English Bulldogs are not the most energetic dogs, but they still require long walks to keep them healthy. When it comes to getting them a suitable collar, you should consider the size first because of their thick necks and comfort needs.
The overall best dog collar for English Bulldogs is the Black Rhino Comfort Collar. This collar is the size you need, easy to adjust, comfortable, and durable. You can choose between many colors depending on your dog’s personality.
This guide outlines the best dog collars for English Bulldogs, from the highest-rated products to the most affordable options.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||Black Rhino Comfort Collar||4.7/5|
|Savvy Pick||Dog Collar USA Flag||4.5/5|
|Budget Pick||Teemerryca Adjustable Leather Dog Collar||4.5/5|
|Best Pick for Puppies||Elite Spanker Adjustable Puppy Collar||4.7/5|
Product Reviews for English Bulldog Collars
Best Overall: Black Rhino Comfort Collar
The Black Rhino Comfort Collar is an excellent choice for your English Bulldog. Not only does this model allow you to choose between three different sizes, but it also allows you to adjust the Bulldog collar to your dog’s neck.
This dog collar is made of high-quality neoprene, allowing it to provide the necessary softness for your dog’s skin. The neck collar also comes with reflective stitching, which can help you find your dog if he ever runs away in the night.
When it comes to drawbacks, this model doesn’t present many. However, it does have the brand’s name in big letters, which some owners might dislike. The buckle(leash attachment) is also a bit tricky to use, but it still works fine.
- The collar is made of high-quality materials.
- It comes with reflective stitching.
- It is durable and resistant.
- It is soft and lightweight.
- You can choose between three sizes.
- It is adjustable.
- You’ll have to get used to the brand tag in the middle of the collar.
- The buckle is not easy to use.
Savvy Pick: Dog Collar USA Flag
The USA Flag Dog Collar is an excellent choice for patriotic English Bulldogs and their owners. So, if you love the USA flag and you want to show it to your neighbors, this could be a suitable collar for you.
It offers many benefits besides the style. For instance, this model is easy to adjust to your dog’s neck thanks to its high-quality buckle.
The large dog collar is made of soft and hypoallergenic materials that will make it more comfortable for your dog. Additionally, you’ll be able to find models between 16” and 25” (40.6 and 63.5cm). The right size for an English Bulldog is between 18” and 23” (45.7 and 58.4cm).
However, this model does present some drawbacks. For instance, the collar itself is not as durable as the buckle. It can wear down quickly if exposed to the elements for long periods.
Another thing to consider is that the part of the collar that links it to the leash is not sturdy, so it might break if your dog pulls hard. Because they can be stubborn dogs, I do not recommend it as a training collar.
- It is easy to adjust.
- The buckle is made of resistant materials.
- It has a USA flag.
- The collar is made of soft and hypoallergenic materials.
- It is excellent for thick-necked English Bulldogs.
- The link of the collar to the leash is not sturdy.
- The collar itself is not the most durable or resistant.
Budget Pick: Teemerryca Adjustable Leather Dog Collar
The Teemerryca Adjustable Dog Collar is a budget-friendly option for your English Bulldog. It provides a unique style that can make your dog look distinct from others.
You can choose between three colors depending on your dog’s gender and personality. It is also the perfect size for English Bulldogs, and it makes it easier to adjust it to your dog’s neck and chest.
Additionally, this collar is made of highly durable leather. It comes with a D-ring that fits almost every leash size on the market. It has many incredible features, and all of them for an affordable price.
However, you should know that this leather collar won’t be the best option if your dog is a heavy chewer. It has a design with spikes that could harm him if he swallowed them. Apart from that, the D-ring is not strong enough for constant hard pulls.
- You can choose between three different colors.
- The collar is the right size for English Bulldogs.
- It is made of durable leather.
- The D-ring of the collar fits almost any leash.
- It is easy to adjust to your dog’s neck.
- It provides an excellent style for males and females.
- It is pretty affordable.
- It is not the best option if your English Bulldog loves to chew on everything.
- If your dog pulls hard and constantly, you should avoid it.
Best Pick for Puppies: Elite Spanker Adjustable Puppy Collar
The Elite Spanker Adjustable Puppy Collar is a good option for your English bulldog puppy. It is made of soft nylon for decent comfort. It also has military-grade durability that will ensure your dog will be using the collar for a long time.
It comes with a UTX buckle that makes it easier to adjust the collar to your dog’s neck. Additionally, you can choose between four different colors and three sizes depending on your puppy’s breed and personality. The brand also offers an excellent warranty of 90 days for a full refund or replacement.
The main drawback of this collar is that if your puppy pulls a lot, it can loosen it. You should also avoid letting your dog chew on the collar, which can happen during the teething stage.
- It is made of soft, high-quality materials.
- It is easy to adjust to your puppy’s neck.
- It has a durable UTX buckle.
- You can find it in three different sizes and four colors.
- The brand offers an excellent warranty.
- If your puppy pulls a lot, it can loosen the collar.
