Research shows that dogs often sleep up to 18 hours a day. This is 75% of your dog’s life! With this many hours spent in a restful state, it is important to find a bed suitable for your doggo. In this article we review the 10 best dog beds for Golden Retrievers specifically and make our recommendations.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Product Reviews for Golden Retriever Dog Beds
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is a high quality product with few faults.
Many dog beds have memory foam to support orthopedic needs. The PetFusion bed outdoes the competition by providing 4 inches of foam. Even as the foam loses its form over time this bed is thick enough to continue to offer support.
To extend the lifespan of the bed the cover is removable and machine washable. Built in is a waterproof inner lining designed to protect the memory foam from damage. This is not effective enough to submerge the bed in water, but it should be adequate against everyday spills or accidents.
One unique feature of this bed is a non-skid bottom for hard floors. There are several color options available and a 3 yr warranty is provided by the manufacturer.
The material on this bed tends to support warming your dog rather than cooling. If you are looking for a cooling option I would check out an elevated bed. The zipper on the removable cover can also cause issues so I recommend taking this off slowly the first time.
Overall this bed lives up to it’s “ultimate” name. High quality materials built to keep your dog supported for the long haul.
- 4 inch thick memory foam
- Easily removed and machine washable cover
- Waterproof inner lining
- Non-skid bottom for hard floors
- Multiple color options
- 3 yr warranty
- Low quality zipper on cover
- Better for keeping dog warm than cool
The Furhaven team put together an excellent mid tier dog bed with their Plush Orthopedic Sofa.
What makes this option unique is the number of variants you can buy. There are 15 different colors/styles and 5 different sizes. They also offer cooling gel foam, memory foam and orthopedic(eggshell) foam. This allows you to design your dog bed exactly for your Golden Retriever’s needs.
Regardless of the type of foam base you choose the cover is top quality. The ultra plush faux fur is very comfortable and mimics the coat of another dog. The L shaped bolsters provide a great headrest while giving enough space for side sleepers to sprawl.
As it should, the Furhaven bed includes a removable and machine washable cover. It should be noted that the bed is not waterproof. The cover will absorb a small amount of liquid but is not designed to protect the foam from large spills.
The manufacturer does not recommend this bed for dogs who are aggressive chewers. If your Golden is still in a chewing phase I would recommend a bed designed specifically for that.
Overall I love this bed because of the quality options it provides. Being able to select the type of foam and choose from 15 different color and bolster designs gives flexibility to suit most dog needs.
- Orthopedic foam base
- Ultra plush faux fur cover
- 15 different colors and styles
- Machine washable cover
- Excellent option for the quality tier
- Not resistant against chewers
- Quality may depend on style selection
The Bedsure Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed is a versatile option that is worth consideration if you are looking for a bargain.
The simple rectangular design is perfect for use in crates or car trunks. There are three size options available so I recommend measuring your crate or car before purchasing.
The bed is designed to be reversible. On one side you have a cool Oxford fabric for the summer. On the opposite side there is a warm sherpa fabric for the winter. If your dog tends to overheat or is always cold you can of course use one side all year round.
The cover is removable and machine washable. However this cover does not effectively protect from water damage.
The egg crate foam provides decent support but will not last as long as memory foam. The base is thinner than most dog beds making this option less firm. Although designed for crate use the material is not strong enough to protect against avid chewers.
If you are looking for a travel bed or one that fits a crate this is an option you should consider. The reversible concept is unique and beneficial also. The quality is definitely below the previous two beds on this list so I would not recommend this one for older dogs.
- Fits most crates or car trunks
- Egg crate foam
- Reversible sides. Warm sherpa and cool Oxford
- Removable and washable cover
- Water resistant cover
- Not chew resistant
- Thinner than memory foam options
- Not waterproof
This donut style bed is fluffy and comfortable.
If your Golden Retriever likes to curl up while sleeping a donut bed like this might be your best option. The 9 inch thick bolsters cover 360 degrees of this bed. The center is thin allowing your dog to sink into the middle comfortably.
The outer layer is made of long faux shag fur. This layer is highly soft and warm. However you will need to take proper care of the cover to avoid matting over time. On that note the outer cover is removable and machine washable.
