The formidable Great Dane is the tallest dog breed in the world, but he is surprisingly sweet and family-friendly. However, accommodating his enormous body can be a challenge. You might be wondering what kind of dog bed will be comfortable and suitable for your Great Dane.
The overall best dog bed for Great Danes is the Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed with Pillow-Top. It features the orthopedic support necessary for this giant breed, with a memory foam mattress and head pillow. It is also extremely durable and long-lasting.
In this guide, I review the pros and cons of the best dog beds for Great Danes. I also discuss how to choose the best mattress for your Dane and where he should sleep.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed with Pillow-Top||4.8/5|
|Savvy Pick||Furhaven Ergonomic Luxe Lounger||4.4/5|
|Best Pick for Puppies||PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed||4.7/5|
|Bargain Pick||Furhaven Pet Orthopedic Sofa-Style Couch||4.4/5|
|Best Pick for Hot Climates||Sealy Lux Quad Layer Dog Bed||4.6/5|
|Best Pick for Senior Dogs||The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed||4.4/5|
|Best Pick for Cold Climates||Treat a Dog Puprug Faux Fur Dog Bed||4.5/5|
Product Reviews for Great Dane Beds
Best Overall: Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed with Pillow-Top
The Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed with Pillow-Top is the overall best dog bed for Great Danes. It comes from a reputable brand that has proven its effectiveness against arthritis and joint pain. With the clinical evidence to back it up, this mattress can help any Danes with joint problems.
It uses four different layers of foam, including comfort, support, and contoured foam. Each layer contributes to an overall seven inches of mattress. Along with the pillow head-rest, the design could be excellent for any dogs that need extra support.
The bed is also easy to wash. It has a soft and smooth microfiber cover that you can remove and machine-wash on a cold cycle. This feature could be useful if your dog struggles with allergies or just for general cleanliness.
The primary drawback of this bed is the price. It is a premium mattress with a top-dollar price tag. However, because of its quality, it could potentially last the lifetime of your Great Dane. Therefore, it could be an excellent long-term investment.
- The brand is clinically proven to alleviate joint pain in large and giant breed dogs.
- It has a soft and comfortable microfiber outer cover.
- The company offers an extended warranty for their dog beds.
- The raised pillow section can alleviate head and neck pain.
- The mattress uses four layers of premium foam.
- It does not release harmful or smelly gasses.
- The high price may not be accessible for all.
- It is heavy and bulky.
Savvy Pick: Furhaven Ergonomic Luxe Lounger
The Furhaven Ergonomic Luxe Lounger is the Savvy Pick for Great Danes. I like its distinctive shape and design, which could reduce any pain from hip dysplasia or other joint problems.
It has five inches (12.7cm) of medical-grade orthopedic foam, densely packed and supportive. Many Great Danes develop mobility problems because of their size and rapid growth, so this design could be beneficial.
I also like the overall design of the bed. It is aesthetically pleasing and modern, with multiple large sizes that could be suitable for your pup. You can also wash the cover in your washing machine, which is always a bonus.
The main downside of the bed is the material. Although it is soft and comfortable, the faux fur is easy to tear and may shed. Therefore, it probably isn’t a suitable option if your Great Dane is destructive or going through his teething period.
Overall, I recommend this dog bed for non-destructive Danes that need a little extra support.
- The shape of the mattress can simultaneously cradle and cushion your dog’s body.
- It uses soft and warm faux fur.
- The bed has a thick layer of orthopedic foam.
- You can use your washing machine with the removable cover.
- There are several large sizes that can suit Great Danes.
- The dog bed has a mid-range price for this breed.
- The bed is attractive and contemporary.
- The fabric can shed and may not be suitable for destructive chewers.
- The material could be too hot in summer and warm climates.
Best Pick for Puppies: PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is the best dog bed for Great Dane puppies. It is large enough to accommodate their fully grown size but has many features suitable for the puppy stage.
The mattress uses memory foam, which can help relieve pressure and keep your dog’s spine in alignment. Because Great Danes are so vulnerable to joint and bone problems as they grow, it could be better to plan for this from the start.
It can also withstand puppy teething and accidents. The material is strong enough to withstand light chewing and has a waterproof liner for any potty training slip-ups. However, I recommend supervising your puppy during the teething period in case they break through and try to eat the foam.
The main downside of this bed is the zippers. They are flimsy and a bit breakable, so you should take care when using them. This is a bit disappointing at this price point, but it’s a small negative in an otherwise excellent dog bed.
- It has a supportive construction with side bolsters and a memory foam mattress.
- The foam is free from dangerous chemicals and odors.
- The cover is durable enough to withstand puppy teething and chewing.
- A waterproof inner liner can protect the mattress from potty training accidents.
- The assembly is quick and easy.
- It is one of the more expensive choices for Great Danes.
- The zippers are a bit flimsy.
