comes with instructions, it can be challenging to assemble if you are not particularly handy. It is also not the best option for destructive dogs, as they may chew and destroy the edges.
Overall, I recommend this elevated dog bed if you are looking for value for money and versatility.
- The elevated dog bed is budget-friendly.
- It has a high elevation of 7 inches (17.8cm).
- You can choose from sizes from Small to Extra-Large.
- The base is highly durable.
- The center is resistant to moisture.
- It has non-slip feet.
- You can machine-wash the cover.
- It can be challenging to assemble.
- Destructive dogs may be able to chew it up.
Savvy Pick: PetFusion Ultimate Elevated Outdoor Dog Bed
The PetFusion Ultimate Elevated Outdoor Dog Bed is the Savvy pick. If you have a large or extra-large breed, I recommend this luxurious option. It combines a standard elevated design with raised foam bolsters that are common in mattress-style beds.
These bolsters are one of the best features. If your senior dog has mobility issues, the foam can support his spine, neck, and head. Many elevated dog beds are just a simple frame, so this is a luxurious addition that will support your dog’s joints.
It uses polyester fabric, which is soft and less scratchy than other mesh options. This material allows air to circulate and cool down your dog during hot nights. However, it also retains heat to keep your dog warm during the colder months.
You can take apart the orthopedic dog bed and wash each component. This allows you to keep the different parts fresh and clean in the long-term. Considering the price, this is also an excellent way to extend the bed’s life.
The main downside of this dog cot is that there are no smaller sizes. If you have a large dog, then there is ample space to stretch out. However, smaller pups may feel intimidated and uncomfortable on the broad surface.
Overall, I recommend this elevated dog bed for large breed dogs.
- The foam bolsters provide comfort and support.
- It uses polyester fabric for extra comfort.
- It is breathable, cool in hot weather, and warm in cold weather.
- There are sizes to suit large and extra-large dogs.
- The material is resistant to chewing.
- It comes with a waterproof cover.
- You can disassemble and wash the orthopedic bed components.
- It is not the most affordable model.
- There are no smaller sizes available.
Budget Pick: Amazon Basics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed
The Amazon Basics model is the best budget elevated dog bed. If you’re looking for the benefits of this type of frame but not wanting to blow the bank, this model could be worth considering.
Like other standard elevated dog beds, it has a frame with tightly-stretched, breathable material across the top. The mesh has enough space between each fiber to promote better airflow. However, it is more tightly woven than premium fabrics. Therefore, water can get stuck on top if you leave the bed outside in the rain.
You can choose from multiple sizes and put the outdoor bed together easily. Although it doesn’t come assembled, it has clear instructions that show you how to build the pieces. You can also take them apart when you need to clean the bed.
It is a lightweight model, allowing you to take it on your vacations with your dog. However, it is not the most durable option you can find. This is to be expected with the low price, but you may want to reconsider it if your dog is very heavy or an aggressive chewer.
Overall, I recommend this elevated dog bed if you are looking for a bargain. It probably won’t give you years of use, but it should be more than enough to justify the price.
- It is excellent value for money.
- There are various model sizes.
- It has breathable mesh material.
- You can assemble and clean the bed easily.
- The bed is lightweight and portable.
- It is not the most durable elevated dog bed.
- Water can get trapped on top of the fabric.
Best Pick for Destructive Dogs: K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed is the best option for destructive dogs of all sizes. Although it is pricey, it is durable enough to withstand chewing, scratching, digging, and nesting. Therefore, it could be an excellent investment if your dog loves to destroy his possessions.
It prevents your dog from destroying it because of the premium aluminum frame and ripstop fabric top. The corners are covered, so your dog can’t get leverage for tearing the material. Furthermore, K9 Ballistics provides a Chew Proof Guarantee so you can get a replacement if your dog destroys the bed.
It is also resistant to water and dirt so that you can use it inside or outside. This fabric prevents bacteria from settling and growing on the surface. Therefore, it is a hygienic option that you can easily clean to keep it fresh.
