Pitbulls have a negative reputation as a dangerous and aggressive breed. However, many owners adore them for their loving personalities. If you’re looking to care for your Pittie, this guide contains the best dog beds for Pitbulls. Treat your pup well, and you should have a loyal life companion.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed||4.6/5|
|Runner-Up||Carhartt Durable Canvas Dog Bed||4.5/5|
|Savvy Pick||Kuranda PVC Chewproof Dog Bed||4.6/5|
|Bargain Pick||Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer||4.5/5|
|Luxury Pick||K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Nesting Bed||4/5|
|Best Pick for Senior Dogs||K9 Ballistics Easy Clean Dog Bed||4.8/5|
|Best Pick for Puppies||SPORT PET Luxury Waterproof Dog Bed||4.1/5|
|Best Pick for Hot Climates||Coolaroo The Original Elevated Pet Bed||4.6/5|
|Best Pick for Cold Climates||K9 Ballistics Round Deep Den Dog Bed||4.6/5|
|Best Picks for Joint Problems||Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed||4.8/5|
Product Reviews for Pitbull Beds
Best Overall: K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed is the overall best dog bed for Pitbulls. It has a genuinely resistant design that should be able to stand up to destructive pups.
The main drawcard of this raised dog bed is its durable exterior. It combines a sturdy aluminum frame with tightly stretched ballistic fabric. Each edge of the material is fully covered to prevent your pup from getting leverage for chewing.
Because the pet bed is elevated, it allows ample air to circulate. This serves two purposes: it can keep your pup cool in summer, and it reduces the likelihood of allergic reactions. It is difficult for mold to grow on an elevated bed like this one.
It comes pre-assembled and is also very easy to clean. The fabric repels dirt and water, so you only need to run a wet cloth over the surface. I recommend giving it a wipe down once a week to keep it in good condition.
Because of its simple rectangular shape, the bed fits inside many crates. This makes it a good ally for crate training. If your pup prefers not to sleep on the floor of a dog crate or cage, the bed can give extra support.
The main disadvantage of this Pitbull dog bed is that it has no cushioning. It has a firm surface, so it’s not suitable for elderly pups with mobility problems. You will also need to regularly tighten the legs as they loosen over time.
- The aluminum frame and ballistic fabric are resistant to damage.
- The durable dog bed fits easily inside standard crates.
- The elevated design helps improve airflow.
- The company promises a Chew Proof Warranty.
- The raised bed is easy to clean.
- It comes pre-assembled.
- It is waterproof.
- It is a significant financial investment.
- It doesn’t have any cushioning.
- You need to regularly retighten the legs.
Runner-Up: Carhartt Durable Canvas Dog Bed
The Carhartt Durable Canvas Dog Bed is the runner-up for the best dog bed for Pitbulls. It has a rugged outer and pillowy design that combines comfort with durability.
It has a cozy cushion design with polyester filling. The polyester sits inside an interior cushion, allowing it to maintain its shape. It is thin enough that you can place it inside a crate or at the end of your bed for daytime naps.
I like that the exterior is 100% cotton canvas because not many dog beds use purely natural materials. If your Pitbull is prone to skin allergies, this natural fabric should decrease the likelihood of reactions.
The cushion is pretty durable. The outer layer is resistant to water and dirt. Plus, you can remove it and throw it in the washing machine if you need it. For dogs that like to scratch into their beds, the fabric should withstand the damage.
However, it isn’t suitable for heavy chewers. If your Pittie likes to use his strong jaws on his bedding, I recommend choosing a chew proof dog bed instead. The fabric can also be noisy, which could annoy you if your pup tosses and turns a lot during the night.
Overall, the dog cushion is reasonably priced for what you get. It doesn’t have the same level of resistance as the metal frame dog beds, but it has extra cushioning for comfort.
- The exterior is a hypoallergenic cotton canvas.
- It is resistant to water and dirt.
- The filling is firm polyester.
- Machine washable cover that is removable.
- It can resist general wear and tear.
- The soft cushion is comfortable.
- It is thin enough to fit inside a crate.
- The fabric is noisy.