This bed does not include a non-skid bottom. If you place this bed on hardwood floors or tile you should expect some sliding due to the lightweight material. On the flipside the lightweight makes this bed easy to travel with.
The faux shag fur is quite tempting for dogs to sink their teeth into. If your dog thinks of the bed as a toy it will not hold up well against chewing.
Of all the beds on the list this one is the most visually appealing in my opinion. Given its shape and material from a distance the bed could be mistaken for a large pillow. This makes fitting it into the design of a room easy.
Overall this bed may not offer the same kind of orthopedic support as a memory foam option, however it is a quality donut bed alternative. I recommend this bed for any curl up sleeper.
- Great for curl up sleepers
- Comfortable faux shag fur
- Removable outer shell
- 360 degree 9 inch bolsters
- Visually appealing
- Lightweight and can slide on hardwood
- Matting fur over time
- Not suitable for aggressive chewers
The Sealy brand has long been associated with quality pet products. Their Lux Quad Layer Orthopedic Dog Bed is one of their top performing models.
Like most dog beds the Sealy Lux has a removable and machine washable outer cover. The distinction here is the non slip base that allows you to use the bed on hardwood floors.
A unique feature to this bed is their mechanism for attacking odor control. The base of the bed is built with a pro-charcoal base for absorbing odors. This means you can leave the bed out in a common area without worrying about the smell.
The foam core on this dog bed is made of high quality materials with a positive orthopedic empact. Additionally this bed comes with a cooling gel layer for those Golden Retrievers that often overheat.
Due to the materials on the outer layer this bed cannot be trusted with aggressive chewers. If your doggo is still a puppy you should probably hold off on buying this bed until they can be trusted. You also may find yourself washing this bed frequently because the outer layer tends to collect hair.
Overall this is a high quality dog bed option for Golden Retrievers. I recommend looking into this bed if your doggo is out of the heavy chewing phase.
- Quad element foam base
- Pro-Charcoal base absorbs odors
- Machine washable cover
- 4 color options
- Built in cooling gel
- Non slip bottom
- Not for aggressive chewers
- Collects dog hair easily
You may think of Barkbox as just a subscription service for treats and toys but they do much more. The Barkbox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed is their most popular model.
The Barkbox bed is designed specifically to fit in most crates with it’s rectangular shape. The bed is no nonsense with a simple look. The color options should fit most modern room decor.
This bed includes memory foam gel geared towards joint relief. Touted as 4 inches thick your own experience may be less due to the shrinking of the bed for shipping. Even at 3 inches thick your dog should be well supported.
At the time of this writing the package includes a free squeaker toy. This might not improve your dog’s experience with the bed but what dog doesn’t like a new toy?!
Unfortunately this bed does not include bolsters for head support. If your dog tends to sleep on their belly this will not matter. However side sleepers may get more support from a bed with bolsters.
The Barkbox bed is a solid mid tier option. Make sure you check the sizes before ordering because they tend to run a little small.
- Therapeutic gel memory foam
- Rectangular fit for most crates
- Waterproof and machine washable
- Free toy included at the time of this writing
- Simple and robust design
- Foam is thinner than what the pictures show
- No bolsters for head support
- Sizes run small so XXL may be best for Goldens
The AmazonBasics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed is a simple design that gets the job done.
Built with a breathable mesh fabric this bed allows airflow under and through the bed. This is ideal for keeping dogs cool during the hot summer.
The materials are durable and made for outdoor use. Keeping your dog cool is especially important if your Golden Retriever is an outside doggo. The sturdy design makes cleaning a simple task because all you need is a hose.
The 7 inches of elevation can also benefit dogs with joint problems. By raising the bed to the dog’s standing level it is easier for old dogs to transition between standing and laying.
If you need to move the bed it can be readily disassembled and assembled. However this process can take some time depending on the size of bed you order.
Over time the bed can sag in the middle with extended use. I recommend getting one just large enough for your dog but no longer than necessary. The shorter length should improve the lifespan you get from it.
All in all the AmazonBasics Elevated Dog Bed is a good outdoor/warm weather bed option.