The bed comes pre-assembled and is available in a variety of sizes, from Small to Giant. Each size is compatible with standard crates, so you can also place it inside a cage. This can be advantageous if you need to enclose your dog to prevent him from destroying furniture.
The high cost is one of the main downsides of this bed. It certainly doesn’t come cheap, but you’re paying for durability with this model. If you’re thinking in the long-term, it could be an excellent financial investment.
- The bed is virtually indestructible.
- It includes a Chew Proof Guarantee.
- The bed is compatible with most crates.
- It is pre-assembled.
- The material is resistant to moisture, bacteria, and dirt.
- You can use it indoors or outdoors.
- There are sizes to suit most breeds.
- This is one of the least affordable elevated dog beds.
Best Pick for Camping: YEP HHO Large Elevated Folding Pet Bed
The YEP HHO Large Elevated Folding Pet Bed is the best option if you want to take your dog camping. Even if you’re in a tent, your pup should still have a supportive surface to sleep on. Therefore, investing in a bed like this one could be a great choice.
This bed is easy to pack and carry. It folds up into a compact shape and comes with an external carry bag. Because the bed is so lightweight and easy to carry, you can easily throw it in your car or attach it to your backpack for hiking and camping trips.
The bed is resistant and suitable for outdoor use. It can withstand exposure to the sun without getting hot or fading from the UV light. Furthermore, the waterproof material can stand up against rain without damaging the frame or surface.
It is machine-washable and has enough breathability to make it a hypoallergenic choice. It also has non-skid feet, so you can stick it in place and not worry about accidents. Overall, it is reliable and has a decent frame.
However, the bed is only available in larger sizes. If you have a tiny dog, you may want to reconsider this model. Furthermore, it will not withstand destructive chewing. Therefore, choose carefully if your dog likes to nibble on his possessions.
- The bed is foldable and portable.
- It comes with a carry bag.
- The fabric is cooling and durable.
- It has non-skid feet to prevent accidents.
- You can clean it easily.
- It is resistant to UV light, heat, and water.
- There are no smaller sizes.
- The elevated bed is unsuitable for destructive chewers.
Best Portable Pick: HIPIPET Elevated Dog Bed
The HIPIPET model is the best portable elevated dog bed. If you are looking for a model to travel with or place in different parts of your home, this could be an excellent option. It is lightweight but strong enough to withstand repeated use.
It is an excellent portable option. The bed is pre-assembled and folds through the middle. When folded, the bed has handles on either side that allow you to carry it independently of another bag. Therefore, it is easy to take with you when traveling.
The bed is relatively durable and resistant. Its mesh is tear-resistant to withstand regular nesting activity. However, it may not stand up to dogs that love chewing.
The mesh is breathable and allows air to flow through the gaps. You can also easily clean the surface to remove hair, dirt, or water. Therefore, it provides plenty of ventilation if your dog struggles with hot weather.
However, the elevated bed does not have non-slip feet. The smooth plastic material can slide on slippery surfaces like tiles or floorboards. Therefore, I recommend using it on carpet, grass or placing it on top of a blanket.
Overall, I recommend this elevated dog bed for small to medium-sized breeds. If you travel a lot, it can be a breeze to transport and give a supportive space for your pup to sleep. However, for at-home use, I would recommend a more premium model.
- It has a folding design with handles.
- There are a few different size options.
- You don’t have to assemble the bed.
- The material is tear-resistant.
- The mesh is comfortable and breathable.
- The surface is easy to clean.
- The legs do not have non-slip feet.
Best Pick for Large Dogs: Veehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed
The Veehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed is the best choice for large dogs. There are a few larger sizes, and the frame can withstand up to 150 pounds (68kg). Therefore, unless you have a giant breed, this model should be more than durable enough for your pup.
It has a heavy-duty frame and Textilene fabric. This surface resists heat and allows air to pass through the gaps in the material. Therefore, it could be an excellent choice if your dog struggles to sleep in the hot weather.
This bed is affordable and is versatile enough to use indoors or outdoors. Because of its non-skid feet, you can use it on smooth surfaces without scratching the floor. Therefore, you can place it outside, on tiles, floorboards, carpet, or any other terrain.
