Pugs are known for being playful, loyal, and adaptable. They may be small, but they tend to eat a lot, leading to obesity. To prevent any physical problems for your Pug, you need to exercise him constantly. That’s why investing in high-quality dog toys can be so helpful.
The overall best dog toy for pugs is the CHIWAVA Squeaky Puppy Toy. It is a durable option with the perfect size for small breeds like Pugs and Poodles. However, it should be avoided if you have a teething puppy or a heavy chewer.
In this guide, I’ll look at the advantages and disadvantages of the best dog toys for Pugs. You’ll learn all you need to know about when buying a toy for this breed and the characteristics you should focus on.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
|CHIWAVA Squeaky Puppy Toy
|Nina Ottoson by Outward Hound
|Best for Puppies
|Multipet Lambchop Plush Toy
|Best for Senior Dogs
|Outward Hound Hedgehogz Dog Toy
|Best for Destructive Dogs
|MewaJump Chewing Cactus
|Nylabone Textured Chew Bone
|The MYPET 6-Pack Dog Toys
Product Reviews for Dog Toys for Pugs
Best Overall: CHIWAVA Squeaky Puppy Toy
The CHIWAVA Squeaky Puppy Toy is a highly durable chew toy for Pugs. It has an overall height of 2.4” (6 cm), a total width of 2” (5 cm), and weighs only 24.2 lbs (11 kg). Therefore, this toy is also the ideal size for any small breeds like Poodles and Pomeranians.
It was specially designed with small breeds in mind, so your Pug will likely have a good time playing with it. The toy also has a unique design that allows it to bounce multiple times whenever you throw it.
It is made of non-toxic latex and was approved by the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA). Additionally, The toy has no filling inside, meaning your pup can’t choke on anything if he rips it open.
One more benefit of this model is that it comes in a 4-pack with different designs and colors. Therefore, it is excellent value for money.
However, the toy is only chew-resistant, and you should avoid it if your Pug is teething or is a heavy chewer. The toy can also get lost easily, so it is better to supervise your dog while he plays with it.
- It is a durable chew toy ideal for small breeds.
- This toy is 2.4” (6 cm) tall and 2” (5 cm) wide.
- The toy only weighs 24.2 lbs (11 kg).
- It has no filling inside, making it safer than most dog toys on the market.
- The toy is made of non-toxic latex, approved by the FDA.
- It comes in a 4-pack with models of different designs and colors.
- The toy is not suitable for heavy chewers or teething puppies.
Savvy Pick: Nina Ottoson by Outward Hound
The Nina Ottoson by Outward Hound is another excellent dog toy for Pugs. This puzzle toy will challenge your dog’s intelligence, thanks to its incredible ball-like design. All you need to do is open the toy, place some small treats inside, and let your dog find out how to get them. With enough treats, the toy will likely entertain your dog for hours.
It comes in different levels, allowing you to choose the one you think your dog will enjoy the most. I recommend the beginner model for Pugs because they can get frustrated with complicated commands and toys. Additionally, you can use it for indoor and outdoor playtime.
Outward Hound Store designed this toy to be healthy for your dog, using only the best non-toxic materials. The toy was also intended to help reduce boredom and destructive behavior. Still, it won’t help if your dog feels it is too easy or difficult. That’s why it is essential to pick the right level for your Pug.
- This interactive toy will challenge your dog’s mind.
- It is excellent for dogs that need to use their minds constantly.
- It is a highly entertaining dog toy for any breed.
- You can use it for indoor and outdoor playtime.
- This dog toy can help reduce boredom and destructive behavior.
- It was made with high-quality and non-toxic materials.
- You can choose between different difficulty levels.
- Your dog can get frustrated if the game is too difficult.
- Dogs will get bored if they find the toy to be too easy.
Best for Puppies: Multipet Lambchop Plush Toy
The Multipet Lambchop Plush Toy is a plush chew toy with a unique and cute design for puppies and small breeds. It has a total height of 6” (15.2 cm), so your Pug puppy can use it more like a companion than just a toy. If your dog is like mine, he will sleep with it and take it everywhere he goes.
It has an extra soft surface you can easily wash in a washing machine. The toy is also durable and chew-resistant, ideal for teething puppies. However, it is not a chew-proof toy, so you should supervise your puppy whenever it plays with it. This toy was made with non-toxic and high-quality polyester, but the stuffing can be dangerous if your dog eats it.
You can find this toy in four different sizes, allowing you to choose the best one for your dog. The toy’s surface has different textures that will help get your dog’s attention. You’ll also be getting two toys, perfect if you have more than one Pug at home.
- It has an ideal mini-size for small breeds.
- The dog toy can withstand constant chewing.
- It comes in a 2-pack if you have more than one doggo at home.
- The toy is made of high-quality and non-toxic polyester.
- It has a soft surface with different textures.
- You can wash the toy on a washing machine.
