Australian Shepherds are one of the most driven, intelligent, and active working breeds. Their energy can be a lot to handle for even experienced owners, but they also need downtime. We’ve found the best dog beds for Australian Shepherds, so your hard-working pup can get well-earned rest.
Help keep SavvyDoggo savvy by answering this one question poll!
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed|
|Savvy Pick||Friends Forever Lounge Sofa|
|Bargain Pick||JoicyCo Dog Bed with Headrest|
|Luxury Pick||FrontPet Lux Dog Bed|
Product Reviews for Australian Shepherd Dog Beds
Best Overall: PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is the best dog bed for Australian Shepherds. It’s not the cheapest investment, but it has high-quality memory foam and a supportive design.
It uses four inches of premium memory foam, which is free from allergy-causing fumes and dangerous metals. Because the foam is dense and firm, it helps relieve pressure and pain from arthritis and other joint conditions, which is ideal for a senior dog.
With back and side bolsters, the bed is suitable for dogs that like to sleep in various positions. The raised edges can give extra support and increased feelings of safety.
Most importantly, in my opinion, the PetFusion bed uses thick and durable materials. They are resistant to tears, water, and dirt, so they should stand up against the average Aussie Shepherd. You can also throw the cover in the washing machine if you need it.
The main disadvantage of this bolster bed is the price. It isn’t the cheapest option on the market. However, you get what you pay for with this pricier mattress. Because of its durable construction, you shouldn’t need to replace it any time soon. For more information you can read our full PetFusion Dog Bed Review.
- The mattress has four inches (10.2cm) of premium memory foam.
- The side supports can elevate the neck or support the spine.
- The material has a hypoallergenic cotton and polyester blend.
- The outer cover is durable and resistant to water.
- It is easy to clean.
- The bed has a neutral and attractive aesthetic design.
- The price is a moderate investment.
- The sizes run a bit small.
Savvy Pick: Friends Forever Lounge Sofa
The Friends Forever Lounge Sofa is the Savvy pick for dog beds for Australian Shepherds. It has many of the same features as the PetFusion option, at a lower price point.
Its mattress has thick memory foam, which is classified as human-grade. Therefore, it should be comfortable enough even for you to sleep on, let alone your pup. This foam is dense enough to prevent the penetration of dust mites and is supportive for tired limbs.
The side bolsters can help support the head, neck, and spine. This design could be helpful if your Aussie Shepherd has hip dysplasia or is an older dog.
If you have a destructive dog like mine, you know the perils of soft and easy to tear fabrics around sharp teeth. Thankfully, this bed uses a thick and durable cover that should e able to withstand all but the most destructive chewers.
The main disadvantage of this bed is that it isn’t fully waterproof. Therefore, it probably isn’t suitable for young pups that are still learning potty training.
It’s also challenging to reassemble the bed after washing because you have to stuff the foam back in. It might be best to get a helper so you can get the stuffing back in place.
Overall, I recommend this memory foam dog bed for Australian Shepherds that need extra muscular and joint support.
- The mattress uses human-grade orthopedic memory foam.
- The side bolsters are protective and supportive.
- The cover is resistant to tears, fur, dirt, and water.
- The exterior is washable and removable.
- The bed is not fully waterproof.
- It can be challenging to reassemble the bed after washing.
Bargain Pick: JoicyCo Dog Bed with Headrest
The JoicyCo Dog Bed with Headrest is the best budget-friendly option for Australian Shepherds. It is surprisingly comfortable and supportive, especially considering its small price tag.
It has a simple rectangular design with neck support. This shape means that you can fit it inside a crate, essential with young Australian Shepherds. They can be destructive at times, so crate training can help you avoid any accidents.
The combination of neck support and filler foam provides a comfortable place. It has a soft and cozy outer that you can altogether remove and machine-wash as needed to remove dog odor. It’s easy to get the stuffing back into the cover afterward, too.
It is also surprisingly durable. The zipper is well-made, and the fabric is resistant enough for a regular Aussie Shepherd. However, if your pup is a destructive chewer and gets separation anxiety when you leave, you should monitor their behavior carefully.
The main downside of this bed is that sometimes the foam mattress is longer than the cover. If this is the case, you will need to cut it down to make it fit. This is easy to do but can be frustrating because of the inconsistent quality control.
Overall, if you’re looking for reliable but affordable, you should consider the JoicyCo option.
- The bed is very affordable.
- It includes a head and neck rest.
- The rectangular shape can fit inside a crate.
- It has a thick foam mattress for comfortable support.
- The outer is soft, removable, and washable.
- It is simple to assemble.
- It has a durable zipper.
- Sometimes the foam is longer than the cover.
Luxury Pick: FrontPet Lux Dog Bed
The FrontPet Lux Dog Bed is the best luxury pet bed for Australian Shepherds. If you want to invest in a mattress for the long term, you should consider this option.
It uses an extra-thick mattress with many layers of orthopedic foam. This thick base elevates the body and could relieve pain from pressure points in the hips, elbows, and spine. This provides the height advantage of an elevated dog bed without sacrificing the foam support.
I like how durable the bed is. It uses a thick fabric and double-stitching that should deter curious pups. The bottom is also non-slip and has a rubber outer to prevent the bed from moving around. This should discourage your Aussie puppy from trying to play with the bed.