However, this elevated dog bed can be challenging to assemble. The assembly instructions include multiple models, so you will first have to determine the correct one. If you have never put together a dog bed before, it could make for a frustrating couple of hours.
Overall, this budget-friendly elevated dog bed is sturdy and reliable once you have it built. Although it has a pretty typical design, it can be an excellent ally during summer and heatwaves. I recommend it for large and extra-large dog breeds.
- You can choose from multiple size options.
- It is an affordable choice.
- The bed has a high weight capacity.
- Its Textilene fabric is resistant to heat and allows airflow.
- It has non-skid feet.
- It has confusing instructions and can be challenging to assemble.
Best Pick for Small Dogs: Coolaroo The Original Elevated Pet Bed
The Coolaroo Original model is the best elevated dog bed for small dogs. This budget-friendly model is excellent value for money and has many outstanding features. Although cheaper than other options, it stands on its own with a high-quality frame and sleeping surface.
It uses high-density polyethylene (HDPE) fabric, which is stretchy but supportive. If your dog has any joint problems, this could be an excellent choice. The surface reduces pressure points, holds the joints in place, and prevents hot spots from forming.
It is also an excellent hypoallergenic option. The material prevents fleas, dust mites, and mold from setting up shop and provoking an allergic reaction. You can also wipe down the surface as needed.
You can pick from a few different color choices. However, you will have to assemble the bed. Some people have reported that this can be frustrating and confusing, so I recommend going into it with a positive attitude.
Overall, this isn’t the most durable choice if your dog likes to chew. However, for non-destructive dogs, it can provide a comfortable surface with excellent airflow. I recommend it for small dogs, especially those that need joint support.
- The bed is excellent value for money.
- There are a few attractive color options.
- The low-impact design is gentle on the joints.
- The breathable fabric promotes airflow and prevents hot spots.
- It is hypoallergenic and easy to clean.
- It can be annoying to assemble.
- It can be destroyed by chewing.
Best Pick for Outdoors: Best Choice Products Cooling Canopy Shade Tent
The Best Choice Products Cooling Canopy Shade Tent is the best elevated dog bed for outdoor use. It can simultaneously protect your dog from the sun and keep him cool with ample airflow. Therefore, it can be an excellent addition to your backyard during spring and summer.
The main advantage of this bed is the canopy that stretches over the frame. This structure creates shade and protects your dog from the sun. Therefore, it can prevent your dog from overheating on scorching days.
It has an elevated platform and mesh material that allows air to circulate. However, this surface can stretch under the weight of larger dogs. Therefore, I recommend it for small to medium-sized pups.
This could be a viable choice if you are looking for portability. It is lightweight, and you can break it down to carry in the included bag. Therefore, it can come traveling or on camping trips. Although it isn’t the most durable option on the market, it is strong enough to withstand travel and the elements.
Overall, I recommend this elevated dog bed for backyard use. Especially if you don’t have trees in your yard, it can create space for your dog to relax and get out of the sun.
- It provides shade and blocks the sun.
- The elevated platform is breathable and comfortable.
- The bed is lightweight and includes a carry bag for portability.
- Its frame is resistant to damage.
- There are multiple size options.
- The material can stretch under heavy dogs.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Elevated Dog Bed
What Is the Best Elevated Dog Bed?
There are some factors to think about when choosing an elevated dog bed:
- Elevation: You should consider your dog’s height and age when choosing the dog bed’s elevation. Small or elderly pups may struggle to climb up and down from high surfaces.
- Breathability: One of the primary purposes of an elevated bed is to keep your dog cool during the night. Therefore, you should opt for mesh material that allows air to circulate through and reduce your pup’s temperature.
- Durability: If you have a destructive dog, you might like to invest in a chew-proof dog bed. Many modes use reinforced materials and clever designs to stop your pup from latching on and destroying the base.
- Resistance to the elements: If you want to take the dog bed camping or leave it outside during the day, you should opt for a resistant model. Materials that have UV protection or even a canopy can withstand the sun and last longer.
- Portability: If you love to go camping or traveling, a lightweight and portable elevated dog bed can be an excellent ally. It allows you to provide sleeping space for your pup without taking up too much storage space.
