The small, bulky, and lovable English bulldog has captured the hearts of dog owners for centuries. But for all their lovable traits, this breed is one of the most sedentary of all dog breeds. A comfy dog bed is crucial to keeping your pooch happy–so this article will explore the best dog beds for English bulldogs through detailed reviews.
Help keep SavvyDoggo savvy by answering this one question poll!
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||JOYELF Orthopedic Dog Bed|
|Savvy Pick||KOPEKS Deluxe Orthopedic Memory Foam Sofa Lounge Dog Bed|
|Bargain Pick||Furhaven Pet–Traditional Orthopedic Foam Mattress Dog Bed|
|Best Pick for Crates||Barkbox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed|
|Best for Bolsters||PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed for Medium Dogs|
|Best Pick for Heavy Chewers||K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed|
|Luxury Pick||Sealy Dog Bed with Quad Layer Technology|
Product Reviews for English Bulldog Dog Beds
Each of these products offers varying levels of comfort for English bulldogs. From cushioning that supports possible orthopedic problems to memory foam that helps promote sleep, each of these products is sure to please your English bulldog.
JOYELF Orthopedic Dog Bed
This memory foam-lined product with orthopedic support wins our top slot because it is both comfortable and easy to maintain. Which means your pooch will sleep throughout the day with little maintenance required on your part.
You have likely seen both ‘memory foam’ and ‘orthopedic’ mentioned often in dog bed reviews. What is so great about JOYELF’s Orthopedic dog bed is that the crucial needs for both thickness and elevated support are found in this product.
This pet bed uses 3 inches of memory foam to cushion your bulldog’s body while it sleeps. This means you do not have to worry about your pooch constantly readjusting to find a comfortable position.
Since English bulldogs are prone to experiencing joint and skeletal problems as they age, thick cushioning is essential to ensure they sleep properly. The ultra-thick cushioning of this dog bed helps to remove the stiffness of the floor below while your dog sleeps. If your dog suffers from arthritis, this article may be useful for you.
Head and neck support is also important while your dog sleeps. This product reinforces the couch arms of the dog bed to ensure your dog’s neck and head are properly elevated.
English bulldogs crave companionship and the included squeaky toy will help reassure your pooch when you are away from the home.
All in all, this dog bed takes the top spot because it’s both simple and relaxing. Your dog will appreciate the breathable fabric and spacious shape of this bed.
- Helps provide joint relief. English bulldogs have short and stocky frames, which is why ultra-comforting cushioning is so important.
- Waterproof and slip-resistant. The bottom of this dog bed is designed with a non-slip backing to keep the bed firmly in place. The bottom layer is also waterproof which is great to absorb any accidents before seepage to the floor.
- Perfect size for English bulldogs. The bed measures 36 x 27 x 8, which is enough dimensions to provide comfort to your dog and ample room to move around.
- Easy maintenance. The slip cover of this dog bed is easily removable and machine washable. Air drying the product is best.
- Small zipper case. Removing the memory foam can prove to be difficult due to the small zipper cases.
- Hard to clean. The bed is easy to throw into the washer, yet removing the casing and memory foam can be difficult if the dog has used the bathroom in the bed.
KOPEKS Deluxe Orthopedic Memory Foam Sofa Lounge Dog Bed
English bulldogs are a smaller breed so it helps to make their bed a bit larger to give them space. The KOPEKS Deluxe Orthopedic Dog Bed deserves an honorable mention thanks to the extra lounge room it provides an English bulldog.
Orthopedic concerns are addressed with this product. The memory foam cushioning is 5 inches thick, which also allows your pooch to be slightly elevated off the ground floor.
Additionally, the space is so large that your bulldog can stretch out without feeling constricted, which can help alleviate pain in your dog’s joints. The exterior fabric is made of plush suede that is smooth and neutral against your dog’s skin.
If your dog suffers from anxiety or bladder issues, this bed is certainly a good investment. Two water-resistant zipper covers provide two layers of protection under the surface to block absorption.
Best of all, the memory foam in this bed is hypoallergenic, which means your pooch will be sleeping on the same kind of memory foam made for mattresses.
Space and comfort are the best features of this dog bed. Your dog will not feel cramped in with this bed and the thickness of the material checks all the marks for superior comfort.
The bottom is lined with rubber to keep the bed from moving about and the outer material is machine washable.
- Soft plush cover material. The exterior material is made of plush suede which is perfect allowing your dog to snuggle into the fabric.
- The sofa section is removable. Some dog beds are one cohesive unit, which makes cleaning difficult. This product’s bed part is removable which makes maintenance easier.
- Spacious. The dimensions of the bed are 35 x 42 x 7 inches and the detachable sleeping surface is 28 x 30 x 5 inches. This is important as it gives your dog room to explore different sleeping styles on the bed.