It has a luxury aesthetic with a deep brown color and leather accents. However, this microfiber material easily shows stains, so that might be an issue if your pup drools a lot. Thankfully, you can remove and machine-wash the cover as needed.
Overall, this orthopedic dog bed isn’t cheap. However, it is long-lasting and supportive, so it could be worth the initial investment.
- It uses thick memory foam for a supportive mattress.
- The exterior is extra-durable to resist damage.
- It has an attractive aesthetic with luxury leather accents.
- The bed has a lot of space for dogs to stretch out.
- The side support can benefit the neck and spine.
- The anti-slip bottom prevents it from sliding around.
- You can remove and wash the cover.
- It is a significant financial investment.
- The fabric shows drool and moisture easily.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Dog Bed for an Australian Shepherd
What Size Bed Does an Australian Shepherd Need?
An adult male Australian Shepherd weighs between 50 and 65 pounds (22.7 and 29.5kg). He stands at a full height of between 20 and 23 inches (50.8 and 58.4cm). These measurements make him a medium-sized dog.
A female Aussie Shepherd is a bit smaller and weighs between 40 and 55 pounds (18.1 and 24.9kg). She stands between 18 and 21 inches tall (45.7 and 53.3cm).
At a minimum, an Australian Shepherd will need a medium-sized bed. If your pup likes to stretch out when they sleep, you should consider a large or even extra-large.
What Is the Best Dog Bed for an Australian Shepherd?
Other than size, there are a few more factors to consider for an Australian Shepherd dog bed:
- Supportive mattress: Like many other breeds, the Australian Shepherd is vulnerable to hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and an orthopedic disease called osteochondritis dissecans. Choosing a supportive foam mattress could help to alleviate any joint pain.
- Side bolsters: If your Aussie Shepherd has any joint or mobility problems, side supports can help their spine and joints. Firm supports around the back and sides are the best option. Getting a raised dog bed can also alleviate joint pain.
- Hypoallergenic design: Allergies are common in many dog breeds, including Australian Shepherds. Dogs can be allergic to a variety of things, including dust mites. Dense mattresses with thickly woven fibers can prevent dust mites from settling in the bed.
- Removable and washable cover: Aussie Shepherds love to spend their time running outside. Yours will likely track dirt and mud into his bed at some point. The breed also sheds a moderate amount. A cover that you can remove and wash allows you to keep the sleeping space clean and comfortable.
- Resistant materials: Australian Shepherds are intelligent. However, they are famously destructive if their intelligence isn’t put to good use. Especially if yours is still a puppy, it’s not worth risking it with a flimsy bed. Durable fabrics will be able to resist more chewing.
If you’d like to see other ways to discourage destructive behavior in Australian Shepherds, you should check out this video.
What Should You Avoid in an Australian Shepherd Dog Bed?
- Very hard surfaces: Because of their sensitivity to joint disorders, Aussie Shepherds shouldn’t sleep on tough beds. These surfaces may cause extra pain and make it difficult for your pup to sleep comfortably.
- Very soft surfaces: On the other hand, overly soft mattresses don’t provide enough support for sensitive joints. Softer beds with looser stuffing also offer an opportunity for dust mites to settle in the mattress. This is why we did not list pillow bed or donut bed types for this herding breed.
- Itchy fabrics: Synthetic materials can cause allergic reactions because of the chemicals used. These beds could make your pup itchy and uncomfortable, which certainly won’t help them sleep.
- Easy to destroy: Thin fabrics or poorly made beds are not a good option for Australian Shepherds. If a bed looks easy to destroy, it’s best to err on the side of caution and invest in a more durable option.
Do Australian Shepherds Need Dog Beds?
You might be wondering if you can let your Aussie Shepherd sleep in your bed with you. Or maybe your pup loves to sleep on the ground, and you don’t want to invest in a mattress. However, experts agree that dogs need their own beds.
Specialty dog beds have the proper support to provide comfort and ease any joint pain. You can also remove the cover and wash it easily, which is more than can be said for all of your bedding.
Furthermore, dogs need their own space at times. Having a bed where your pup can go to relax can help him feel more comfortable in a busy home. It’s still perfectly acceptable to set up his bed in your bedroom, so you maintain the closeness.
Are Australian Shepherds High Maintenance?
Australian Shepherds are active working dogs. They are likely too high maintenance for a regular suburban family that wants a peaceful pet. An Aussie Shepherd needs to exercise for 1-2 hours every day.
Because Aussie Shepherds are so active, a pet parent should invest in a high-quality dog bed. His muscles will get a daily workout, so he needs a supportive and comfortable mattress for the downtimes.
In conclusion, the Best Overall dog bed for Australian Shepherds is the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed. It provides support, comfort, and a durable design at a fair price.
The Friends Forever Lounge Sofa is the Savvy Pick. It combines premium memory foam with a durable cover for a comfortable night’s sleep.
The Bargain Pick is the JoicyCo Dog Bed with Headrest. It has a thick and supportive base, with the option to put it inside a crate.
The FrontPet Lux Dog Bed is the Luxury Pick. It uses premium orthopedic memory foam and has an extra-durable design for years of use.
When choosing a dog bed for an Aussie Shepherd, think about the needs of your specific pup. Consider their health needs, level of destructiveness, and sleeping preferences. You should also shop within your budget.
All content has been reviewed for accuracy by Dr. Megan Teiber, DVM.