- It isn’t suitable for extremely destructive chewers.
Savvy Pick: Kuranda PVC Chewproof Dog Bed
The Kuranda PVC Chewproof Dog Bed is the Savvy Pick for Pitbulls. It has many of the same features as the K9 Ballistics model but at a more accessible price.
It has a resistant PVC frame with Cordura fabric. This material is similar to canvas but is considered more durable and resistant to abrasions. Therefore, it can withstand your dog scratching into the fabric with no problems.
The fabric slides entirely inside the frame. Therefore, there are no exposed edges for your pup to chew on. If your Pitbull usually destroys his dog bed, you should consider this option. You can also put it inside a crate to avoid him destroying furniture while you’re at work or asleep.
Because it is elevated, it could be an excellent option for Pitbulls that overheat quickly. If you live in a hot climate or don’t have air conditioning in summer, it could provide some relief. However, the lack of cushioning could be too cold in the middle of winter.
The main disadvantage of this pitbull bed is how difficult it is to put together. If you’re handy, it shouldn’t pose any problems. However, if you’re a bit DIY-clueless like me, it could be a full afternoon project.
Overall, I recommend this dog bed for Pitbulls that are hell-bent on chewing everything. If you’re going to spend the money, it’s better to buy something that could withstand the damage for longer.
- It is more affordable than similar chew proof beds.
- The strong PVC frame and Cordura fabric resist chewing and other destructive behavior.
- The material is hypoallergenic and suitable for sensitive skin.
- The elevated design provides relief in hot climates.
- It has UV resistant properties.
- The rectangular shape fits inside most standard crates.
- The firm surface provides orthopedic support.
- The bed doesn’t have any cushioning or side supports.
- It can be challenging to assemble.
Bargain Pick: Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer
The Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer is the best budget dog bed for Pitbulls. It is soft and cozy, but with a high-quality and resistant design.
It is surprisingly resistant for its price. The orthopedic bed has a thin cushion design with polyester material. The true resistance comes from its sewing, with thick seams on all the edges. The overall design is durable and should be able to stand up to mild-moderate chewing.
The bed is suitable for inside and outside. If you want to use it in the garden, the material resists UV sun damage and repels water. Inside, it fits nicely inside a crate or at the foot of your bed.
However, it isn’t fully waterproof, so it may not be suitable for puppies going through potty training. If you do have accidents, you can wash the entire bed in the machine. However, it can take a while to dry because the cover isn’t removable.
The bed is cushioned and supportive, with enough comfort for Pitbull puppies and adults. The attractive color with a bone design in the middle of the cushion is a nice touch. However, it may not have sufficient support for senior Pitties.
Overall, this budget dog bed has a decent level of durability. If your dog is not excessively destructive, it could be a good option.
- The bed is very affordable.
- You can use it inside or outside.
- The fabric is resistant to UV damage.
- The cushioning is padded and supportive.
- The polyester outer is resistant to chewing.
- You can machine-wash and dry the bed.
- It comes in three attractive colors.
- It fits easily in a crate.
- It is not entirely resistant to water.
- Does not offer a removable cover.
- Not strong enough for the aggressive chewer.
Luxury Pick: K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Nesting Bed
The K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Nesting Bed is the best luxury dog bed for Pitbulls. It strikes the right balance between comfort and a long-lasting, durable design.
Various features of the bed protect it against damage. It uses tough, rip-stop fabric that prevents your pup from getting a grip and tearing the material. That surface also protects against scratching from sharp nails and normal nesting behavior.
The edges of the cushion are fully sealed with heavy-duty seams. The zipper hides under a durable flap to prevent your doggo from grabbing it in his teeth. Overall, it should be able to stand up to all but the most vigorous and most destructive chewers. While not an indestructible bed, this option gives a heavy chewer a tough test.
The inside of the bed is also resistant. It has a waterproof lining to prevent damage to the memory foam mattress. This memory foam is firm but supportive, potentially providing respite for your dog’s joints.