Bargain Pick: Furhaven Pet Orthopedic Sofa-Style Couch
The Furhaven Pet Orthopedic Sofa-Style Couch is the best budget dog bed for Great Danes. Despite its low price, it has a supportive design with orthopedic egg crate foam and side bolsters. Overall, it could reduce pressure in the spine, head, and joints.
It has a cute sofa design that can blend in well with most living room decor. The material is a warm, quilted fabric that is both cozy and reasonably resistant. However, it isn’t a viable option for destructive dogs or puppies going through their teething period.
The outer cover is removable and machine-washable, so you can keep it clean and hygienic for your pup. However, you should take care to use a cold, gentle cycle and air dry the exterior. Otherwise, it may fall apart over time.
The Jumbo size can accommodate smaller Danes and dogs that like to sleep curled up. However, larger dogs may need the next size up. The Jumbo Plus option is less affordable and, therefore, may not be suitable if you are on a strict budget.
- It is an affordable option, especially considering the size.
- The sofa shape with bolsters can help support the head, neck, and spine.
- The quilted outer is comfortable and resistant.
- It uses high-quality orthopedic egg crate foam.
- The outer cover is easy to clean.
- The bed comes in many different attractive colors.
- Destructive Danes or teething puppies could destroy this bed.
- Larger Great Danes may need to size up to the less affordable Jumbo Plus size.
Best Pick for Hot Climates: Sealy Lux Quad Layer Dog Bed
The Sealy Lux Quad Layer Dog Bed is the best option for Great Danes in hot climates. Its cushioned design features a layer of cooling gel that helps your dog regulate his temperature. This could be a lifesaver during the warm summer months.
It could also be an excellent choice for Great Danes with joint pain. The mattress uses Quad Element foam, which combines layers of memory, orthopedic, and HD foam. The latter has pro-charcoal, which removes odors from the bed and keeps it smelling fresh.
Furthermore, it includes a waterproof lining to protect the mattress. If you have a young puppy or an incontinent senior, this could save you having to wash the entire bed.
While the cover is soft and comfortable cotton, it may not stand up to nesting behavior. The fabric is a bit thin, so it may wear down and even tear over time. If your pup likes to shift around a lot to get comfortable, it may not be the best choice.
- The mattress uses cooling gel to reduce your dog’s body temperature.
- It uses thick, Quad Element foam for support and comfort.
- It has a pro-charcoal base that absorbs odors and keeps the bed fresh.
- The cover has natural cotton and is machine-washable.
- It includes a waterproof liner to protect the mattress against accidents.
- The zippers are hidden to prevent destructive chewing.
- The bolsters are too low to give proper support to the neck and head.
- The cover can wear down quickly with digging or nesting behavior.
Best Pick for Senior Dogs: The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed is my pick for senior Great Danes. It uses two layers of orthopedic and support foam to focus on both comfort and joint health. If your old pup struggles with arthritis, hip dysplasia, or other problems, it could help alleviate some pain.
It also accommodates senior dogs that struggle with incontinence. A waterproof protector covers the foam mattress and prevents any liquids from permeating the surface. You can also remove the cover to wash it as needed.
I like that the bed gives you a lot of choices. It comes in many different sizes, colors, and patterns. Therefore, you can customize it to your home decor or personality. Many of the dimensions are suitable for Great Danes, which is always a bonus.
However, the outer fabric is a bit thin. It is soft and warm but not strong enough to withstand nesting or digging. You should also be careful when washing the cover because it may further weaken the fabric over time.
- The bed is available in multiple sizes for large and giant breeds.
- It comes in various colors and designs.
- The mattress has six inches (15.2cm) total of orthopedic and support foam.
- The mattress has a waterproof protector.
- The removable cover is washable and dries quickly.
- It could prevent joint problems in both young and senior dogs.
- The cover uses soft material like a blanket for extra warmth.
- The cover material is a bit thin and may wear down quickly.
- The fabric can show stains.
Best Pick for Cold Climates: Treat a Dog Puprug Faux Fur Dog Bed
The Treat a Dog Puprug is the best dog bed for Great Danes in cold climates. It uses a thick faux fur material, which helps keep your dog warm during the winter. The overall design is also contemporary and attractive, looking very different from standard dog beds.
Inside the softcover, the bed uses an orthopedic memory foam mattress. It is thick enough to support and help reduce pain and thin enough for dogs with joint problems to get up and down.
It has a water-resistant liner to protect the mattress, which could be suitable for young puppies or seniors. The bottom of the bed also has a non-slip layer to prevent any accidents on slippery surfaces.
Because of the softness of the bed, it is not a viable option for destructive chewers. They will be able to take the material apart in very little time. The bed is a pricey investment, so you should choose a different option if your Great Dane likes to chew.
- It has a unique and attractive fluffy rug design.
- The mattress uses orthopedic memory foam to lessen any joint pain or problems.
- The exterior is thick and comfortable faux fur.
- The bed is thin enough to allow senior dogs to get up and down.