- Stability: Because elevated dog beds are on legs, they may move around more easily than traditional mattresses. By choosing a model with non-slip feet and stability, you can avoid any accidents or scratching your floors.
Are Elevated Beds Good for Dogs?
There are a few advantages to elevated dog beds:
- They can cool down your dog. Because dogs have hair covering their skin, they only sweat through their paws. This can make it difficult for them to drop their body temperature when the mercury is rising. My Golden Retriever has always suffered in the heat. Still, the air circulation of elevated beds can help dogs cool down.
- They provide support. Elevated beds have a firm surface that can support your dog’s spine and joints. However, suppose your pup has hip dysplasia or a similar issue. In that case, he may feel more comfortable on a memory foam mattress.
- Elevated beds are portable. These models tend to be lightweight, easy to dismantle and take up little space. If you want to go traveling with the bed, it shouldn’t pose any issues.
- They are versatile options. You can use elevated dog beds inside or outside as a daybed. Because most models are resistant to sun damage, you can leave them in the garden without worrying.
- They are more resistant to chewing. Unlike mattresses, elevated dog beds have heavy-duty materials, and they are difficult to destroy. If your dog likes to chew his bed, it should deter him.
- Elevated beds are hypoallergenic. The breathable material prevents mold and mildew from forming. Dust mites also tend not to live on the mesh, so it can be an excellent option for dogs with allergies.
Do Dogs Need Beds?
According to a Mayo Clinic study sleeping in the same room as your dog will not negatively effect your sleep. However if you let your dog sleep in bed with you, your sleep efficiency will be reduced on average by 3%. The study also concluded that sleeping with your dog can cause you to wake up more during the night.
For these reasons we recommend getting a separate bed for your dog. Like in the study conducted by the University of Pennsylvania some beds like Big Barker Dog Beds can reduce joint pain by up to 21% over years of use.
What Are Some Signs that a Dog is Overheated?
These are some symptoms that show you that your dog is overheating:
- Panting and heavy breathing
- Dry nose and mouth
- Rapid heartbeat
- Diarrhea and vomiting
What Dogs are Prone to Heatstroke?
All dogs have the potential to overheat, but some breeds are more vulnerable. These dogs are more likely to suffer in summer and hot weather:
- Golden Retrievers
- English Springer Spaniels
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
- French Mastiffs
- French Bulldogs
- English Bulldogs
- Chow Chows
How Can I Cool Down My Dog?
If your dog is overheating, there are a few methods you can try to cool him down:
- Move your dog out of the heat. Get him out of the sun, inside, and on a cool surface like tiles if possible.
- Check his temperature. If your dog is recording above 106℉ (41.1℃), take him to the vet immediately.
- Use water. Put your dog in a pool of water or cover his body with wet towels and rags.
- Provide drinking water. Encourage your pup to drink some water and rehydrate. Avoid using ice cubes because the temperature difference can cause a shock to the system.
- Go to the vet. If your dog is not improving or recording a high temperature, go immediately to an emergency vet.
To prevent your dog from overheating in the first place, you should always provide cool drinking water and avoid exercising during the hottest part of the day. Ensure your dog has a cool, shaded area to lie down and don’t push him beyond his limits.
If you’d like to see some more ideas for how to keep your dog cool, check out this video.
In conclusion, the Kuranda PVC Chewproof Dog Bed is the Best Overall elevated dog bed. It has a premium design that cools your dog and resists any destructive chewing.
The Runner-Up is the K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot. This model is affordable, sturdy, and well-constructed.
The PetFusion Ultimate Elevated Outdoor Dog Bed is the Savvy Pick. This luxurious model is one of the most comfortable and supportive elevated dog beds.
Elevated dog beds can be an excellent investment if your dog is overheating during the night. The design allows air to circulate and cool your pup, preventing him from panting too much or feeling uncomfortable.
There are various ways you can keep your dog cool, including frozen treats and access to plenty of water. By also investing in an elevated dog bed, you can help him sleep soundly throughout summer.
All content has been reviewed for accuracy by Dr. Megan Teiber, DVM.