- Breathable mesh fabric
- Simple to clean
- 7 inches of elevation
- Easy disassembling for travel
- Durable materials
- Assembly required
- Can sag over time
The BarksBar Dog Bed is comfy and aesthetically pleasing although not made with the most durable materials.
Sporting bolsters on all sides this dog bed offers plenty of head support. The top of the cover is made with ultra soft polyester materials making the rim very comfortable for your dog.
The cover is removable and washable and has a non slip rubber bottom for slippery floors. This bed includes a base of orthopedic foam with bolsters filled with soft cotton padding. Unfortunately the foam base is quite thin and offers less support than many other beds on the list.
The materials in this bed are quite comfortable but not durable. If you have a calm dog this bed may be adequate. However if your Golden is full of energy and still chews, this bed may not hold up.
Overall if you like the visual appeal and comfort this bed offers then give it a shot. If you are looking for a durable product to withstand heavy use I would keep browsing.
- Ultra soft polyester cover
- Large rim bolsters on all sides
- Non slip rubber backing
- Solid orthopedic foam + soft cotton padding
- Removable and washable cover
- Thin foam layer
- Not very durable
This is the second Furhaven dog bed option on the list but it offers a unique design from the first. Shaped like a sofa this bed has bolsters on both ends with a large comfortable area to lay in the middle.
The outside of this bed is lined with ultra plush faux fur that most dogs enjoy. As with most of the Furhaven products the foam is of high medical-grade quality. The materials on this bed are quite sturdy and ideal for extended use.
The outer cover is removable and machine washable. However with repeated washing the faux fur can become matted. For best results you should dry the cover immediately after washing.
Most dog beds range from 3 to 4 inches thick for the base layer of foam. This bed is only 2.5 inches. So while the materials are of high quality, the support is not as good as the thicker alternatives. If your Golden Retriever is already experiencing joint pain I would recommend a bed with more padding.
Overall this is another quality dog bed by Furhaven. If you like the style and your dog likes a life of comfort you should check it out.
- Unique ergonomic design
- Surface lined with ultra plush faux fur
- Sofa style bolsters on two sides
- Medical-grade foam base
- Simple sturdy design
- Not suitable for heavy chewers
- Faux fur gets matted after several washes
- Only 2.5 inches thick in the center
Last but not least is the Laifug dog bed. This bed is a fantastic option for dogs with arthritis or other joint issues.
This high end dog bed comes with some of the firmest memory foam available. The mix of super soft foam and memory foam layers is touted to retain 90% of its shape for the first 3 years of use. While most orthopedic dog beds begin to shrink over time, this bed bucks the trend.
The cover on this bed has a microfiber liner to absorb small amounts of liquid. Beneath this layer is a waterproof liner protecting the foam. This is one of the few beds that is actually waterproof.
Because the memory foam retains its form so well, removing and applying the cover can be difficult. The zippers are high quality so you can use force if needed. However it is worth noting that removing the cover may take some effort.
If you are looking to purchase a bed that will last many years this one is worth considering. The quality of this product and the simplicity of the design make it built to last.
- Mix of 30D super soft foam and 40D memory foam
- Waterproof microfiber liner
- Retains 90% of shape for up to 3 years
- Heavy duty zippers
- 3 inch high pillow bolster
- Very firm foam
- Difficult to remove cover
Buying Considerations for Golden Retriever Dog Beds
What are the Types of Dog Beds?
- Orthopedic Bed. These beds are designed to provide maximum support for the musculoskeletal system. An orthopedic dog bed typically uses memory foam or another firm material. Most often orthopedic beds are advertised for older dogs with joint problems. However orthopedic memory foam beds can act as a preventative measure against joint pain as well.
- Elevated Cot. There are three major uses for elevated cots. First they are beneficial for older dogs because it creates a shorter transition distance from standing to laying down. This is ideal for a large breed dog or one with hip dysplasia. Second they act as a cooling dog bed because air can flow underneath the surface. Third they hold up well outside because of the gap between the ground and the bed. This raised dog bed prevents moisture build up or bugs.
- Sofa Top. These are not technically dog beds and are more like covers. You place one of these padded covers on an existing piece of furniture that becomes the new pet bed. The quality of these beds has more to do with the sofa you pick than the cover.
