With their comically short legs and long bodies, Dachshunds are one of the most immediately recognizable breeds. However, they have their origins as hunting dogs and can be reasonably active. Therefore, it’s essential to invest in a quality orthopedic dog bed.
The overall best dog bed for Dachshunds is the Best Friends by Sheri Donut Bed. It is low but supportive, with plenty of fluffy material to keep your dog warm. It is also reasonably affordable and easy to wash.
In this buyer’s guide, I examine the best dog beds for Dachshunds. I break down the most popular options according to breed-specific criteria. I also explain where your Dachshund should sleep and how much rest he needs.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||Best Friends by Sheri Donut Bed||4.7/5|
|Savvy Pick||Furhaven Pet Memory Foam Cuddle Nest||4.4/5|
|Bargain Pick||MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Dog Bed||4.5/5|
|Luxury Pick||Barkbox 2-in-1 Memory Foam Dog Bolster Bed||4.5/5|
Product Reviews for Dachshund Beds
Best Overall: Best Friends by Sheri Donut Bed
The Best Friends by Sheri Donut Bed is the overall best dog bed for Dachshunds. It has a round shape with plenty of material and raised edges, allowing your pup to curl up or burrow into the mattress. The entire bed is covered in thick faux fur, which can keep your Dachshund warm in cooler weather.
It is reasonably low to the ground and shouldn’t present any issues for your Dachshund to climb. It also has an AirLoft fiber filling, which can provide some support. However, it doesn’t use memory foam. Therefore, dogs with joint problems are better suited to another option.
The material is resistant to liquids and dirt. You can also remove the cover in larger sizes when you need to wash the dog bed. However, you will need to wash the entirety of the small size. Therefore, consider first if you have a large washing machine or bathtub.
Because of its softness, it may not be suitable for destructive Dachshunds. However, it is an overall well-constructed, mid-range option with plenty of comfort and warmth.
- The round shape supports sleeping curled up.
- It has warm and cozy faux fur material.
- The pet bed is not too high from the ground.
- It has raised edges and a soft filling for support.
- The bed resists water and dirt.
- You can wash the entire bed.
- The company uses ethically-sourced materials.
- It has a mid-range price.
- The small size doesn’t have a removable cover.
- It doesn’t use memory foam.
- It could be easy to chew.
- Not a waterproof bed.
Savvy Pick: Furhaven Pet Memory Foam Cuddle Nest
The Furhaven Pet Memory Foam Cuddle Nest is the Savvy pick for Dachshunds. It has an extra-cozy design with a round base and a hooded section. This shape allows your pup to snuggle inside and retain his warmth.
It has a memory foam mattress that is thin enough to be accessible and thick enough to be supportive. If your Dachshund has joint problems, the memory foam bed could help to increase circulation and reduce swelling.
The cave bed is an excellent option for cold climates or during winter due to its shielded design and micro velvet material. However, the hood can fall at times. If your small dog panics when trapped, it may not be the best choice.
You can choose from a variety of different colors and sizes. Regardless of the model, you can take off the cover and wash it as needed. This design can help you keep the mattress fresh and hygienic for your Dachshund.
Overall, the orthopedic bed is a bit too soft for destructive dogs. However, Dachshunds that like to burrow and snuggle could find refuge in this design.
- The covered snuggle bed allows your dog to burrow and snuggle inside.
- The base is a supportive memory foam mattress.
- It could help with joint pain or problems.
- The surface is plush and warm.
- There are many color and size options.
- You can use your washing machine with the cover.
- It has a mid-range price.
- It is too delicate for a destructive chewer.
- The hood can fall on top of your dog.
Bargain Pick: MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Dog Bed
The MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Dog Bed is the best budget-friendly option for Dachshunds. Although cheaper than other choices, it still has some decent features that your dog may enjoy.
It has a rectangular shape that could fit nicely inside a crate. Crate training can be excellent for housetraining or to prevent destructive behavior. Still, the plastic bottom can be cold and uncomfortable. This mattress is thin enough to provide comfort and still allow space to move around.
It has a neutral appearance and non-slip bottom to prevent it from sliding around. If you have floorboards or tiles, this could prevent accidents or stop the bed from moving. You can also wash it on a gentle cycle and use the dryer to keep the mattress clean and fresh.
The bed has a poly-fiber cushion and soft exterior material. However, it lacks some of the support and superior materials of more expensive models. If you have a senior Dachshund or one with mobility problems, it may not help in the long-term.
- It is one of the most affordable options for Dachshunds.
- It is crate-compatible due to its rectangular shape.
- You can use the washing machine and dryer with the bed without damaging it.
- It has a neutral appearance.
- The exterior is soft and comfortable.
- It has a non-slip bottom to prevent accidents.
- It has a plush poly-fiber cushion.
- It doesn’t use memory foam or other premium materials.
- It doesn’t offer as much support as more expensive models.
- The seams are not super durable.
Luxury Pick: Barkbox 2-in-1 Memory Foam Dog Bolster Bed
The Barkbox 2-in-1 Memory Foam Dog Bolster Bed is a luxurious option for Dachshunds. The design allows you to use it as a bare mattress or as a complete bed with raised bolsters. Therefore, you can customize it to your dog’s comfort and sleeping style.