You can entirely remove and wash the bed cover. I recommend doing this once a week or two if your Pitbull is particularly sensitive to skin allergies. Overall, the bed prevents allergens, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Overall, this memory foam dog bed is a pricey investment. However, it could be worth it if you’re sick of wasting money on mattresses that don’t last.
- It has rip-stop fabric to prevent tearing.
- It has a comfortable and supportive memory foam mattress.
- The bed has a hidden zipper to prevent breakage.
- It has a water-resistant lining to protect against accidents.
- The company has a Chew Proof Promise.
- The bed is free from allergens.
- It is easy to clean.
- The shape fits inside a crate.
- The price is a significant investment.
- It is not suitable for the most aggressive chewers.
Best Pick for Senior Dogs: K9 Ballistics Easy Clean Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics Easy Clean Dog Bed is the best dog bed for senior Pitbulls. It has sufficient support and protection against accidents that can happen with older Pitties.
Aging dogs have different physical needs, and this dog bed tries to accommodate them. The main selling point is the 5-inch orthopedic memory foam mattress. If your Pitbull has arthritis or problems moving, this may help to relieve some of the pain and discomfort on your dog’s body.
An older dog can have problems with incontinence. The K9 Ballistics bed accommodates these problems with material that is urine-proof and resistant to odors. If needed, you can remove the entire cover and wash it in the machine.
I also like that the orthopedic dog bed has bolsters around all of the sides, with a small gap. The space allows your dog to climb up and down easily, while the supports could help him to feel more secure.
The material is durable but comfortable. The exterior is a mixture of furniture-grade microfiber and faux fur. However, it isn’t suitable for aggressive chewers. Most Pitbulls don’t have this behavior in their senior years, but you know your dog better than anyone.
Overall, the dog bed doesn’t come cheap. However, the senior-specific features could make it an excellent investment for an aging Pitbull.
- The mattress has 5 inches (12.7cm) of orthopedic memory foam to support aging joints.
- It has side bolsters for extra support and comfort.
- The combination of microfiber fabric and faux fur is durable.
- You can remove the cover quickly and easily.
- The material is odor-resistant and urine-proof in case of accidents.
- The bed has a high-end price tag.
- It is not suitable for heavy chewers.
Best Pick for Puppies: SPORT PET Luxury Waterproof Dog Bed
The SPORT PET Luxury Waterproof Dog Bed is the best option for Pitbull puppies. It can take a long time to house train puppies, depending on their personality. Therefore, yours may have an accident on his bed. Thankfully, this model is completely waterproof.
You can also remove the entire cover and machine-wash it to remove urine smells. It is essential to do this because dogs like to pee in the same places repeatedly. As long as you remove the scent and continue with potty-training, your puppy should eventually learn.
It has a round shape that is perfect for puppies to curl up and sleep in. I also like the warm faux fur outer, which is particularly suitable for cool climates or winter. However, this fabric is a bit thin. I recommend supervising your puppy while he is going through his teething period.
The bed has a high-density foam stuffing. However, it can flatten in the middle over time. I recommend upgrading to a more supportive model once your Pitbull reaches adulthood.
- It uses soft and supportive high-density foam.
- The shape supports dogs who curl up to sleep.
- It has fluffy and warm outer material.
- It is waterproof and machine-washable.
- The bed is easy to put back together after washing.
- There are only two size options.
- It may flatten in the middle over time.
- The fabric is too thin for excessive teething.
Best Pick for Hot Climates: Coolaroo The Original Elevated Pet Bed
The Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed is the best option for summer or hot climates. Although Pitbulls have a better than average tolerance for hot weather, they may still struggle in desert climates when the mercury is rising.
This bed has a 7-inch (17.8cm) elevation and very breathable fabric. This design allows air to circulate freely and keep your dog’s tummy cool. Dogs don’t sweat, so this increased airflow can help your Pitbull cool down without him having to pant excessively.
The fabric is also an excellent hypoallergenic choice. It prevents the growth of mold, mildew, and dust mites. All of these allergens commonly provoke allergic reactions, so it is a healthy option.
One downside of this bed is that it is very hard. Although the material is low-pressure to reduce joint pain, it doesn’t have a mattress or padding like other beds. If your Pitbull prefers soft surfaces, he may not take to this model.