- Crate Bed. These beds are designed to fit the dimensions of your dog crate. Crate beds are convenient for owners with puppies or dogs still being house trained. A good crate bed is waterproof and easily washable.
- Donut. More to do with the shape than the material, the donut bed is a circular bolster. Donut dog beds are great for dogs who prefer the curled up sleeping position. These beds do not usually have as much support but are very lightweight. These may be suitable for a Golden Retriever puppy, but are not ideal for most large dog breeds.
- Covered. Designed to make dogs feel safe and protected, covered dog beds often look like a filled in crate. While dogs are not typically cave animals, most find significant comfort in closed spaces. My dog for example loves to nap under my bed.
- Plush. This type of bed can take many shapes. What defines a plush bed is the soft material. These beds are really comfortable initially but you have to be careful about the material quality. Some beds do not hold up to washing well.
- Heated or Cooled. If you are a Golden Retriever owner your dog probably has really thick fur. In the hotter months your dog may have trouble getting to sleep. A bed designed specifically to stay cool may be helpful. For other scenarios a heated bed could also make sense.
What are dog beds made of?
- Memory Foam Bed. Most beds, for dogs and humans, are made with some variant of memory foam. This material is typically firm for orthopedic support. Memory foam can last a long time if properly taken care of. This type of material is my personal preference.
- Microfiber. This synthetic material is more fine than most natural materials. Microfiber beds can be stronger and absorb liquid better than other types of dog beds. This material is less breathable than other types making it trap heat more easily.
- Faux Leather. While the microfiber option brings the heat, the faux leather alternative can help keep your dog cool. The synthetic material is smooth, usually waterproof and easy to clean. The one downside to faux leather is that under heavy use it can start to peel.
- Fuax Fur. Designed to imitate a mother’s coat, faux fur is literally an attempt at fake fur. While a bed can’t replace another dog to cuddle with, faux fur can be the next best thing. The key with this soft material is to find one that retains its texture after washing.
- Hypoallergenic. Yes your dog can get allergies too. Hypoallergenic beds can be helpful for dogs with sensitive skin. Some bed materials can allow the gathering of dust mites which can also trigger dog allergies. If you have noticed your Golden frequently sneezing or itching, allergies could be to blame.
What makes a good dog bed?
- Durability. Golden Retrievers are large dogs with plenty of energy. Finding a bed that can hold up to heavy use is important. Accidents and spills can happen so finding a bed that is at least water resistant will save you some heartache. We created a guide for the best waterproof dog beds. Check it out if you have a puppy still in training.
- Support and Comfort. Your pet bed should be the most comfortable spot your dog is allowed to have in the house. Otherwise you might find your Golden Retriever bypassing the dog bed for the couch. Support is also critical for the long term health of your dog. Big dog breeds tend to develop achy joints more quickly than small dog breeds.
- Appropriately Sized. Usually there is room for error if you pick a bed that is too big. However if you pick one that is too small your dog will probably use it as a pillow and lay on the floor. Most beds have easy size charts based on the weight of your dog. If your Golden Retriever pup is still growing you should pick a bed based on the expected adult weight of your dog.
- Easily Cleanable. As a dog owner and retriever owner I find this to be the most important factor for my dog’s bed. All beds will need to be cleaned with regularity. A bed that is machine washable with a cover that is easily removed is ideal. You will also want to pick a bed that holds up well with frequent washing. Check out our guide on how to wash a dog bed.
Below are our picks for the best dog beds for Golden Retrievers.
The Best Overall dog bed goes to the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed. The superior quality of the materials, in particular the memory foam, makes this bed a healthy choice for your dog.
The Savvy Pick goes to the Furhaven Pet- Plush Orthopedic Sofa. This bed offers an extensive range of options to fit your needs. It is basically the Swiss Army Knife of dog beds.
The Bargain Pick goes to the Bedsure Large Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed. This dog bed is easy to travel with, use in a crate and is even reversible for hot/cold use.
When it comes to keeping your dog healthy, finding the best bed is critical. Your Golden Retriever will spend most of their life asleep so finding a bed that supports them well will pay off well.