Basset Hounds have a cute but comical appearance, with their stumpy legs and extremely long ears. However, they are traditionally hunting dogs and can swing between periods of intense activity and lounging around. If you’re looking for a comfortable place for your Basset to rest, you’ve come to the right place.
The overall best dog bed for Basset Hounds is the Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed. It has a waterproof lining and uses hypoallergenic fabrics to keep your pup healthy and hygienic. It also features high-quality memory foam for joint support.
This guide explores all the characteristics of the best dog beds for Basset Hounds. I break down each option in detail so you can see if it suits your particular dog. I also help you decide the best sleeping place for your pup.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed||4.7/5|
|Savvy Pick||Sealy Lux Quad Layer Orthopedic Dog Bed||4.6/5|
|Best Pick for Crates||PETLIBRO Dog Bed for Crate||4.7/5|
|Bargain Pick||Barkbox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed||4.5/5|
|Luxury Pick||PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed||4.7/5|
|Best Pick for Senior Dogs||The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed||4.4/5|
Product Reviews for Basset Hound Beds
Best Overall: Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed
The Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed is the overall best option for Basset Hounds. It has a 4-inch (10.2cm) mattress, which combines high-density support and memory foam.
Its overall width is accessible for a Basset to climb up and down, with enough pressure to alleviate joint pain. If you have an older dog or you’re worried about problems like arthritis, it could be a good investment.
This memory foam bed is easy to clean and wash. It has a waterproof liner, and the exterior is also resistant to liquids and fur. You can shake out most of the mess and use a washing machine for total cleanliness.
It is naturally hypoallergenic, with dense foam that prevents dust mites from setting up shop in the mattress. The material is also unlikely to trigger allergic reactions.
However, it is not resistant enough to resist chewing. If you have a teething puppy or a mouthy adult, you may want to choose a more durable option. This mid-range orthopedic bed is not the cheapest option, but it has many excellent qualities for Basset Hounds.
- The mattress has a fully waterproof cover.
- It uses a combination of high-density support and memory foam.
- The mattress pressure can reduce pain and help with joint conditions.
- The material is resistant to liquid, hair, and dirt.
- The bed is hypoallergenic and easy to wash.
- There are a few different size options.
- The rectangular shape is crate-friendly.
- The price is mid-range and not affordable for everyone.
- Destructive dogs can chew through the fabric.
Savvy Pick: Sealy Lux Quad Layer Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Sealy Lux Quad Layer Orthopedic Dog Bed is the Savvy Pick for Basset Hounds. Although it is more expensive than other options, it has an excellent design and premium materials for your precious pup.
Its Quad Element foam has four different layers. They combine to reduce pressure, provide comfort, help your hunting dog regulate his temperature, and remove foul odors. The charcoal layer on the bottom is responsible for maintaining overall freshness.
It has various features that make it more durable. The mattress has a waterproof liner for protection, and the resistant cover is also removable. Therefore, you can preserve the bed for longer by washing it and drying it regularly.
Other than the price, the main drawback of this bed is its size. It is reasonably bulky and heavy, so it’s probably not a viable option if you’re looking for portability. However, the weight and non-slip bottom keep the bed in place when it is in use.
- The Quad Element foam supports, comforts, and reduces foul odors.
- It has small bolsters around three edges for neck and spine support.
- The mattress provides orthopedic support and allows dogs to climb up and down.
- You can take off and machine-wash the bed cover.
- It is a fresh and hygienic option.
- It has a cooling gel for hot climates.
- The bed has a non-slip bottom and a waterproof mattress liner.
- The bed has an extended warranty.
- It is one of the more expensive options for Basset Hounds.
- It is heavy and bulky, making it more challenging to transport or move.
Best Pick for Crates: PETLIBRO Dog Bed for Crate
The PETLIBRO Dog Bed is the best crate-friendly choice for Basset Hounds. Crate training can be practical if you are still potty-training your puppy or dealing with a destructive dog. This bed has a thin and rectangular size that can fit inside the cage of your choosing.
The company advertises a 3-inch (7.6cm) mattress, although many users report it is closer to 2.5 inches (6.6cm). Regardless, the base has a blend of support and memory foam, with a cooling gel layer. All of these components work together for support and comfort.
