Although they were initially guard dogs, Boxers are often loving members of the family. However, they have high energy needs, must exercise intensely every day, and need a cozy place to sleep at night. If you’ve been looking for a dog bed for your Boxer, you’ve come to the right place.
The best dog bed for Boxers is the Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed. It uses high-quality memory foam that is clinically proven to reduce joint pain and increase the quality of life. Although it is pricey, the bed is durable, easy to clean, and of excellent quality.
This buying guide evaluates the best dog beds for Boxers. I cover each product in detail and give realistic feedback. I also help you identify and solve destructive chewing behavior in your dog.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Product Reviews for Boxer Dog Beds
|Best Overall||Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed||4.8/5|
|Runner-Up||PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed||4.7/5|
|Savvy Pick||Brindle Orthopedic Memory Foam Bed||4.7/5|
|Best Pick for Puppies||K9 Ballistics Deep Den Round Dog Bed||4.5/5|
|Best Pick for Senior Dogs||The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Headrest Dog Bed||4.4/5|
|Best Pick for Destructive Dogs||K9 Ballistics Tough Orthopedic Dog Bed||4.3/5|
Best Pick for Cold Climates
Furhaven Pet Sofa-Style Dog Bed
|Best Pick for Hot Climates||Kuranda Chewproof Dog Bed||4.6/5|
|Budget Pick||Barkbox Dog Bed||4.5/5|
|Luxury Pick||Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed with Pillow Top|
Best Overall: Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed is the overall best option for Boxers. It could be particularly beneficial if your pup has hip dysplasia or other joint conditions. The design of the mattress can reduce pain and increase mobility.
Big Barker did a study for one month with the University of Pennsylvania. They had large dogs sleep on the bed every night and evaluated their bodies afterward. They found that this bed reduced pain from joint conditions and helped the dogs move more easily.
It has seven inches (17.8cm) of premium memory foam in a simple rectangular mattress shape. It has the ideal pressure for large dogs like Boxers. Also, it includes an extended warranty in case you run into any issues.
The exterior cover is soft but resistant to damage, so it should withstand light nesting behavior. You can also remove the entire surface and wash it if it gets covered in drool or dirt. Overall, the fabric is non-toxic and shouldn’t provoke an allergic reaction.
- It is clinically proven to help with joint conditions.
- The design is optimized for large breed dogs.
- The bed includes a ten-year warranty.
- The cover is soft and durable.
- You can wash the cover in the washing machine.
- It is hypoallergenic and non-toxic.
- It is one of the most expensive dog beds for Boxers.
- The mattress does not have pillows or bolsters.
- The mattress is bulky and can be challenging to move or transport.
Runner-Up: PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is the runner-up for Boxers. I like this bed for multiple breeds because it has an overall effective and comfortable design with premium materials. There are also large sizes suitable for a Boxer dog.
It has a simple but effective design with a rectangular memory foam mattress and side bolsters. These supports can keep your dog’s spine in alignment or serve as pillows. They can be particularly helpful if your dog snores a lot and needs some neck elevation.
The fabric is hypoallergenic and reasonably durable. You can also machine wash it, but I don’t recommend using a drier. The material is a little bit thin, so it may wear down quickly if you are rough with it. For this reason, I also don’t recommend it for destructive Boxers.
There is non-slip material at the bottom to keep the mattress in place. This could be helpful if you have slippery floors like tiles or floorboards. If your Boxer is exceptionally playful, this could prevent him from sending the bed flying.
- It has a memory foam mattress, and plush side bolsters.
- The fabric is certified non-toxic and has hypoallergenic properties.
- The exterior is resistant to water and removable when you need to wash it.
- It has a non-skid base for stability on slippery surfaces.
- It is not the cheapest option for Boxers.
- The material can wear out over time and may not suit destructive Boxers.
- It can be frustrating to assemble.