Buying Guide: How to Choose a Dog Collar for an English Bulldog
What Size Collar Should I Get for an English Bulldog?
Dog collars for English Bulldogs should be around 18” to 23” (46 to 65 cm) depending on neck size. Knowing the weight of your English Bulldog can also help you find the correct collar size.
What Kind of Collar Is Best for an English Bulldog?
There are certain features you should look for in a dog collar for your English Bulldog.
- Size: When it comes to dog collars, the right size is essential. All dogs are different, and every breed requires a different collar size. For instance, Bulldogs are more prone to suffer from obesity, and a tight collar can be uncomfortable for them. So, find the right size for your English Bulldog before buying one.
- Resistance: Resistance or durability is essential for English Bulldogs because they tend to be more aggressive chewers than other breeds. If they find a way to chew on the collar, it will probably break quickly. You may also want to buy them chew proof dog bed if you are worried about your pup destroying that too.
- Softness: English Bulldogs tend to have more sensitive skin than other breeds, and a stiff collar can irritate their skins. This is an even bigger problem if your dog likes to pull during walks. A dog collar made of soft materials can provide your dog with the comfort he needs. You should avoid getting a prong collar or choke collar to protect your pups neck.
- Style: English Bulldogs are beautiful and stylish, so getting a dog collar that matches their personality is something you should consider.
- Hypoallergenic materials: Some dogs, especially purebreds, suffer from allergies. Getting a dog collar with hypoallergenic materials can be beneficial for you and your dog.
Is a Collar or a Dog Harness Best for an English Bulldog?
Harness and collars serve very similar purposes, but each one offers unique advantages that the other doesn’t. If you want to buy a new collar or harness for your English Bulldog, you should consider the following.
When it comes to dog training on the leash, you might want to consider getting a harness. Bulldogs are not the easiest dogs to train, and they tend to pull a lot. The constant pulling can be harmful to their necks and their skin. So, in this case, a harness could be more beneficial than a dog collar.
Safety and Comfort
Another aspect to consider is the safety and comfort of your dog. For instance, some dogs, like mine, hate having a harness, and when you put it on them, they will literally stop moving until you remove it. If that’s the case for your English Bulldog, then a collar would be the right option.
On the other hand, if your dog pulls a lot when you go out for a walk, a dog collar could be uncomfortable and unsafe for him.
Identification is essential for dogs, especially if your dog loves to run away every time you open the door. A soft and comfortable collar with a nametag on it can be the difference between losing your dog and finding him after a couple of hours.
How Much Exercise Does an English Bulldog Need?
English Bulldogs might seem like chunky and lazy dogs, but they can have a lot of energy. They need at least one hour of exercise a day to keep them healthy and avoid heart problems and obesity.
However, suppose your English Bulldog won’t exercise. In that case, it will be up to you to ensure he gets the necessary physical stimulation throughout the day.
An hour of exercise will keep him active, and then he can spend the rest of the day laying around and chewing on stuff.
How to Stop an English Bulldog Pulling on a Walk
They might not be the biggest dogs, but English Bulldogs are pretty strong and powerful. If your English Bulldog pulls while on the leash, it might be uncomfortable not just for him but for you too.
Here’s what you can do:
The best thing you can do with your dog is to begin training since he is a puppy. By two months, most puppies have the skill to pay attention for at least a couple of minutes, so use that to your advantage.
The sooner you start training your dog to sit or stop misbehaving, the easier it will be to teach him to walk on the leash.
Another excellent thing to do is to start with the smallest and easiest commands. Teaching your English Bulldog to sit on command will not only make it easy for you to train other commands, but it will help you control him when he tries to pull during a walk.
This video shows you how to train the sit command:
Train Him To Pay Attention
Getting your English Bulldog’s attention might sound easy, but it is a tricky process. Dogs do not have the same concentration as humans, and their focus tends to be even lower than that of a small kid.
However, it is not impossible to get your dog’s attention. Start by teaching him his name or command you want him to respond to. Use treats every time you call him, but don’t show them to him. Just give them when he comes to you. Repeat this process for as long as necessary. Eventually, your dog will learn to focus on you if he wants a treat.
The easiest way to train a dog is using treats. Most dogs, at least Bulldogs, tend to be highly food-motivated. So, using treats to get their attention is the most efficient thing you can do to accelerate your dog’s training process.
Do Not Reward Bad Behavior
Finally, the one thing you should avoid is rewarding bad behavior. If your dog pulls because he wants to play somewhere, don’t allow him to play until he calms down. Let him know that if he pulls, he won’t get what he wants.
If you are looking for a dog collar for your English Bulldog, you should consider the Black Rhino Comfort Collar. It offers all the necessary features for your dog, from the right size and durability to comfort and style.
Overall, the best dog collar for an English Bulldog is between 18” to 23” (46 to 65 cm). That size will ensure your dog’s comfort when walking or just using the collar for identification.
Additionally, you should also look for a collar made of soft hypoallergenic materials to prevent any skin-related problems.