It is thin enough to fit inside a crate and has ample space for a Basset Hound. I also like its cover, which is a microfiber that is both hardy and breathable. Overall, it is comfortable and relatively long-lasting.
The main drawback of the crate bed is its simplicity. With a simple grey color and rectangular shape, it lacks personality. However, if you are simply looking for a functional crate mattress, it could do the trick.
- The shape and width are compatible with many crate types.
- The bed is budget-friendly and good value for money.
- It has layers of memory foam and support foam blend.
- There is a layer of cooling gel to help your dog regulate his temperature.
- The microfiber cover is durable and breathable.
- You can spot clean or machine-wash the mattress encasement and outer cover.
- It has an inner lining that resists water.
- The design and aesthetics are a bit basic.
Bargain Pick: Barkbox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed
The Barkbox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed is the best budget-friendly choice for Basset Hounds. Although it is at the cheaper end, it is still well-made and has a supportive mattress. It also includes a free Barkbox toy, making it even better value for money.
Like other dog beds for Basset Hounds, it has a rectangular mattress that is thin enough for your dog to go up and down quickly. It has 3 inches (7.6cm) of good-quality memory foam with a thin layer of cooling gel. If your pup has arthritis or other joint problems, it could be beneficial.
The bed is waterproof and has a cozy top material for your dog to snuggle into. You can also pull off the entire cover to wash it, allowing you to keep the bed fresh in the long-term.
However, the material is a little bit thin. Therefore, it may tear if your dog likes to dig or nest into his bed. If this is the case, I recommend choosing a more durable model.
- It is one of the most affordable options for Basset Hounds.
- It comes with a free squeaker toy.
- The bed combines memory foam and cooling gel for therapeutic relief.
- It is waterproof and has a removable, zippered cover.
- It has a plush fabric top that keeps your dog comfortable and cozy.
- The bed is thin enough to fit inside a crate.
- The mattress is lightweight and portable.
- The mattress sizes run small.
- The fabric is too thin for digging and nesting dogs.
Luxury Pick: PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is the best luxurious option for Basset Hounds. While it is at the higher end of prices, it has many excellent design features that I think make it worth considering.
It has a design like a mini sofa, with a 4-inch (10.2cm) memory foam mattress and pillows around three edges. If your Basset Hound usually snores, the neck elevation from one of the bolsters could reduce the problem. The overall design could also reduce joint pain.
The material is safe and healthy for dogs with a hypoallergenic and non-toxic fabric blend. It’s free of the harmful fumes that you may find in other foam mattresses and is unlikely to trigger an allergic response. For the same reason this bed can help reduce ear infections by keeping your dog’s ear free of toxins.
Although it is one of the more expensive options, it is reasonably durable. It has a waterproof liner and a water-resistant cover to protect the mattress from damage. You can also wash it as needed.
However, the fabric is not strong enough for destructive dogs. It is also not the right shape to fit inside a crate. However, it works well as a standalone option in your bedroom or living room.
- It provides orthopedic support with a memory foam mattress and pillow bolsters.
- The corners allow your pup to snuggle and could reduce anxiety.
- The fabric is non-toxic and hypoallergenic.
- It is straightforward to wash and clean.
- It has a protective waterproof liner, and the exterior is also resistant to water.
- The non-skid bottom material keeps your dog secure on floorboards or tiles.
- It has a cute aesthetic.
- It is one of the pricier options for Basset Hounds.
- The bed is not compatible with most crates.
- It is not the easiest option to assemble.
Best Pick for Senior Dogs: The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Dog’s, Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed is the best choice for senior Basset Hounds. It uses premium memory foam that is sensitive to heat and can increase blood flow. If your older pup has arthritis, hip dysplasia, or other pain, it could relieve the discomfort while he sleeps.
It also accommodates seniors with incontinence. The mattress is protected by a fully waterproof liner that prevents urine from penetrating the foam. If your dog has an accident, you can simply remove the cover to wash it. It also dries faster than other brands.
There are multiple color and pattern options available. You can coordinate the bed to your existing home decor or your personality. However, the outer fabric is a bit thin and may tear if chewed on. Therefore, it is only suitable for seniors and not puppies.