Savvy Pick: Brindle Orthopedic Memory Foam Bed
The Brindle Orthopedic Memory Foam Bed is the Savvy Pick. While still a relatively expensive option, it is slightly more affordable than many other options for Boxers. It also has the standard but effective layout of a rectangular memory foam mattress and raised bolsters on the sides.
Unlike other dog beds, it has a contemporary design that can blend with your existing decor. You can choose from a few different color options, all of which are more attractive than your standard pet bed.
It has a solid memory foam core and raised bolsters. If your Boxer has joint problems or snores while he sleeps, this could provide some relief. There is also a gap in the supports so your dog can climb up and down with minimal effort.
This dog bed is better suited to cold climates. It has a soft velvet exterior that is cozy and can provide extra warmth. This could help your Boxer stay warm during the winter but may be uncomfortable in summer or hot climates.
- It has a stylish design and a few color options.
- It has side supports for dogs that snore.
- The mattress is made of high-quality memory foam.
- The outer is soft and warm for cooler climates.
- The exterior is water-resistant and washable.
- It includes an open section so your Boxer can climb up and down.
- The company has ethical principles.
- It can fit inside a crate.
- You should not give it to a destructive chewer.
- It may be too warm for hot climates.
Best Pick for Puppies: K9 Ballistics Deep Den Round Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics Deep Den Round Dog Bed is the best option for Boxer puppies. The brand is famous for its extraordinarily resistant and durable beds that can withstand chewing, digging, and nesting. While this isn’t one of their hardcore options, it is cozy and hardy enough for a puppy.
The high sides and sunken mattress suit dogs that like to cuddle and snuggle. If your new puppy is still getting used to your home, he may feel more secure in this bed shape. It can also keep warmth inside, ideal for cooler climates.
It is resistant to water, and you can wash it in the machine. This feature is essential if you are still trying to potty-train your puppy. However, you can only clean the sides, and the center section as the bed does not allow you to remove the cover. This could be challenging unless you have a very large washing machine.
- The high sides and round shape can help puppies feel more secure.
- It can handle some light chewing and digging.
- The ripstop fabric prevents dogs from tearing far into the material.
- There are no zippers to latch onto or break.
- It has a Chew Proof Guarantee.
- The fabric is water-resistant against potty training accidents.
- The cost may not be affordable for some people.
- You cannot remove the cover, so you need a large washing machine.
Best Pick for Senior Dogs: The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Headrest Dog Bed
The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Headrest Dog Bed is the best option for senior Boxers. Aging dogs have unique problems like aching joints from arthritis or genetic conditions. They may also struggle with incontinence and wet the bed at times without realizing it.
One of its best features is the thick foam mattress. It combines memory and support foam, which provide comfort and align the joints, respectively. The bed can increase blood flow, prevent calluses on the joints, and help with any mobility problems.
At one end of the mattress, there is a raised bump that your dog can use as a pillow. If your Boxer has neck pain or snores a lot, this feature could provide some relief.
It also accommodates dogs with incontinence. It has a reliable waterproof mattress protector to keep urine out of the foam. The exterior is also quick-drying and washable, so you can clean up after any accidents.
However, the cover is a bit thin and wears down quickly. If your old Boxer still likes to chew or dig, it may not withstand his behavior for long.
- There are many size options that could suit Boxers.
- It has a waterproof mattress protector and quick-drying fabric to protect against incontinence.
- It has memory foam and support foam to hold aging joints.
- There is a small headrest to support the neck and reduce snoring.
- It reduces pressure on your dog’s joints and skin.
- You can take off the cover to wash it.
- It is one of the pricier options for Boxers.
- The outer cover does not have the most durable material.
Best Pick for Destructive Dogs: K9 Ballistics Tough Orthopedic Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics Tough Orthopedic Dog Bed is your best choice for destructive Boxers. Many beds can’t stand up to a Boxer’s strong jaws, forcing you to replace the bed frequently and waste a lot of money. However, this option is a lot more resistant.
