Originally bred as hunting dogs, Basset Hounds are some of the best dogs for families with small kids. They are energetic, protective, and are happy to take a nap with you at any time. However, this breed requires physical activity, or they can become bored and destructive. Therefore, I recommend investing in stimulating dog toys for your Basset Hound.
The best dog toy for Basset Hounds is the Hide-a-Bee Squeaky Puzzle Toy. It is an incredible puzzle designed to engage your dog’s brain and senses. However, the toy won’t withstand constant aggressive chewing.
In today’s guide, I will take an in-depth look at the advantages and disadvantages of the best dog toys for Basset Hounds. I will discuss the ideal characteristics of toys for these doggos and some necessary information about them.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Hide-a-Bee Squeaky Puzzle Toy
|Eastblue Squeaky Dog Toy
|Nina Ottosson Hound Dog Treat Puzzle
|Best for Destructive Dogs
|Benebone Dental Chew Toy
|Best for Puppies
|Multipet Lambchop Plush Toy
|Best for Senior Dogs
|Vanfine Dog Stick Toy
|Outward Hound Squeaky Toy
Product Reviews for Basset Hound Dog Toys
Best Overall: Hide-a-Bee Squeaky Puzzle Toy
The Hide-a-Bee Squeaky Puzzle Toy is one of the best dog toys you can find for hunting dogs like the Basset Hound or Beagle. Your dog will have to use his brain and body to get the squeaky bees trapped inside the toy. That way, he’ll be engaging every sense, keeping him entertained for long periods.
The toy comes in different sizes, but I recommend the large size for Basset Hounds. It has an overall height of 5.5” (13.9 cm) and a total width of 8” (20.3 cm), making it accessible for Basset Hound mouths. It is an excellent option for indoor and outdoor playtime. You can also use the toy for fetch games as it is very resistant and easy to hold.
This dog toy was designed to reduce boredom, separation anxiety, and stress. It has different textures for the hive and bees, including internal squeakers. Additionally, this toy has a soft surface to protect your dog’s teeth and gums.
One of the main drawbacks of this model is its lack of durability. It won’t endure constant aggressive chewing. So, if our Basset Hound loves to destroy, you should consider other options.
- It is an excellent way to keep your dog entertained and busy.
- This model has different textures and can be used as a fetch toy.
- It has the right size for Basset Hounds.
- The toy was designed to reduce boredom, anxiety, and stress.
- It will engage your dog’s hunting senses.
- The bees and hive have different textures.
- This toy is not a chew-proof option.
Runner-Up: Eastblue Squeaky Dog Toy
The Eastblue Squeaky Dog Toy is another excellent option for medium breeds like the Basset Hound or the Poodle. It is a fetch toy, but that doesn’t mean you can only use it for fetch since it has an innovative design your dog will likely love. The toy has the shape of an American football ball and includes a squeaker inside for more fun.
It is made of non-toxic and environmentally friendly materials, keeping your dog and nature safe. The toy’s surface is highly durable and has multiple textures, ideal for reducing boredom and anxiety. It is 5.4” (13.1 cm) long and 3.1” (7.8 cm) wide, meaning your Basset Hound will have no problem holding it in his mouth.
Another advantage of this toy is the company’s return and replacement policy. If the toy does not meet your needs or the needs of your dog, you can easily contact Eastblue for a full refund or replacement.
However, I do not recommend this toy for senior dogs, dogs with hip dysplasia, or similar diseases. Fetch games can be too intense for their bodies.
- It has an incredible chew-resistant surface with multiple textures.
- This toy is made of high-quality, non-toxic, and eco-friendly materials.
- The toy has the correct dimensions for medium breeds.
- It has an easy-to-hold, safe, and engaging design for any type of dog.
- It includes a powerful squeaker inside the toy.
- The company provides excellent customer service for replacements and refunds.
- It is not a suitable toy for senior dogs or dogs with bone and joint diseases.
Savvy Pick: Nina Ottosson Hound Dog Treat Puzzle
The Nina Ottosson Hound Dog Treat Puzzle could be the best way to keep your dog busy and entertained for multiple hours. This dog puzzle will challenge your Basset Hound and reward him whenever he completes a task. All you have to do is place some treats in the compartments, show him how it works, and let him play.
It comes in four different levels, but I recommend the advanced or intermediate option for Basset Hounds and similar breeds. You should first try to measure your dog’s capacity with training. If you feel your doggo cannot deal with the advanced level, you can try the beginner one.
One other benefit of this toy is its overall design. All Nina Ottosson puzzles and toys are made of high-quality, non-toxic, and completely safe materials. However, that doesn’t mean your dog can eat them or swallow the parts.
The main potential problem with this dog puzzle is your dog’s attention span. If he feels the toy is too complex and challenging, he will quickly lose interest. It is a puzzle toy, so I recommend other options if your dog only wants to chew.
- This puzzle is an excellent option for keeping your doggo entertained for long periods.
- You can choose between different levels, depending on your dog’s mental capacity.
- It is made of high-quality and non-toxic materials.
- The toy was designed to stimulate your dog’s brain and senses.
