The Golden Retriever Poodle cross, adorably named the Goldendoodle, is one of the most popular mixed breeds. Families love this dog for his teddy bear-like appearance, friendly personality, and lovely nature. In this guide, we cover the best dog beds for Goldendoodles.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed||4.7/5|
|Savvy Pick||Majestic Pet Bagel Dog Bed||4.5/5|
|Best Pick for Puppies||Furhaven Pet Lounger Cradle Bed||4.4/5|
|Bargain Pick||Bedsure Orthopedic Pet Sofa Bed||4.6/5|
|Luxury Pick||Furhaven Pet Ergonomic Lounger||4.4/5|
|Best Pick for Senior Dogs||K9 Ballistics Easy Clean Dog Bed||4.8/5|
|Best Pick for Crates||Midwest Deluxe White Fleece Bolster||4.3/5|
Product Reviews for Goldendoodle Beds
Best Overall: PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
The best overall dog bed for Goldendoodles is the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed. It has a mini sofa design with a 4-inch (10.2cm) memory foam mattress and bolsters on three sides. This supportive design could help to increase feelings of security and reduce any pain on your dog’s joints.
The foam is also very dense, which prevents dust mites from entering the mattress. These insects are primary sources of allergic reactions in dogs, so this design is essential for sensitive dogs.
Unlike some other memory foam beds, this mattress is free from the pungent smells that can irritate your doodle puppy. However, I recommend airing it out for a few hours just in case. Put the bed in a well-ventilated area before assembling it.
It has an exterior made of a mixture of natural cotton and polyester blend. This material is also hypoallergenic and comfortable for your Goldendoodle. Furthermore, the fabric is relatively easy to clean. You can spot clean or put the entire cover in the washing machine.
The bed doesn’t come preassembled, so you will need to put the stuffing inside the covers. This can be challenging with the tight fit of the bolsters, so you might want to ask a loved one for help.
Overall, the PetFusion orthopedic dog bed is on the pricey side, but it could be worth the cost if you want to invest for the long term. The mattress is well-made and uses premium materials that should last the test of time. To learn more check out our full PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed Review.
- The mattress is suitable for dogs with arthritis and mobility issues.
- The memory foam is dense and resistant to dust mites and other allergens.
- The material is durable and resistant to damage and water.
- The side bolsters act as supportive pillows.
- It is quick and easy to clean the entire orthopedic bed.
- The bed is pricier than the average.
- It can be challenging to assemble the bolsters.
Savvy Pick: Majestic Pet Bagel Dog Bed
The Majestic Pet Bagel Dog Bed is the Savvy Pick for Goldendoodles. It has a comfortable ‘bagel’ design, which has raised sides and a flatter section in the middle. This shape is best suited to dogs that like to sleep curled up.
It strikes the right balance between support and comfort. Inside the cover, the bed has a high-quality polyester filling densely packed enough to support the joints. The back and side bolsters could help to further align the spine.
The exterior of the pet bed is comfortable but durable. The thick fabric is waterproof and resistant to regular wear and tear. If your Goldendoodle makes any messes, you can also wash and dry the bed.
It is available in multiple colors and has a simple but modern design that suits most homes. However, fur and dirt seem to collect in the seams of the fabric. Therefore, you will need to wash it regularly. Otherwise, your large dog may have an allergic reaction or get dirty.
Overall, this bed has a mid-range price tag and a unique shape. I recommend it for Goldendoodles of all ages and sizes.
- The material is waterproof against any accidents.
- It has a comfortable stuffing that your dog can curl up in.
- The side bolsters provide spinal support.
- You can machine-wash and tumble dry the bed cover.
- The design is simple and contemporary.
- It is available in various colors and sizes.
- The bed’s price is on the higher end.
- Fur and dirt can get stuck in the seams.