- It is not a chew-proof dog toy, only chew-resistant.
- The filling of the plush toy can be dangerous if ingested.
Best for Senior Dogs: Outward Hound Hedgehogz Dog Toy
The Outward Hound Hedgehogz Dog Toy should be your go-to option if you are looking for a toy for your senior Pug. This unique plush toy is exceptionally soft and has one of the cutest designs you’ll find.
It was manufactured to reduce seams exposure, making it more durable than other plush dog toys in the market. Additionally, this dog toy is made of high-quality and non-toxic materials that are easy to wash.
It includes a grunter and squeaker noisemaker, perfect for dogs that love noisy toys. It is also very durable, unlike some dog toys that stop squeaking after a week of use. It is a huggable model with a rounded shape to help dogs that love carrying things in their mouths.
You can find this model in four different sizes, but I recommend the small or medium size for your Pug.
The main drawback of this toy is its durability. It is not chew-proof nor chew-resistant, so you should avoid it if your senior Pug chews constantly.
- It has a cute and unique hedgehog design.
- It was manufactured to reduce seam exposure for better resistance.
- This dog toy comes with a grunter and a squeaker.
- It has a rounded shape, ideal for dogs that love carrying things.
- The toy is made of high-quality and non-toxic materials.
- It comes in four different sizes.
- It has a durable surface with different textures.
- It is not a chew-proof or chew-resistant dog toy.
Best for Destructive Dogs: MewaJump Chewing Cactus
TheMewaJump Chewing Cactus is one of the best dog toys for destructive chewers and teething dogs. It comes in three sizes, including a small one for breeds like Pugs and Yorkshire Terriers.
One of the main benefits of this dog toy is its incredible durability and resistance to constant chewing. It is also made of non-toxic rubber and other high-quality materials to ensure your dog’s safety.
Additionally, its texture helps clean your dog’s teeth, and daily use of the toy will help reduce plaque and gum bleeding.
The toy has an overall weight of 0.5 lbs (241 g), and its surface has a milk scent your dog will probably love. It also comes in pink and green, allowing you to pick the one that better matches your dog’s personality.
However, the dog toy has only a single texture. Therefore, your Pug might get bored of it after a while.
- The toy has the ideal size for small breeds like Pugs.
- It is an excellent option for heavy chewers and teething puppies.
- This toy model comes in pink or green.
- It only weighs 0.5 lbs (241 g).
- The surface of this toy has a milk scent.
- It is made of high-quality materials and non-toxic rubber.
- If your dog uses it daily, it can reduce plaque and gum bleeding.
- This dog toy only has one texture.
Budget Pick: Nylabone Textured Chew Bone
The Nylabone Textured Chew Bone is a durable and affordable dog toy for small breeds like Pugs and Corgis. It is a nylon ring with a unique design and different textures that will entertain your dog for long periods.
This dog toy comes in five sizes, including extra small and extra-large. Therefore, you can buy different ones for your Pug as he grows from a puppy to an adult.
It was designed to provide an easy hold for dogs that love carrying things in their mouths. One of the main benefits of this toy is its flavored surface, which makes it more enticing for dogs and other pets. Additionally, it is made of high-quality nylon capable of withstanding constant chewing.
This American-made dog toy promotes good dental hygiene, cleaning your dog’s teeth every time he uses it. It can help reduce your dog’s destructive tendencies, separation anxiety, and stress.
However, you should avoid buying this dog toy for senior Pugs as it can be too harsh for their gums.
- It is a high-quality dog toy you can find at an affordable price.
- This dog toy has a unique design with multiple textures to help entertain your dog.
- It has the ideal size and weight for small breeds.
- The toy was designed to help dogs carry it without discomfort.
- It has a flavored surface that will entice your Pug.
- This American-made dog toy can endure constant heavy chewing.
- It was designed to help with your dog’s dental hygiene.
- You should avoid buying this toy for senior dogs with gum issues.
Best Deal: The MYPET 6-Pack Dog Toys
The MYPET 6-Pack Dog Toys is one of the best deals you’ll find on Amazon when looking for high-quality dog toys. It includes three rope toys of different sizes, two squeaky plush toys, and a non-plush squeaky toy.
The biggest toy in this pack has an overall length of 23” (58.4 cm), while the smallest is only 2.5” (6.3 cm). Therefore, the collection is ideal for Pugs that enjoy variety when playing.
These dog toys are made of highly resistant and non-toxic materials, with better durability than most plush toys on the market. However, you should still supervise your dog while playing to avoid accidents.
Additionally, these toys can help your dog’s teeth if he chews on them regularly. Furthermore, their design can help you calm down your dog if he gets stressed or anxious.
Remember that these toys are not chew-proof, so avoid giving them to puppies or heavy chewers.
- These toys were designed for small breeds.
- The toys are helpful for dogs with high levels of stress and anxiety.