- You can take off and wash the cover.
- The bottom has a non-skid material to avoid slipping on floorboards or tiles.
- It includes a water-resistant liner.
- It is one of the more expensive options for Great Danes.
- The zipper is relatively low-quality and breakable.
- The soft material is not suitable for destructive chewers.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Dog Bed for a Great Dane
What Size Dog Bed Does a Great Dane Need?
As one of the largest breeds of dogs, male Great Danes can weigh between 120 and 200 pounds (154.4 and 90.7kg). They stand anywhere from 30 to 34 inches tall (76.2 and 86.4cm).
The females are slightly smaller, weighing between 100 and 130 pounds (45.4 to 59kg) and standing from 28 to 32 inches (71.1 and 81.3cm).
When choosing a dog bed that is large enough for your Great Dane, you should accommodate both their weight and their horizontal length. In most brands, this will be an XXL or Jumbo-sized bed.
Because of the variation in Great Dane sizes, you should check your dog’s parents’ height. This can give you a good indication if you have a puppy.
If you want to learn more about this breed, you can check out the following video.
What Is the Best Dog Bed for a Great Dane?
The most crucial factor is that you choose a bed large enough for your Great Dane. However, there are also other qualities to consider:
- Orthopedic mattress: Because of their enormous size, many Great Danes develop joint and bone diseases. These diseases include arthritis and hip dysplasia. Choosing an orthopedic mattress can help to alleviate any joint pain and help your dog feel more comfortable.
- Head and spine support: Dog beds that feature supportive bolsters can help keep your dog’s spine in alignment. If he lives with any kind of joint pain, this could lessen the symptoms, especially in the long-term. Head pillows can also reduce any possible snoring.
- Densely-packed foam: Dense memory foam mattresses are the best options. The density provides the best support and also protects the bed against dust mites. If your pup struggles with allergies, this is a sound hypoallergenic choice.
- Durability: Great Danes are generally not that destructive. However, they are strong and heavy, so their bed must withstand their weight and movement. Dane puppies may also chew during their teething period.
- Easy to clean: This giant breed is best suited to a house with a backyard, allowing them to exercise and move around. However, they can track in dirt and mud from the yard. Therefore, you should opt for a dog bed that has a removable cover and is easy to wash.
What Should You Avoid in a Great Dane Dog Bed?
There are a few common factors to avoid in a Great Dane dog bed:
- Rigid surfaces: Very hard surfaces may be painful for a Great Dane that has any mobility problems. You want to strike a balance between supportive and comfortable, so your pup can be healthy and happy.
- Unsupportive mattresses: Conversely, soft and loose beds are also unsuitable. They lack the support necessary for this giant breed. Loose foam can also allow dust mites and other insects to enter the mattress.
- Breakable materials: Flimsy fabrics may not stand up against a fully grown Great Dane’s immense size and power. I recommend investing in a heavy-duty dog bed that will give you years of use and better value for money.
Do Great Danes Really Need Dog Beds?
Because of the size and cost of many Great Dane dog beds, you may be tempted to let your pup sleep on your bed, the couch, or the floor. However, your dog must have his own sleeping space.
Unless you have a king-sized mattress, you may struggle to fit your Great Dane in your bed. Neither of you is likely to get a comfortable night’s sleep. Your pup may also want to sleep on the couch, but most sofas lack the support necessary for this giant breed.
Great Danes can also benefit from having their own bed because it provides them with a safe space. If you have a large family with a lot of activity, there are times when your dog will want to escape and relax.
However, there’s no reason why you need to banish your Great Dane to another room. You can place his bed in your bedroom or leave the door open so he can check on you if needed. This breed is social and likes to feel part of your family.
Can You Crate a Great Dane?
Crate training is an excellent tool that can keep your dog safe, out of mischief and help him feel secure in your house. However, you will need to buy a huge crate to accommodate a Great Dane because of the breed’s size.
If you get your Dane as a puppy, you may want to buy a crate that can accommodate his adult size. That way, you won’t have to invest in a second cage. I made this mistake with my Golden Retriever puppy and had to spend the extra money as she grew.
However, you may want to use a crate divider if you are still working on potty training. Otherwise, your Great Dane may pee down one end of his cage and sleep down the other, which can slow his progress.
In conclusion, the Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed with Pillow-Top is the Best Overall dog bed for Great Danes. I love its supportive mattress and superior construction, making it a worthy long-term investment.
The Savvy Pick is the Furhaven Ergonomic Luxe Lounger. It has a unique shape that helps support your dog’s joints and sleep more comfortably.
When choosing a Great Dane dog bed, you should plan for his adult size. You should also prioritize supportive mattresses and high-quality materials. By doing so, you can counter any potential health problems.
Overall, Great Danes are a rewarding family breed. However, they have an unfortunately short lifespan and potential joint problems. By investing in a high-quality bed, you can make their time with you as happy and comfortable as possible.