- The couch arms are slightly flat. Some dogs like the support for their neck or head while sleeping. This bed has a falter and less raised set of couch arms.
- The sofa section can slip out of place. The sofa or bed section of the product can slip out of place with increased movement from your dog.
- 5 out of 5 stars, 1 review-Walmart
- 4.5 out of 5 stars, 3 reviews-Chewy
- 2 out of 5 stars, 1 review-Petco
Furhaven Pet–Traditional Orthopedic Foam Mattress Dog Bed
Furhaven has a great idea that they tailor to all their dog beds–the addition of fur-like material on the bed surface. Dogs are pack-like animals, which means any comforts that remind them of being a puppy or next to their own kind are relaxing.
The Furhaven Pet Traditional Dog Bed has an open-mattress structure that will allow your dog to stretch out with ease. Additionally, the sides of this bed are raised to provide height for your bulldog which reinforces bed ownership and not just a small addition to the ground floor.
The surface of the bed is also different from other dog beds in that egg crating is used underneath the fur. This provides soft slopes and ridges to cushion multiple parts of your dog’s body while sleeping.
This dog bed also offers some variety in different design choices. You can choose from cream, chocolate, or grey colors; whatever matches the attitude of your pooch.
You can choose from small, medium, large, or jumbo sizes. An English bulldog would likely be comfortable in a medium-sized bed.
The standout feature of this product is the 90-day warranty that is provided. This warranty will cover against material defects, which is reassuring if your pet is picky about their bed.
- Elongated sleeping surface. This dog bed measures 27 x 36 inches. This ensures that your dog has both an inviting and roomy space to choose where they wish to sleep.
- Shaped like a mattress. If your dog is used to sleeping in bed with you, he/she will appreciate the familiar mattress shape of this dog bed.
- Medical-grade orthopedic foam. The foam is made with medical-grade orthopedic support in mind. This style of memory foam can help to soothe problematic pressure points throughout your dog’s body.
- Egg crate material is not suitable for all dogs. Egg crate is really an acquired taste, and the same is true for dogs. The material may not be comfortable for your dog if they are used to falter surfaces.
- The memory foam is not very thick. An English bulldog has a naturally bulky frame; this bed is simply not thick enough to support an English bulldog for long term use.
- 4.5 out of 5 stars, 777 reviews-Chewy
- 4.3 out of 5 stars, 24 reviews-Walmart
- 4.3 out of 5 stars, 3 reviews-Target
Barkbox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed
Best Pick for Crates
All of us dog lovers likely use or have at least heard of Barkbox. This company provides monthly toys and treats customized for your dog but did you also know they make other products as well?
This memory foam platform dog bed by Barkbox takes things back to the basics with its simple, yet comfortable design. Dogs can be picky, and when you add an English bulldog into the mix, this is certainly the case.
Which is why this dog bed is a great choice thanks to its availability in different size ranges and comfy, pad-like structure. This large dog bed is made with therapeutic gel memory foam, which is a bit more firm to add mobility support for your dog.
Have you ever noticed how your English bulldog gets cold even if it is hot outside? This is due to their short fur; therefore, the temperature regulating gel memory foam can help warm your pooch or cool them off based on current body temperature.
There aren’t a lot of frills or special features with this orthopedic bed but the gel memory foam is certainly an attractive feature.
- Provides easy access. English bulldogs have shorter legs; sometimes a lower bed is ideal, especially for an older dog. This dog bed is low to the ground and will not require any strenuous leg movement from your pooch to hop on.
- Relieves pressure. In addition to the gel memory foam, this type of material can also relieve stressed pressure points that your dog may have.
- Free toys included. Barkbox wouldn’t be Barkbox without included toys. This dog bed comes with an included plush sweet pea and a cute wearable crown.
- Simple flat design offers an ideal fit for a dog house or crate.
- No couch arms. Although the gel memory foam is a stellar attribute, this dog bed has no head or neck support; just a flat surface.
- Takes a long time to inflate properly. Once you unpackage this bed, you will need to let it sit for a long period of time to completely inflate to the normal size.
- 4.3 out of 5 stars, 3 reviews-Walmart
PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed for Medium Dogs
Best for Bolsters
If your English bulldog is a rescue or has been rehomed frequently, a sense of security is always recommended for any of their safe spaces. Ideally, the best way to provide this is with their dog bed.
The PUPPBUD Dog Bed has a raised rim around the top layer that exists to make your dog feel safe and secure in their domain. Additionally, this raised rim allows for maximum head and neck comfort if your bulldog doesn’t like laying flat on a surface.
This dog bed is stuffed with eco-friendly cotton that creates a soft and soothing surface while your dog lounges or sleeps. The bottom layer is slip-resistant and waterproof, which means you do not have to worry about the bed sliding across smooth surfaces.