- You can use these toys to help with your dog’s dental hygiene.
- These toys are made of high-quality and non-toxic materials.
- The pack comes with three different rope toys for dogs.
- The toys are chew-resistant, soft, and durable.
- It includes three different squeaky toys.
- The toys included in this pack are only mildly chew-resistant.
- These toys are not ideal for teething puppies.
Buying Guide: How to Choose a Dog Toy for a Pug
What Is the Best Dog Toy for a Pug?
Here are the characteristics you should consider when buying a toy for Pugs:
- The right size: When buying a new dog toy for your Pug, you need to focus on the size. Pugs are a small breed, and their mouths are even smaller. It means they can’t carry or hold a big toy like a Golden Retriever or a German Shepherd can.
- Soft toys: Another aspect to consider is whether the toy is hard or soft. Because their mouths are small, Pug’s teeth are also small. The best option is a soft toy to prevent gum problems from constant chewing. Rope toys and plushies are ideal for an adult or senior Pug.
- Durability: Dog toys are not necessarily expensive, but they can become a considerable investment if you have to replace them every week. However, you can easily prevent this situation if you get a durable model. The most durable toys tend to be more expensive, but they can help you save money in the long term.
- Texture: Ideally, a toy will entertain your dog for as long as possible. Some toys get boring after your dog has played with them for a couple of days, while others will catch your dog’s attention, thanks to their multi-textured design. The more textures and shapes the toy has, the more your Pug will likely want to play with it.
- Flavor and scent: These aspects are not essential, but they can help you entice your dog by engaging his senses. Some brands use unique flavors and aromas to make the toy even more fun so that your dog will get obsessed with it. The only problem is that the scent and flavor won’t last as long as the toy itself.
- Non-toxic: Finally, one aspect to consider is the materials used to make the toy. You want it to be as safe as possible so that nothing dangerous will happen if your dog ingests any part of it.
What to Avoid When Buying a Dog toy for a Pug?
These are the characteristics you must avoid when buying a toy for a Pug:
- Hard toys: Pugs’ teeth and gums are very sensitive. They will chew on anything, but it is better to avoid hard toys. Chewing on hard toys can produce bleeding and other dental issues.
- Big toys: Because of their size, Pugs do not do well with big toys they can’t hold in their mouths. They also lack the dental strength to carry any heavy objects, so avoiding big toys is ideal.
- Cheap materials: If the toy is suspiciously cheap and not from a known brand, chances are it uses inexpensive materials. Because dogs play by chewing, anything made with plastic or cheap rubber can be dangerous.
- Fragile toys: The other toys you should avoid are fragile ones. It is even more important when buying a toy for a destructive chewer or a teething puppy. Teething puppies will chew on anything they can and will destroy it. A fragile toy won’t last long with them.
Are Pugs Aggressive Chewers?
Pugs are not very active dogs, and sometimes you need to make them play for them to move at all. However, not all of them are the same. Some Pugs, especially puppies, can be very destructive with clothes and soft surfaces like shoes and flippers. As a rule, most Pugs will chew, but not all are heavy chewers.
That’s why it is so important to invest in durable dog toys. The best thing is to redirect your dog’s destructive chewing towards a toy whenever he tries to chew on something he shouldn’t. To achieve this, you’ll need to supervise your Pug constantly until he understands that shoes, couches, and other house items are off-limits.
How Much Activity do Pugs Need Daily?
Pugs love to cuddle up and eat, and if you allow them, they’ll do that all day. This trait leads to a lot of obesity among the breed. Combined with their breathing problems, it can make their lives pretty hard. So, to avoid physical problems, you need to exercise your Pug daily to prevent weight gain and other health issues.
The breed doesn’t need a lot of exercise, but it does need to be active. A couple of walks a day or a playing session of 20 to 30 minutes in the yard will be enough. However, you still need to watch your Pug’s diet to notice when he eats more than he should.
Another option you have is training your Pug daily to help him remain active and obedient. Pugs generally cannot follow complex commands, but they are good at obedience training. Teach them recall, sitting commands, and other beginner-level tasks. Pugs are also suitable for agility training and rallies.
Note: Because of their breathing problems, you should not exercise your Pug outside when the sun is intense.
In conclusion, the CHIWAVA Squeaky Puppy Toy is the Overall Best toy for Pugs. This chew toy has the ideal size for small breeds and has a durable surface. It is also a non-toxic option that will give your dog plenty of playtime. However, it is not a chew-proof toy, so keep it away from teething puppies.
The Nina Ottoson by Outward Hound is the Savvy Pick. It has a unique design that will challenge your dog’s intelligence. With the right amount of treats, it will entertain your Pug for hours, giving you the time you need to rest or work.
Overall, when buying a dog toy for a Pug, you should get a model with the correct size. Pugs and other similar breeds have small jaws and mouths, so you should avoid big toys at all costs.