- This dog puzzle can be too challenging for some dogs.
- It is not a chew-proof nor chew-resistant model.
Best for Destructive Dogs: Benebone Dental Chew Toy
The Benebone Dental Chew Toy is the best chew toy for destructive Basset Hounds and other breeds like the German Shepherd. This toy has a unique bacon flavor and scent, making it more enticing for your dog. It is also highly durable and can withstand constant chewing for many months.
It is an affordable option compared to other chew-resistant dog toys on the market. However, you’ll need to replace this toy after a month or two of constant use. It is made of non-toxic and high-quality materials, but it is still dangerous to let your dog eat it.
This dog chew toy comes in three flavors: bacon, peanut butter, and chicken. So, you can choose the one that your dog prefers. It also has a multi-textured surface and an easy-to-hold design, ideal for breeds with short legs and paws like the Dachshund and Basset Hound.
One of the main disadvantages of this dog toy is the tough surface. It is an excellent option for adult dogs and aggressive chewers. However, I recommend avoiding it if you have a teething puppy or a senior with gum problems.
- This dog toy is one of the best options for destructive dogs.
- It has a multi-textured and flavored surface.
- This chew toy has an enticing scent.
- It comes in three flavors: chicken, peanut butter, and bacon.
- It is made of non-toxic and high-quality materials.
- The toy is highly durable and has a hard surface.
- It is not an ideal option for seniors or teething puppies.
- You need to replace it every month or so.
Best for Puppies: Multipet Lambchop Plush Toy
The Multipet Lambchop Plush Toy is an excellent affordable choice for Basset Hound puppies. This lamb plush-toy is made of eco-friendly, non-toxic, and high-quality materials, designed to keep your puppy safe and entertained. It has an overall size of 10” (25.4 cm), ideal for medium-size breeds like the Boxer and Border Collie.
It has an extremely soft plush exterior, perfect for cuddling at night. The toy’s design also helps puppies feel less anxious, necessary for those first days away from their mother and litter. However, I recommend other toys for teething puppies as this one won’t endure aggressive chewing.
This plush toy is multi-textured, which helps keep your dog entertained. It also includes four squeakers in each paw and one big squeaker in the middle. You can buy a two-pack if you have more than one puppy at home.
The main drawback of this model is that it is meant for cuddling and soft playing, and it won’t resist tug-of-war and other rough activities.
- It is an affordable option with the right size for Basset Hound puppies.
- The toy is made of high-quality, environmentally friendly, and non-toxic materials.
- It includes four squeakers in each paw and one in the middle.
- This toy is the perfect option for nighttime cuddling and naps.
- It was designed to help with separation anxiety.
- It is not a chew-proof or chew-resistant dog toy.
- You cannot use this toy for tug-of-war and other rough games.
Best for Senior Dogs: Vanfine Dog Stick Toy
Older dogs do not have the same strength in their teeth and gums. That’s why choosing a durable toy with a soft and elastic surface like the Vanfine Dog Stick Toy is the ideal option for your senior Basset Hound.
It comes in four designs: a football, baseball, stick, and cube. I recommend the cube option for Basset Hounds. They’ll be able to enjoy it without having to use their short legs.
The toy is made of non-toxic and natural rubber, providing superior safety. It also has a beef-flavored surface your dog will most likely love.
This toy has the right size and weight for your dog to carry it without a problem. It has an overall length of 6.5” (16.5 cm) and a width of 2.7” (6.8 cm). The toy also includes a squeaker inside for more fun. The company provides a lifetime replacement guarantee in case of malfunction or similar problems.
The main drawback of this model is that the squeaker is extremely loud. So, if you don’t want to go crazy every time your dog plays, you should consider other options. I also recommend not getting this toy for destructive chewers.
- This chew toy has the ideal size for senior Basset Hounds.
- It has a soft, durable, beef-flavored, and elastic surface.
- It is made of natural rubber, so it is non-toxic.
- The company provides an excellent replacement policy.
- It was designed to protect your dog’s teeth and gums.
- The squeaker is loud compared to other toys.
Budget Pick: Outward Hound Squeaky Toy
The Outward Hound Squeaky Toy is an excellent affordable dog toy for medium-size breeds like the Basset Hound and Australian Shepherd. It comes in four designs: cow, pig, raccoon, and bunny. Depending on the animal you choose, the toy will make a chirping or a grunting noise.
I recommend the cow or raccoon because they have the correct dimensions for adult Basset Hounds. The toy has an overall length of 9.5” (24.1 cm) and a total height of 7.7” (19.5 cm) while weighing only 0.2 pounds (91 grams). Your dog can use this toy for chewing, fetching, cuddling, indoor and outdoor games.
One more benefit of this toy is its incredible durability. It might look like a cute plushie, but it is made of chew-resistant materials.
However, the main disadvantage of this dog toy is that it is not chew-proof. It is only a chew-resistant model. If you have an aggressive or destructive chewer, you should consider other options.
- It is an affordable dog chew toy with excellent durability.
- The toy has the ideal size for medium-size breeds like Basset Hounds.