Best Pick for Puppies: Furhaven Pet Lounger Cradle Bed
The Furhaven Pet Lounger Cradle Bed is the best choice for Goldendoodle puppies. The secure round design could help young puppies to feel protected when they’re still new in your home. The sides are also solid enough to provide support for growing bodies.
The bolsters encircle your puppy on three sides. This allows them to support their bodies, with a gap for dogs to climb up and down. If you have a very young or miniature Goldendoodle, this could help them access the bed.
Puppies often have accidents before they master potty training. Thankfully, this dog bed has a water-resistant base. You can also remove the entire cover and pillow if you need to wash out any urine or other messes.
The main disadvantage of this bed is that it isn’t suitable for very destructive dogs. Most puppies chew when they go through teething, but the intensity depends on the particular dog. I recommend redirecting your pup’s biting to frozen carrots or apples instead of their bed.
Overall, the bed is very budget-friendly and has a cozy design. If your puppy is still nervous about living in his new home, it could help to provide him with a secure place of his own.
- The nesting design helps new puppies to feel safe and secure.
- It has a water-resistant base for any potty-training accidents.
- It has a faux fur exterior for comfort and warmth.
- The bed comes in various attractive colors.
- The sides provide support for the back and joints.
- There is a space to allow small dogs to climb up.
- You can wash the cover and pillow in the machine.
- The dog bed is a bargain.
- It is not a practical choice for very destructive puppies.
Bargain Pick: Bedsure Orthopedic Pet Sofa Bed
The Bedsure Orthopedic Pet Sofa Bed is a budget-friendly choice for your Goldendoodle. Despite its low price, it offers a comfortable and supportive memory foam mattress with side bolsters. This design helps to keep your dog’s body in alignment while he sleeps.
Where the bed shines is its material. The exterior is warm and comfortable Sherpa fleece, which helps your dog stay warm at night. However, this material is also resistant to liquids, stains, odors, and fur. Therefore, you don’t need to maintain it or wash it as much.
It has a non-slip base and a waterproof liner that protects the mattress from any potty-training accidents. These features could be helpful if you have a young Goldendoodle puppy or a senior with incontinence.
The primary downside of this bed is that it is a lot thinner than other dog beds. If your pup struggles with pain and movement problems, it probably won’t be supportive enough to keep them comfortable. The foam is also noisy, which could get annoying if you sleep in the same room.
Overall, it is an excellent affordable option for puppies and adult Goldendoodles. However, I don’t recommend it for seniors.
- This bed is very affordable.
- The side bolsters are comfortable for your dog’s neck and head.
- The material is resistant to stains, odors, hair, and liquids.
- The mattress has 2.5 inches (6.4cm) of memory foam.
- The base is non-slip and water-resistant.
- It uses sherpa fleece for extra warmth.
- You can remove and wash the cover.
- The bed is too small for large breeds.
- The foam is noisy when it moves.
Luxury Pick: Furhaven Pet Ergonomic Lounger
The Furhaven Pet Ergonomic Lounger is a luxury option for Goldendoodles. It features a unique contoured design that rises on both ends and flattens in the middle. This shape allows the sides to support the spine and joints, while the center allows easy access.
If your Goldendoodle is struggling with his movement, this memory foam dog bed could provide some relief. It uses premium memory foam, which provides cushioning for pressure points and keeps the spine in alignment.
It is also comfortable. The surface is soft and uses faux fur, which makes it a warm option for cold nights. However, this soft fabric is also easy to destroy. If your dog loves to chew or scratch their bed, you should reconsider this option.
The bed comes in many different colors and patterns, so you can customize it to your particular style. It is also easy to maintain, with a removable cover that you can machine-wash and air dry.
Overall, the Furhaven bed is a pricey investment. However, it is well-made and durable enough for the average or older dog. If you’re tired of replacing your dog’s bed all the time, you might consider investing more for a product that lasts longer.
- It has a contoured design that can support the body and allows dogs to stretch.
- The exterior uses soft and warm faux fur.