If you are looking to purchase a dog bed that is traditional in design, with maximum comfort and raised sides, this is a perfect bed to consider.
- Thick cushioning. One of the great features of this dog bed is the layers of soft cotton stuffing that your dog can easily find comfort in.
- Durable. Cotton is long-lasting in addition to its comfort. This means you will get a long shelf life with this product.
- Easy maintenance. Since this bed is mostly all fabric-based, you can easily put the entire bed in the washing machine with no issues.
- Lack of firmness. Having a firm surface is important for your dog to sleep properly. This bed is easy for your dog to sink into.
- Easy for dogs to chew. If your dog likes chewing and teething, this cotton-based bed is probably not a good idea.
K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed
Best bed for Heavy Chewers
The K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed may not look as comfortable or soft as the others on this list. However, if your bulldog puppy is going through a chewing phase, this bed might be your best option.
The K9 Ballistics brand offers many models of durable pet products. This elevated dog bed is one of their top sellers and has been time tested by many owners. The bed is not completely indestructible but should offer a greater sense of security than the options designed for comfort alone.
The elevated nature of this bed offers an added cooling effect, making it ideal for hot climates. For outdoor or patio use this bed is a solid option. The aluminum frame can withstand both chewing and elements of nature. Depending on the size of your dog house or crate this bed may fit snuggly inside.
If you have a heavy chewer you are likely cleaning up after a lot of messes. The durable fabric on this surface makes for easy cleaning. A wash cloth or garden hose can get this bed cleaned up nicely.
If you live in a cold climate or you are worried about keeping your pup warm this bed is not for you. The thin and elevated structure will not protect your doggo from the elements.
Overall this is worth getting for dog owners of puppies or generally destructive pooches.
- Elevated bed offers joint support for older dogs.
- Strong materials offer protection from heavy chewers.
- Great for outdoor or indoor use.
- Excellent airflow for hot climates.
- No foam or orthopedic support.
- Not effective in cold climates.
Sealy Dog Bed with Quad Layer Technology
Trust your K9 companion to keep their paws and teeth out of the bed? If you are looking for a high quality option for your pet then the Sealy Dog Bed with Quad Layer Technology might work.
The Sealy brand may be familiar to you if you have gone mattress hunting lately. Known for high quality mattress’s for humans, Sealy has developed a line of pet beds with their signature foam.
Using a combination of orthopedic, memory, and HD foam, the Sealy Dog Bed provides more firm support than any other bed on this list. Older dogs or bulldogs with joint issues will be better off with this bed than one with cheaper materials.
The charcoal base offers some odor reducing benefits, which should make the greatest impact with outdoor dogs. The cooling gel layer gives some therapeutic relief to aching muscles as well.
If you need to wash this bed, the cover can be removed and is machine washable. However because the foam is so dense it can be difficult to get the cover back on after washing. This should get easier as the bed gets more use.
Side by side this is the best dog bed for English Bulldogs on the list. While this bed is more expensive, from my research I believe the value is worth the cost. For doggo parents with puppies or heavy chewers I do not recommend this bed though.
- Premium materials offer ideal orthopedic support.
- Machine washable, removable cover.
- Charcoal base provides unique odor reduction.
- Great for older dogs with joint aches.
- Mid tier price point.
- Not effective for strong chewers or puppies.
- 4.8 out of 5 stars, 81 reviews-Wayfair
- 4.4 out of 5 stars, 52 reviews, Chewy
Buyers Guide: How to Choose the Best Dog Bed for an English Bulldog
When it comes to dog beds and English bulldogs specifically, be sure to keep these key details in mind.
At Savvy Doggo we often conduct polls to find what our readers think is important. The infographic above shows data collected from a recent poll of dog bed shoppers on Savvy Doggo. We captured 127 responses from readers in 11 different countries!
You shared with us that the following factors are most important when finding the ideal dog bed.
- Durability. 30.7%
- Ease of Washing. 25.9%
- Material. 19.7%
- Price. 13.3%
- Shape/Style 10.2%
For most dog owners having a long lasting and easy to maintain bed outweighs style points or price considerations. Every pup has unique attributes that means there is no “one size fits all.” However these priorities can help guide your search for your doggo’s next bed.
Dogs can sometimes have erratic sleeping patterns. You may have noticed your pup frequently switching sleeping positions, kind of like how we sleep at night.
A Bulldog bed needs to have enough space to allow your dog to change positions throughout the day or night. The beds offered by FurHaven and Barkbox offer quite a bit of room for your dog to freely move around to try new sleeping positions.
My dog will frequently sleep in both curled-up and vertical positions, which is why I ensure that she has a bed that can accommodate both positions comfortably. Alternative options like a donut bed or nesting bed are comfortable but offer less room for adjusting position.