- It comes in four designs: cow, raccoon, pig, and bunny.
- It is ideal for indoor and outdoor playtime.
- The cow model makes a grunting noise, thanks to an in-built squeaker.
- It weighs only 0.2 pounds (91 grams).
- It is not a chew-proof toy, only chew-resistant.
Buying Guide: How to Choose a Dog Toy for a Basset Hound
What to Look for in a Dog Toy for Basset Hounds
Here are some aspects to consider when buying a dog toy for a Basset Hound:
- Durability: One of the main characteristics a dog toy needs is good durability. Dogs, especially breeds like Basset Hounds and Golden Retrievers, love chewing and destroying things, So finding a dog toy that can withstand constant chewing is essential.
- Design: Dogs like Basset Hounds are smart but stubborn. They need to be challenged to enjoy a toy. That’s why some of the best toys for these breeds are puzzles. You can use these toys to stimulate their brains while keeping them busy.
- Textures: Your dog will get bored quickly if he only has one toy to play with. However, a toy with multiple textures is ideal for preventing boredom. The more textures a toy has, the more interesting it becomes for your dog.
- Safety: Another essential aspect to consider is the materials used to produce the toy. Most reliable brands use natural or non-toxic materials to keep your dog safe, even if he swallows part of the toy.
- Size: The right size is a must when buying dog toys. If the toy is too small, your dog can swallow it easily, which can be dangerous. However, if the toy is too big, your dog won’t be able to hold it in his mouth, which can cause him to lose interest.
What to Avoid When Buying Toys for Basset Hounds
These are the characteristics to avoid when buying a dog toy for a Basset Hound:
- Toxic materials: The number one thing you need to avoid is buying a dog toy made of toxic materials. Dogs will chew their toys and most likely swallow some of them. That’s why you need a high-quality and safe dog toy.
- Soft toys: Basset Hounds can be very destructive. So, if your dog loves to destroy toys, you cannot buy a non-resistant model. The more sturdy the toy is, the safer it will be for your dog.
- Fetch toys: Basset Hounds are not designed for running. That’s why buying a toy for fetch games won’t work with them. Instead, you should focus on puzzles, tug-of-war, and chew toys.
Are Basset Hounds Destructive?
Basset Hounds were originally bred to help hunters find rabbits and similar animals. They have the right size to go through bushy forests without any issues, and their legs can dig to find their prey. That’s why they can be one of the most destructive breeds alongside Bulldogs and Great Danes.
Your Basset Hound needs to dig and use his brain constantly. If he doesn’t have anything to do, he will get bored and destructive in no time. This problem is even more evident when you leave your Basset Hound alone.
So, getting high-quality chew toys and puzzles should be one of your priorities if you plan to have one of these dogs.
Tip: To avoid destructive behavior in Basset Hounds, you should focus on reducing separation anxiety triggers.
What Are the Characteristics of Basset Hounds?
Here are some characteristics of this amazing breed according to the American Kennel Club:
- Good with kids: Your Basset Hound might not get along with other dogs, but that’s not the case when it comes to children. This breed loves kids, and that’s why they are one of the best breeds for families with young children.
- Obesity: Basset Hounds tend to gain weight quickly, and their bodies cannot handle the extra weight. These dogs have very limited movement because of their short legs, making a proper diet a must.
- Scent hunters: Basset Hounds have a powerful nose and two large ears to track down their prey. Thanks to these two characteristics, they were used for hunting rabbits and foxes.
- Hard to train: Basset hounds are intelligent dogs that excel at many things, but training is not one of them. They have short attention spans and stubborn personalities. However, you can still train them if you use a lot of positive reinforcement and patience.
- Adaptability: These dogs can adapt to any living situation as long as there’s food and a space to rest. You can have them in houses or apartments without any problem. That’s also why they are good options for novice owners.
- Poor health: One important thing to know is that Basset Hounds have overall poor health. They can suffer from hip dysplasia, gastric torsion, glaucoma, and more. So, keeping your dog healthy with a proper diet and exercise is an essential part of owning a Basset Hound.
- Barking and howling: Basset Hounds were trained to bark whenever they found a rabbit or fox. Today, they still love barking and howling even if they are not hunting. So, keep that in mind when choosing to live in a quiet area.
In conclusion, the Best Overall chew toy for Basset Hounds is the Hide-a-Bee Squeaky Puzzle Toy. The toy has excellent durability, a unique design, and multiple textures. It also stimulates your dog’s brain and senses, making it an ideal way to reduce destructive behavior produced by boredom and anxiety.
The Runner-Up toy for Basset Hounds is the Eastblue Squeaky Dog Toy. This chew-resistant dog toy has a multi-textured surface with an easy-to-hold design. It is also made of non-toxic materials, guaranteeing your dog’s safety. This toy is made for fetch, but you can also use it for chewing and other low-intensity games.
Overall, when buying a dog toy for a Basset Hound, you should focus on puzzles and chew toys. This breed has short legs and long ears, meaning they cannot run quickly. So, it is better to find dog toys to stimulate their brains and noses.