- The memory foam mattress could help with joint problems.
- The cover is removable.
- The bed is available in multiple styles and colors.
- It isn’t the most affordable mattress for Goldendoodles.
- It isn’t a viable choice for destructive dogs.
Best Pick for Senior Dogs: K9 Ballistics Easy Clean Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics Easy Clean Dog Bed is the best option for senior Goldendoodles. The design optimizes comfort and support for aging dogs, with resistance to incontinence.
As dogs age, they have unique needs. This mattress features a substantial five inches (12.7cm) of orthopedic memory foam. This dense foam can help to relieve pressure, lessen pain, and help your pup to feel more comfortable.
I also like the side bolsters that surround the perimeter of the mattress. Your dog can use them as a cushion for his head and get on and off the bed quickly through the gap.
Senior dogs can sometimes struggle with incontinence and pee their beds. This bed has odor-resistant material and a removable cover that you can throw in the washing machine. This could be a lifesaver if your senior doggo has lost bladder control.
The external fabric is soft and comfortable. It uses a blend of microfiber and faux fur, which stay soft even after washing. It can also help keep your dog warm in winter or cooler climates.
This definitely isn’t the cheapest dog bed on the market. However, it has many features that can help your senior Goldendoodle feel more comfortable in his remaining years. I recommend it if you have the money to spare.
- The cover slips off and is machine-washable.
- It features five inches (12.7cm) of orthopedic memory foam for support.
- The fabric is durable and resistant to odors.
- The exterior is soft and cozy with microfiber and faux fur.
- It has side bolsters for head, neck, and spine support.
- It is more expensive than standard dog beds.
- The sizes run a bit small.
Best Pick for Crates: Midwest Deluxe White Fleece Bolster
The Midwest Deluxe White Fleece Bolster is the best crate dog bed for Goldendoodles. Crate training is one of the most effective ways to keep your dog safe when you can’t watch him, teach potty training, and avoid destructive behavior. This thin mat fits easily inside.
It is incredibly lightweight, and you can fold up the bed small. This could be an advantage if you travel a lot with your pup. The slim shape also allows you to put it directly in the washing machine and dryer. However, I recommend using cold settings.
The bed mat has polyester padding and a soft fleece exterior, which is a significant step up from the hard plastic bottom of most crates. However, I don’t recommend it for senior pups. There isn’t enough support for aching joints or mobility problems.
It also isn’t a good choice for destructive chewers because the fabric is soft and easy to tear. My puppy is opposed to anything in her dog crate, and I suspect she would rip it up within a day. However, non-destructive dogs shouldn’t have an issue.
Overall, I recommend this dog bed for Goldendoodles that sleep in their crates at night and don’t try to eat their bedding.
- It is budget-friendly.
- The thin, rectangular shape fits nicely in standard crates.
- It has comfortable padding and soft fleece for warmth.
- You can wash and dry the entire bed with a washer and dryer.
- The bed is lightweight and foldable.
- It has a simple, neutral design.
- The fabric is too soft for destructive chewers.
- The bottom of the bed is noisy.
- The padding is too thin for dogs that need joint support.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Dog Bed for a Goldendoodle
What Size Bed Does a Goldendoodle Need?
Goldendoodles vary significantly in size. This is because there are multiple sizes of Poodles, plus multigenerational interbreeding of the mixes. In general, you can find three different sizes of Goldendoodles:
- Miniature: These mixes result from a cross with a Toy or Miniature Poodle with a Golden Retriever. They can range in weight from 15 to 35 pounds (6.8 to 15.9kg). They stand between 13 and 20 inches (33 and 50.8cm) tall.
- Small: Small Goldendoodles are a cross between Goldens and Standard Poodles. They weigh between 40 and 50 pounds (18.1 and 22.7kg) and measure between 17 and 20 inches (43.2 and 50.8cm).