It can also be challenging to assemble the frame. However, it is durable and resistant to chewing, so it should give you at least a few years of use.
- This bed for Pitbulls is very affordable.
- The 7-inch (17.8cm) elevation improves airflow.
- The material is low-impact to reduce joint pain.
- Its frame is very durable and resistant.
- The material is breathable and hypoallergenic.
- It is portable.
- It has no padding or cushioning.
- It can be challenging to assemble.
Best Pick for Cold Climates: K9 Ballistics Round Deep Den Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics Round Deep Den Dog Bed is an excellent choice for Pitbulls in winter and cold climates. This breed doesn’t have the best tolerance for cold weather, so it’s crucial to provide ample warmth during the night.
The bed has raised edges and a round base. This helps trap heat inside and supports Pitbulls that like to curl up. Although the fabric is very durable, it also has plenty of softness to keep your Pittie cozy and warm.
K9 Ballistics is known for its excellent, durable dog beds that can withstand chewing, digging, and scratching. This model is not the most heavy-duty option, but it can handle light to moderate destructive behavior.
When needed, you can wash the entire bed by removing the bottom pad and putting the rest in the washing machine. However, you will need quite a large unit to accommodate this bed. Instead, you may like to use a bathtub or professional laundry.
- The raised edges help trap warmth inside.
- It is cozy and cuddly.
- It is free from zippers to discourage dogs from chewing.
- You can wash the entire bed.
- The ripstop fabric is durable but comfortable.
- It is only suitable for light to moderate chewers.
- The cover is not removable.
- It is one of the pricier dog beds for Pitbulls.
Best Pick for Joint Problems: Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed is the best choice for Pitbulls with joint problems. Suppose you have a senior Pittie or one with a mobility disorder like hip dysplasia. In that case, it’s essential to invest in a high-quality mattress.
Big Barker conducted a scientific study for an entire month with this mattress. The company had large dogs with joint problems sleep on the bed every night and observed the results. It found that the mattress significantly reduced joint pain, increased mobility, and improved quality of life.
This is one of the priciest options on the market, but it could be worth it for those clinically-proven results. It is also durable and easy to maintain, with a removable cover that you can machine-wash. If the bed doesn’t stand up to your Pitbull, the company offers an extended ten-year warranty.
However, this is specially designed for large dogs. If your Pittie is on the smaller side, the firm foam could be painful for him.
- The mattress is clinically-proven to reduce joint pain.
- It can improve your dog’s gait and quality of life.
- The company offers an extended guarantee.
- It uses premium quality memory foam.
- You can remove and wash the cover.
- It may be too firm for smaller Pitties.
- It is one of the most expensive models for this breed.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Dog Bed for a Pitbull
What Size Bed Does a Pitbull Need?
The Pitbull is not an officially recognized breed. However, people usually refer to the American Pitbull Terrier when talking about Pitbulls. Some people also argue that an American Staffordshire Terrier is also a Pitbull.
Males of this breed grow to between 18 and 19 inches (45.7 and 48.3cm). The females are slightly smaller and often stand between 17 and 18 inches (43.2 and 45.7cm).
Weight varies significantly between individual Pitties. Your pup could weigh between 30 and 85 pounds (13.6 and 38.6kg) when fully grown. If your dog is not yet at his adult size, you should assume he will be a similar size to his parents.
The dog bed for your Pitbull should comfortably accommodate the length of his body. He should be able to stretch out without falling off the mattress.
What Features Should a Pitbull Dog Bed Have?
There are a few standard features you should look for in a dog bed for Pitbulls:
- Supportive mattress: Like many other breeds, Pitbulls can develop hip dysplasia. This painful genetic condition affects the hip joints and can reduce mobility. A supportive mattress could help to relieve some of the pain and discomfort.
- Hypoallergenic fabrics: Skin allergies are widespread in Pitties. You should choose a hypoallergenic dog bed with adequate ventilation. This design prevents the growth of dust mites and can reduce allergic reactions.