The price is the main drawback of this bed. It isn’t the cheapest option out there, but it uniquely accommodates a senior dog’s needs like a Basset Hound.
- The design is fully resistant to water to protect against accidents from incontinence.
- There are many color and pattern variations to choose from.
- It has a supportive mattress that can give orthopedic support and relieve pain.
- The removable cover is washable and quick-drying.
- The fabric is heat-sensitive and of high quality.
- It may be too pricey for some people.
- The cover is tearable and not a viable option for destructive pups.
Buying Guide: How to Choose a Dog Bed for a Basset Hound
What Size Bed Does a Basset Hound Need?
Despite their short stature, Basset hounds are relatively heavy. They can weigh between 50 and 65 pounds (22.7 and 29.5kg) while standing only 14 inches (35.6cm) tall. Basset Hounds are also prone to obesity, so your pup may be even heavier if you are not careful.
Overall, this is a medium-sized breed. However, if your Hound likes to lounge, you might want to size up to a large dog bed.
What Is the Best Dog Bed for a Basset Hound?
There are a few common factors to look for in a Basset Hound bed:
- Hypoallergenic materials: Basset Hounds are vulnerable to allergic reactions in their eyes, ears, and skin. You may need additional medications from a vet, but a hypoallergenic dog bed could reduce symptoms as well.
- Supportive but accessible mattress: Basset Hounds can develop mobility problems like hip dysplasia, patellar luxation, or panosteitis. They also have short legs and may struggle to climb up tall mattresses. Therefore, a supportive but low memory foam mattress is the best option.
- Water resistance: Because of their large and floppy lips, Basset Hounds drool a lot. This can happen while they are awake or asleep, so water resistance is crucial. Otherwise, the drool may soak through and damage the mattress, which is harder to clean or replace.
- Removable cover: Because of the previously mentioned drool and the potential for potty training accidents, you should choose a removable cover. It allows you to wash the dog bed without having to wet the entire mattress. Therefore, it is more convenient and dries faster.
- Crate-friendly: Basset Hounds can be stubborn and resistant to all kinds of training. This includes house training, so you may need to use a crate to help in this process. By choosing a dog bed that fits inside a cage, you can keep your pup comfortable.
If you want to learn more about Basset Hounds you can watch this video.
What to Avoid in a Basset Hound Dog Bed?
When searching for a bed for your Basset Hound, you should avoid these qualities:
- Synthetic materials: Scratchy and synthetic fabrics may worsen allergies in your big dog. If the material is too tightly woven, it can also prevent airflow. This can cause your dog to overheat or make them feel generally uncomfortable.
- Tall mattresses: Basset Hounds do not have the anatomy to hop up and down from high places. Very thick mattresses will be a struggle for your Basset to climb and may even hurt his joints. An elevated dog bed is not helpful for this short dog breed.
- Insufficient support: Mattresses that are soft and lumpy or excessively hard may do more harm than good. If the bed does not have enough support, it could hurt your dog in the short and long-term.
- Difficult to clean: Drool, fur, dirt, and even urine can soak into a Basset Hound’s bed. Suppose you choose thin and delicate materials or a bulky mattress without a removable cover. In that case, you may struggle to wash it.
Can Basset Hounds Be Outside Dogs?
Basset Hounds love a backyard where they can run around and play. However, they do not do well as outside dogs. This breed has a lower than average tolerance for both hot and cold weather. Unless you live in a very temperate climate, your Basset will feel the temperature fluctuations.
They are also social dogs and love to be with their family. If you leave your Basset Hound unattended for long periods, he may bark, howl, or become destructive. He is much happier inside the home, where he can feel close to you and your loved ones.
In conclusion, the Best Overall dog bed for Basset Hounds is the Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed. It uses premium materials and has quality memory foam to support your pup’s body.
The Sealy Lux Quad Layer Orthopedic Dog Bed is the Savvy Pick. It excels with its top-quality foam blend mattress and overall designer construction.
When choosing a dog bed for your Basset Hound, consider his specific needs. In general, this breed needs a supportive but accessible mattress, hypoallergenic materials, water resistance, and easy cleaning.
Spending money on a dog bed can seem expensive at first. However, the investment is worth it for the comfort that your Basset will feel. By ensuring a good night’s sleep, the furriest member of your family can be happy and healthy.