It uses K9 Ballistics proprietary ripstop fabric, which prevents dogs from tearing into it. If your Boxer is a mild to moderate chewer or likes to dig into his bed, then this could be a viable choice. However, very destructive Boxers may need an even more heavy-duty bed.
It has a supportive and firm memory foam mattress that conforms to your dog’s body. This is protected by a waterproof cover and so may suit young puppies or seniors. It could relieve some pain for dogs with joint problems but may be too firm for dogs that like to snuggle.
- It can withstand mild to medium destructive behavior.
- The fabric is resistant to tearing and generally durable.
- It is waterproof and straightforward to clean.
- The CertiPUR-US memory foam is supportive and doesn’t flatten quickly.
- The company has a Chew Proof Guarantee.
- There are various size options for Boxers of all ages.
- It may be too firm for some dogs.
- It is not the most affordable choice for Boxers.
- Very destructive dogs will still be able to destroy it.
Best Pick for Cold Climates: Furhaven Pet Sofa-Style Dog Bed
The Furhaven Pet Sofa-Style Dog Bed is the best option for Boxers in cold climates or during winter. Boxers have short hair and can struggle to regulate their temperature when the mercury drops. Therefore, it is crucial to invest in a warm and cozy bed during these times.
It has a cute sofa design with a flat memory foam base and side bolsters like a couch’s arms. This mid-range bed uses good quality foam that can reduce pressure and increase blood flow. However, it may not be of the same level as the premium beds for Boxers.
It has a warm and cozy design for cold nights. The bed has a mixture of faux fur and microsuede, both soft to the touch and keep the surface warm. If your Boxer struggles to keep himself warm, he might love this fabric.
Although the bed cover is removable and washable, it isn’t waterproof or water-resistant. Therefore, this is not a viable choice for Boxers that are not potty trained or that have incontinence.
- It is a mid-range option for Boxers.
- The bed has faux fur and microsuede to provide comfort and warmth.
- The bed has a flat base and side bolsters for head and neck support.
- It has a memory foam base for joint support.
- There are a few color variations to choose from.
- It is not difficult to clean.
- The bed does not suit destructive dogs.
- It is not waterproof.
Best Pick for Hot Climates: Kuranda Chewproof Dog Bed
The Kuranda Chewproof Dog Bed is a top choice for hot climates or during summer. Boxers can suffer during the heat because they have poor regulation of their internal temperatures. Therefore, investing in an elevated cooling bed could help keep them more comfortable.
Because the bed is elevated on its legs, the air can circulate freely underneath. The fabric is also extra breathable, further improving the airflow. My dog constantly overheats, even in spring, and this bed design would help keep her cool. If your dog is like mine, it could be an excellent investment.
It is also a suitable option for destructive Boxers. The bed uses heavy-duty materials, abrasion-resistant fabric, and covers all of the corners. This makes it difficult for your dog to latch on and start chewing.
The main downside of this option is that it has no cushioning or softness. If your pup likes plush surfaces, he may not want to sleep on this bed. You will also need to put it together yourself, which could be challenging.
- It is a durable option and suitable for destructive Boxers.
- The elevated surface allows air to circulate underneath.
- It has a mid-range price when compared to other dog beds for Boxers.
- The material is resistant to abrasions and is straightforward to clean.
- It has UV resistance to make it last longer.
- It does not have any cushioning or other soft surfaces.
- You have to assemble it yourself.
Budget Pick: Barkbox Dog Bed
The Barkbox Dog Bed is the best budget option for Boxers. Many large beds are in the medium to high price range, so this could be an excellent choice if you want to save some dollars. Despite its lower price, it still has some great features for your dog.
It has a simple rectangular mattress that uses memory foam and pressure-relieving gel. While it is a basic shape, this means that you can fit it easily inside a crate. Crate training can be an excellent tool for potty-training or to curb destructive behavior.