For more information about dog sleeping positions, check out this video which gives some really interesting insights into this behavior:
In terms of materials for dog beds, beds that utilize orthopedic designs are truly the best to consider. English bulldogs are prone to suffering from hip dysplasia and patellar luxation (wobbly kneecaps). Check out the best dog beds for hip dysplasia.
All of the above beds are advertised to offer orthopedic support, yet I found that the beds by JOYELF and KOPEKS took the best care in designing conforming memory foam to the needs of orthopedic problems. Memory foam is great because it is firm but not too firm, which is necessary for proper orthopedic support for English bulldogs.
The cotton design of the bed by PUPPBUDD is certainly great for overall comfort, yet this bed may be more preferable for an English bulldog puppy.
Raised Ridges or No Raised Ridges?
Head and neck support is also a key factor to keep in mind. My dog prefers a bolster bed with raised arms so she can easily elevate her head if she gets tired of laying flat.
Having a raised ridge that rises up above the bed surface can also be important for your dog’s feeling of safety. If your dog has separation anxiety when you leave the home, having a safe space with their bed is important. Check out this guide if your dog has anxiety issues.
I found that the PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed was the overall winner in this category. The raised ridges combined with the soft cushioning of the cotton material was just what my dog needed to soothe her nerves while I was away.
Last but not least, it is important to choose a bed that can be easily cleaned. Doggy accidents are bound to happen, which is why having a bed that is easy to take apart and clean is crucial. If you have a bulldog puppy you may want to check out a chew proof dog bed.
Most of the beds above are easy-to-clean, yet you may run into some problems when cleaning the JOYELF bed. In terms of easy detachment and cleaning options, the PUPPBUDD bed is the winner because you can place the entire bed into the washing machine!
How Much Do English Bulldogs Sleep?
English Bulldogs are more sedentary than other breeds. On average, they sleep between 12 and 14 hours every day. Particularly if you have an adult or senior dog, you may notice that your pup sleeps more than this amount.
Because of this, it is essential to invest in a supportive and comfortable dog bed for your English Bulldog. Otherwise, he may start accumulating health problems in the long run.
However, you should also make sure that your English Bulldog is getting enough exercise. This lazy breed still needs around 30 minutes of exercise every day to stay healthy. However, light to moderate activities like walking and playing should be sufficient.
Why Do English Bulldogs Snore?
English Bulldogs are brachycephalic dogs. This means that they have shorter heads and snouts, making their respiratory passages smaller and more constricted. Therefore, it is not as easy for air to pass through their noses and throats.
The respiratory system restrictions extend through an English Bulldog’s throat. He has a longer than average soft palate, which prevents air from getting to his lungs easily. He may also have swollen tissue in his larynx.
All of these factors combine to make it more difficult for your English Bulldog to breathe. Consequently, he is more likely to snore while he sleeps. Because the air is not moving easily, it can make his throat tissue vibrate and cause that annoying sound.
However, snoring can also indicate more serious issues like sleep apnea or hypothyroidism. If your English Bulldog has sleep apnea, he will stop breathing for short periods while he sleeps. This is a severe health condition that can have long-term consequences.
Lastly, your dog may be snoring because of allergies. If he is allergic to dust, dust mites, or other environmental factors, they can inflame his respiratory system. Consequently, allergies can block his airways and cause him to snore.
How to Reduce English Bulldog Snoring
Thankfully, there are a few things you can do to reduce or prevent snoring in English Bulldogs:
- Choose a bed with elevated bolsters. Beds with raised sides allow your English Bulldog to rest his head and elevate his neck. This can reduce snoring by reducing pressure in the throat, opening up the nasal passages, and moving your dog’s tongue out of the way.
- Check for environmental factors. If allergies cause your dog’s snoring, you should invest in a hypoallergenic dog bed. Models with breathable fabrics and thick foam mattresses allow air to circulate and prevent dust mites from setting up shop. You may also like to do an allergy test with your vet.
- Control your dog’s weight. Overweight dogs are more likely to snore. Make sure that your pup is getting the right amount of food and exercise to keep him healthy.
- Check for underlying medical causes. You may like to ask your vet about hypothyroidism, sleep apnea, or any other potential issues. He or she can walk you through all the possibilities.
So, which of these is the best dog bed for English bulldogs? We are going with the JOYELF Orthopedic Dog Bed. This bed is sizable, comfy, has couch arms, and even comes with an included toy.
Our Savvy Pick, KOPEKS Deluxe Orthopedic Memory Foam Sofa Lounge Dog Bed is also a worthy consideration. This bed is designed like both a normal bed and a couch with a removable bed cushion for easy cleaning.
All of these picks are great since each product is perfectly-sized to fit your English bulldog. This type of dog needs comfort to sleep peacefully and any of these choices is stellar for your dog’s favorite pastime.
All content has been reviewed for accuracy by Dr. Megan Teiber, DVM.