- Crate-appropriate: Especially when they are young dogs, Pitbulls can be very destructive. We recommend crate training for everyone’s safety. A rectangular mattress that fits inside a crate is the best option.
- Durable materials: Many Pitbulls love to chew everything, including their beds. We recommend choosing ultra-durable mattresses that can withstand their powerful jaws. Otherwise, your new dog bed may not last very long. A chew toy may be a great compliment to a new bedas a positive outlet for your Pittie’s chewing habit.
What Should You Avoid in a Pitbull Dog Bed?
When choosing a bed for your Pitbull, you should avoid the following qualities:
- Tough beds: Very firm mattresses could be painful for your Pittie if he struggles with hip dysplasia or other mobility problems. Older Pitbulls may need supportive memory foam mattresses to reduce any pain or discomfort.
- Very soft beds: Soft and squishy mattresses don’t provide enough support for a large dog like a Pitbull. Soft materials are also easier to bite and chew, so they may not last long if you have a destructive pup.
- Thin materials: Pitbulls are active breeds and often running all over the house. Their nails can easily tear up delicate fabrics in the middle of a zoomies session. Fine materials are also easy to chew apart, so they won’t last with mouthy pups.
- Scratchy synthetic fabrics: Because of the vulnerability to skin allergies, you should avoid itchy synthetic materials. Stick with natural materials like cotton or polyester blends with plenty of airflow. Breathable fabrics are less likely to provoke an allergic reaction.
Why Does My Pitbull Tear Up His Dog Bed?
Destructive behavior is a common issue with many Pitbulls. Maybe, like my dog, yours likes to chew on the wooden furniture around the house. Or perhaps he likes to tear up his brand new dog bed, making you wonder why you spent money on it in the first place.
There are several reasons why your Pitbull destroys his bed. These reasons range from age to boredom or anxiety.
If he is still a puppy, he may be going through the process of teething. This is a natural process where your pup loses all of his puppy teeth, and the adult ones come through. Because of the pain and discomfort, he may chew more to cope.
Adult Pitbulls may chew from boredom or anxiety. This is an active breed that loves to be around his family. If you leave him alone for long periods without exercise or attention, he will look for new ways to expend energy.
You may need to consult with a trainer or vet to address the destructive behavior. We also recommend crate training, which we will cover in the next section.
How to Crate Train a Pitbull
Crate training could be an excellent idea for your Pitbull. By having a secure place for your pup when you’re not at home or asleep, you can ensure that he doesn’t destroy your house. It can also help to potty train Pitbull puppies.
To crate train your Pitbull, just follow these steps:
- Find a crate that is comfortable for your dog. He should be able to stretch out and turn around as needed. You may like to put a blanket or pillows in the crate.
- Start small. Put your Pitbull in the crate for just ten minutes at a time. Give him a treat when he goes in and steadily build up the time inside the container.
- Build positive associations. Feed your Pittie his meals in the crate. You can also give him special treats, so he sees the crate as a positive place.
- Do not reward crying. If your Pitbull is whimpering, don’t let him out. Wait until he stops crying to open the door. Otherwise, he may learn that crying gets him out.
Crate training can take anywhere from a few days to a few months. Consistency is key. You should never leave your pup in a crate for longer than he can hold his bladder, or else you risk accidents.
In conclusion, the Best Overall award goes to the K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed. The resistant design can withstand even the most vigorous destructive chewers.
The Carhartt Durable Canvas Dog Bed is the Runner-Up. This extra-durable cushion bed is fully resistant to damage and water.
The Savvy Pick is the Kuranda PVC Chewproof Dog Bed. It has hypoallergenic fabric and a durable frame at a reasonable price.
When choosing a dog bed for your Pitbull, you should seek out resistant designs that won’t provoke allergic reactions. Supportive mattresses are also a high priority for this active breed.
Lastly, you should consider a bed that fits inside a crate. Crate training is an excellent way to keep your Pitbull safe and stop destructive chewing when you’re not around.
No matter which dog bed you choose, remember that your Pitbull is a part of your family. Allow him to sleep close to you, and everyone can enjoy a restful night.