It has a memory foam base, arguably the best option for joint support and overall physical health. If you choose to use the bolsters, they can also align your Dachshund’s spine or provide neck support. However, keep in mind that a tiny or senior dog may struggle to climb over the edges.
The Dachshund bed includes a waterproof lining that protects the mattress. If you have a young puppy or an incontinent adult, this could save the mattress from accidental urine. If there are accidents, you can throw the cover in the washing machine and air dry it.
The main downside of this Dachshund dog bed is the price. It is a more substantial financial investment than other options. However, it does include a free squeaker toy, which could mitigate the costs a little.
Overall, it could be worth the investment if you want to take care of your Dachshund in the long-term.
- There are two possible bed configurations.
- Its mattress has premium memory foam.
- There are side bolsters for neck support.
- It has a waterproof lining and is easy to wash.
- The raised edges can help your dog snuggle and feel secure and prevent separation anxiety.
- It includes a free surprise toy.
- This bed is one of the most expensive choices for Dachshunds.
- The side bolsters may be challenging for small or physically impaired dogs.
Buying Guide: How to Choose a Dog Bed for a Daschund
What Size Bed Does a Dachshund Need?
There are two different Dachshund sizes:
- Miniature: These Dachshunds weigh below 11 pounds (5kg). Some may weigh up to 16 pounds (7.3kg), but they don’t fit the breed standard. Miniature Dachshunds suit small-sized dog beds.
- Standard: Standard Dachshunds weigh from 16 to 32 pounds (7.3 to 14.5kg). They can fit on medium or small-sized dog beds, depending on their adult size.
You should check with your breeder as to the predicted final size of your Dachshund puppy. A bed that is too small could be uncomfortable for your pup and a waste of your money.
To learn more about Dachshunds, you can check out this video.
What Is the Best Dog Bed for a Dachshund?
The best dog beds for Dachshunds share the following characteristics:
- A low mattress: Dachshunds have short legs and are also vulnerable to intervertebral disk disease (IVDD). They may find it difficult or painful to climb up and down high surfaces, and they can do more damage to their bodies. Therefore, low mattresses allow for greater mobility. An elevated bed is not ideal for smaller dogs.
- Supportive memory foam: IVDD can be painful and cause extra inflammation in your pup’s body. A high-quality memory foam mattress could reduce this swelling by promoting greater blood flow.
- Warm fabrics: Dachshunds have a low tolerance for cold weather. They have short coats and often love to snuggle into warm places. Choosing thicker and insulated materials could help your dog withstand winter nights and cold climates.
- Durable materials: Dachshunds have a natural digging instinct because of their history of hunting badgers. Although they are small, their claws could tear through a mattress cover and into the foam. Investing in a durable dog bed could prevent your pup from ruining his new bed.
- Crate compatible: This breed can be stubborn, and it may take some time to housetrain your Dachshund. Choosing a dog bed that is waterproof and fits inside a dog crate could speed up the process and avoid disastrous accidents.
What Should You Avoid in a Dachshund Dog Bed?
There are some qualities you should stay away from in a dog bed for Dachshunds:
- High mattresses: Due to their short legs and common spinal problems, Dachshunds may suffer climbing up and down. The higher the bed, the more it may harm your dog.
- Bare surfaces: Dachshunds have a low tolerance for cold weather. They also have back problems, so you should avoid hard and cold surfaces as much as possible.
- Unsupportive mattresses: All dogs can benefit from a supportive mattress. However, a lumpy or overly soft mattress can be particularly harmful to a Dachshund. It can exacerbate back pain and prevent your pup from sleeping well.
Should I Let My Dachshund Sleep with Me?
Dachshunds are often family-oriented dogs and may try to sleep in your bed with you. They also have a natural burrowing instinct, so cuddling into the blankets near your feet may come naturally for them. However, there are a few reasons why your Dachshund should have his own bed.
Firstly, Dachshunds are small dogs. If you accidentally roll on top of your pup during the night, you could seriously injure him. He may also leave fur throughout your bedding, meaning that you will need to wash your sheets and blankets more frequently.
It may also be difficult for a Dachshund to get on and off your bed. Unless you have a ramp or a similar tool, he may not be able to jump down without injuring himself. This is particularly true if you have a miniature Dachshund or one with spinal problems.
In a study from the Mayo Clinic, dog owners who sleep with their dogs reduce their sleep efficiency by 3%. While a relatively small number this can compound into many hours of sleep lost over the lifetime of your pup.
Lastly, dogs should have a relaxation space. By owning their own bed or crate, they can retreat when they feel tired or stressed. Your Dachshund may be perfectly happy snoozing in your bed with you, but a separate mattress is better for his and your health.
In conclusion, the Best Friends by Sheri Donut Bed is the Best Overall dog bed for Dachshunds. It strikes a good balance between cozy and comfortable, with warm and fluffy fabric.
The Savvy Pick is the Furhaven Pet Memory Foam Cuddle Nest. The unique shape allows your pup to follow his instincts and burrow inside the warm fabric.
When choosing a dog bed for your Dachshund, think about his unique physical needs. You should accommodate his short and long body, as well as his tendency to dig and his need for warm material.
Overall, Dachshunds are excellent family pets that can bring you a lot of love and joy. By investing in the right bed for your pup, you can keep him happy and healthy in the long-term.