It has a waterproof liner and water-resistant material. You can also wash it relatively easily by hand or on a gentle cycle. However, the fabric is a little thin for Boxers that like to chew. I think they could tear it apart in no time.
As a bonus, Barkbox includes a free squeaking chew toy with this bed. Boxers generally get super excited about any new toys, so this could be a massive advantage for your pup.
- It is one of the most affordable dog beds for Boxers.
- The mattress has three inches (7.6cm) of memory foam.
- The bed is waterproof and washable.
- The low, rectangular shape could be suitable for a crate.
- It includes a free chew toy.
- It has a layer of gel to reduce joint pressure.
- The design is a bit simple and boring.
- Destructive Boxers could tear it up easily.
Luxury Pick: Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed with Pillow Top
The Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed with Pillow Top is the best luxury option for Boxers. Like other Big Barker beds, it has the scientific evidence to back its claims. If your pup has any kind of joint problems, this bed can provide some relief.
It differs from the other Big Barker bed because of the raised pillow section. This can provide further spinal support or even prevent snoring. Elevating the head can improve your Boxer’s breathing and allow him to have a more restful night’s sleep.
The cover is soft but durable, allowing it to withstand normal nesting behavior. You can also wash it in the washing machine without damaging the material.
The main downside of this bed is the price and its firmness. Depending on your Boxer’s size, it may be too hard for him. However, larger dogs should feel comfortable and supported by the premium memory foam.
- The mattress reduces joint pain and increases overall mobility if used regularly.
- It includes a raised pillow section to eliminate snoring or support your dog’s spine.
- The overall design is ideal for larger and extra-large dog breeds.
- The cover is durable, and you can machine-wash it.
- It comes with an extended warranty.
- The fabric is soft and comfortable.
- It is one of the priciest dog beds for Boxers.
- The bed is heavy and bulky.
- It may be too firm for puppies or smaller Boxers.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Dog Bed for a Boxer
What Size Dog Bed Does a Boxer Need?
Boxers are medium to large size dogs. Male Boxers can weigh up to 70 pounds (31.8kg) and stand between 22.5 and 25 inches tall (57.2 and 63.5cm).
Female Boxers are slightly smaller. They usually weigh a maximum of 60 pounds (27.2kg) and have a height of between 21 and 23.5 inches (53.3 and 59.7cm).
In general, your Boxer will need a Large bed. However, depending on the brand and your dog’s size, he may better fit a Medium or XL. If you have a Boxer puppy, you can use his parents’ size to indicate his adult height and weight.
What Is the Best Dog Bed for Boxers?
The best dog beds for Boxers have the following qualities:
- Hypoallergenic: Boxers are vulnerable to all kinds of allergies. They can have reactions to food, pollen, dust mites, or any other environmental factors. By choosing a hypoallergenic dog bed, you can reduce your pup’s symptoms. However, you may also need to visit a vet for a more comprehensive treatment plan.
- Premium foam mattress: Like many large-breed dogs, Boxers can get hip dysplasia. This painful disorder affects the joints and can make it difficult for your dog to walk, climb, or feel comfortable. By choosing a memory foam or other premium mattress, you can reduce pressure and discomfort in your pup’s body.
- Water-resistant: Boxers are brachycephalic dogs. This means that they have short snouts and flatter faces. Because of their snout shape, they are prone to drooling, especially on the bed. A waterproof liner or water-resistant fabric can protect the bed’s mattress from excess drool.
- Side bolsters: A Boxer’s flatter face also makes him more likely to snore. A bed with a side bolster or pillow can elevate your dog’s neck and reduce his snoring. This could be a lifesaver if you sleep in the same room.
- Easy to clean: Because of the drool and shedding, you will need to wash the dog bed on a regular basis. By selecting a mattress with a removable cover, you can simplify and speed up the process.
- Resistant to destruction: Boxers have strong jaws and can be destructive chewers. Particularly if your dog does not get enough exercise, he may turn his teeth on the mattress. Investing in a chew proof dog bed can protect your investment in the long-term.