- Large: This size can be a mixture of a Standard or Giant Poodle. They weigh between 50 and 90 pounds (22.7 and 40.8kg), with a height between 20 and 24 inches (50.8 and 61cm).
If you have a Goldendoodle puppy, you should look at his parents’ size as a rough estimate. When choosing a dog bed, you should plan for his full adult length and weight.
Can a Dog Bed Be Too Big?
If your pup is still growing, you will need to estimate his adult size. This can result in buying a bed that is ultimately too big. However, this generally isn’t a problem unless you are placing it in a crate and using crate training.
When you are potty training your puppy, the crate can be your greatest ally. It can help prevent your dog from peeing inside the house.
However, buying a crate that is too large can work against you. If your dog can pee down one end and get away from it, then he may make a mess inside the crate. It is better to choose a smaller container and bed or use a divider while your puppy is growing.
What Makes the Best Goldendoodle Bed?
Every dog is different, but there are a few common factors to look for in a Goldendoodle bed:
- Dense foam mattress: Like many other breeds, Goldendoodles can get a painful condition called hip dysplasia. A dense foam mattress could help to support the joints and reduce pain. Thick mattresses also prevent dust mites from entering and growing.
- Breathable fabrics: Some Goldendoodles struggle with skin allergies. By choosing hypoallergenic, breathable fabrics, you can reduce the likelihood of a reaction. This kind of material can also help your pup feel more comfortable if you live in a hot climate.
- Easy to clean: Goldendoodles shed very little or not at all. However, these playful pups can track mud and dirt into their bed. Choosing a mattress with a removable cover can make things easier when washing the dog bed.
- Resistant to destruction: Goldendoodles are not known as destructive dogs. However, yours may take after his Golden Retriever parent. This breed is very mouthy, particularly as a puppy. It’s better to choose a durable mattress that can resist moderate chewing.
What to Avoid in a Goldendoodle Dog Bed?
Conversely, there are a few characteristics to avoid in a Goldendoodle dog bed:
- Hard mattresses: Because many dogs develop joint problems like arthritis, it is better to avoid very firm surfaces. These mattresses could be uncomfortable or make the situation worse for your pup.
- Scratchy fabrics: Synthetic materials can worsen allergic reactions. They are also less comfortable than soft, natural fabrics. Natural options like cotton are always the safest bet.
- Loosely packed foam: Mattresses with loosely packed foam are a prime breeding ground for dust mites. These critters can set up shop inside the dog bed and are among the most common sources of allergies.
Are Goldendoodles High Maintenance?
In general, Goldendoodles are a low maintenance breed. They have curly fur that usually doesn’t shed at all, or only in small quantities. Therefore, you won’t need to deal with dog hair around the house. Brushing at least once a week is usually enough maintenance.
They also do not have high exercise needs. Depending on your dog, he will be happy with 30-60 minutes of activity every day. You can switch things up with walks, visits to the park, and lots of playing.
However, Goldendoodles are sensitive and tend to be needy. This mixed breed won’t be happy to sleep alone outside, so ensure that his dog bed is inside the house. You don’t need to sleep in the same room, but he will be happier feeling part of the family.
If you’d like to learn more about Goldendoodles, you can check out this video.
In conclusion, I choose the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed as the Best Overall dog bed for Goldendoodles. If you have the money to spare, it is an excellent mixture of supportive and cozy for your pup.
The Savvy Pick is the Majestic Pet Bagel Dog Bed. The bed is durable but incredibly comfortable, perfect for dogs that sleep curled up in a ball.
If you are looking for a dog bed for a particular climate, budget, or dog age, there are other excellent options. When choosing a mattress for your Goldendoodle, choose a mixture of supportive and comfortable. Also, opt for hypoallergenic fabrics.
A dog bed is an essential investment for keeping your pup healthy and happy. If he is sleeping well, he will have plenty of energy to spend loving you and your family during the day.
All content has been reviewed for accuracy by Dr. Megan Teiber, DVM.