- Climate-appropriate: Boxers have a low tolerance for very hot or freezing weather. Besides keeping their bed inside, you should choose a fabric that suits your area’s climate. Otherwise, your pup may be shivering or overheating during the night.
What Should You Avoid in a Boxer Dog Bed?
There are a few factors you should avoid when choosing a dog bed:
- Cheap foam mattresses: Mattresses made of egg crate or chipped foam may not be supportive enough for a Boxer. If your pup already has hip dysplasia or if you worry about him developing it, these surfaces can do more harm than good. The few dollars you save cold have a negative impact on your Boxer’s health.
- Soft fabrics: Many dogs like a soft surface to sleep on. However, very thin fabrics will not stand up to destructive chewing, nesting, or digging. Thankfully, there are resistant materials that are also comfortable for your pup.
- All-in-one beds: Beds with the cover attached to the mattress can be a pain when it comes time to wash them. Unless you have a very large washing machine or a bathtub, you may struggle to do this at home. This means more time that your dog will be away from his bed.
- Easy to stain materials: Boxer drool can soak into the fabric and stain it if you are not quick to clean it. Pale or sensitive materials that show stains easily are probably not a good idea when you own this breed.
Do Boxers Need Dog Beds?
You may be accustomed to letting your Boxer sleep on your bed or the couch. However, there are good reasons why you should invest in a specialty dog bed for your pup.
Firstly, premium dog beds have a specialty design. They use memory foam that is optimized for dog bodies to relieve pressure and increase comfort. Even if your own mattress has memory foam, it accommodates different weights than a dog bed.
Dog beds are also a lot easier to clean than your bed. If you get dirt and dog hair inside your sheets, you will need to wash and change all of your bedding. With a dog bed, you can just remove and wash the cover.
Dogs can also feel more relaxed when they have a place of their own. A busy house can get stressful for even the most social dog. If your pup has his own place to retreat and recharge, he should feel more comfortable in your home.
How to Stop a Boxer from Chewing His Bed?
Boxers have a lot of energy at any age. If you have a puppy, he may chew anything in sight to cope with teething discomfort. Adult Boxers may rip up furniture, including their bed, if they are bored. Dogs that are under-stimulated or not getting enough exercise can look for their own ways to expend their energy.
There are a few steps you can take to stop your Boxer from chewing on his bed:
- Monitor your dog. Stay in the same room as your Boxer so you can catch him in the act of chewing.
- Choose an alternative. Invest in a chew toy that you would prefer your Boxer to chew on. Because of his strong jaws, you may want to pick a resistant and durable toy that can withstand chewing.
- Interrupt. When you catch your Boxer chewing on the bed, interrupt him by calling his name or getting his attention with other noises.
- Redirect. Give him the chew toy that you selected for this purpose. You will need to do this every single time for it to stick in your Boxer’s brain.
- Reward. Shower your Boxer with praise and affection every time he chooses to chew on his toy instead of his bed. Over time, you can build a positive association so he can choose the toy every time.
If you want to see more tips for stopping destructive chewing, you can check out this video.
In conclusion, the Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed is the Overall Best dog bed for Boxers. It is one of the few mattresses that have scientific research to back its claims. Overall, it can alleviate pain from hip dysplasia or other joint disorders.
The Runner-Up is the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed. This popular option is well-made, has supportive bolsters and a foam mattress, and is easy to clean.
The Brindle Orthopedic Memory Foam Bed is the Savvy Pick. It is both cozy and supportive, with side bolsters to support the neck and reduce any snoring.
When choosing a dog bed for a Boxer, you should prioritize a high-quality mattress and hypoallergenic materials. It is also essential to select a durable option that can withstand some chewing or playful behavior.
Overall, by investing in a premium dog bed, you can help your Boxer rest better. This could increase his quality of life and keep your furry friend healthy and happy.