Originally from Cuba, Havanese dogs are soft, cuddly, and excellent family dogs. However, they are not teddy bears, and they have basic dog needs like chewing. If your Havanese puppy is going through his teething period, you may be looking for high-quality chew toys.
The overall best chew toy for Havanese puppies is the KONG Puppy Tire. It is durable enough to withstand all chewing styles but still soft on the mouth. Its ridged edges can massage the gums, and you can also stuff treats inside to prolong chewing time.
I discuss the best chew toys for Havanese puppies in this guide. I take a detailed look at the leading models and help you decide if they suit your puppy. Lastly, I discuss how to minimize destructive chewing in puppies.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||KONG Puppy Tire|
|Runner-Up||Nylabone Puppy Chew X Bone|
|Savvy Pick||West Paw Zogoflex Air Scamp Dog Chew Toy|
|Best Pick for Destructive Dogs||BarkBox Origin Tough Dog Toy|
Product Reviews for Havanese Puppy Chew Toys
Best Overall: KONG Puppy Tire
The Kong Puppy Tire is the overall best chew toy for Havanese puppies. Kong is a popular brand that manufactures high-quality chew toys for dogs of all ages. Thankfully, this item meets the same high standards.
It is made of soft but durable rubber with ridged edges and a hollow space inside. The texture of the material can massage your puppy’s gums and also withstand his chewing. Unless you have a particularly destructive small dog, the tire should be able to handle it.
This is a versatile, multifunctional teething toy. You can use it as a chew toy, or it is lightweight enough to work for fetch. Furthermore, the inner section allows you to stuff treats, peanut butter, or other goodies inside. If your puppy is more food-motivated, a dog treat could be a significant advantage.
The rubber is of premium quality, and you can wash it easily. I usually wash Kong toys in the sink with some detergent, but they are also dishwasher-safe. This can be a lifesaver because dirt and hair can build up quickly.
While the puppy toy is available in baby pink or blue, unfortunately, you cannot choose your preferred color. Kong will send you whatever they have in stock, which is a little disappointing.
- It is soft but durable.
- You can put treats inside the tire.
- It is hygienic and easy to wash.
- The toy is affordable.
- The textured edges can massage your puppy’s gums.
- It works as a fetch and a chew toy.
- You cannot choose your preferred color.
Runner-Up: Nylabone Puppy Chew X Bone
The Nylabone Puppy Chew X Bone is the runner-up for Havanese puppies. It has a unique shape with protruding edges and raised ridges. Therefore, it could be an excellent option if your pet is drawn to different textures.
It is suitable for small teething puppies like Havanese because of the gentleness and flexibility of the toy. While firm enough to satisfy your pet, it is soft enough that it shouldn’t hurt his mouth. The raised edges can massage your puppy’s gums and reduce teething discomfort.
The protruding edges allow your puppy to grip the toy between his paws. Apart from relieving pain, the toy can also freshen your puppy’s breath and improve his oral hygiene. However, you should take the toy away if your pet grinds it down and starts to chew off chunks of material.
It has natural beef or bacon flavoring and smell. This can be enticing to your Havanese puppy if he is food-motivated. However, the beef smell is powerful and can transfer to your furniture and floors. If you are sensitive to odors, you may want to choose a different option.
- It is flexible and gentle on the mouth.
- The toy has different textures.
- The raised edges can massage the gums.
- It can freshen your puppy’s breath.
- The toy has natural beef or bacon flavoring.
- It is excellent value for money.
- The shape allows your little dog to grip it easily.
- The beef smell is strong and can transfer to your hands or furniture.
Savvy Pick: West Paw Zogoflex Air Scamp Dog Chew Toy
The West Paw Zogoflex Air Scamp is the Savvy pick for Havanese puppies. This versatile unit allows you to use it for fetch, tug of war, or a simple chew toy. Therefore, it could be suitable for particularly active and energetic puppies.
It has flexible material, which has textured and ridged edges. This material can increase your puppy’s interest in the toy and massage his gums while chewing on it. It is reasonably durable and should withstand the average Havanese puppy. However, it may not last long with a destructive puppy.
The different protruding edges allow your puppy to grip it easily. You can also wash it in the dishwasher if you want to keep the toy clean and hygienic. If you’re environmentally-conscious, you will love that the toy is fully recyclable. You can send it back to the company, and they will dispose of it.
This isn’t the cheapest chew toy for Havanese puppies. However, overall, it is of good quality and has multiple uses to keep your pup engaged. Provided that your dog isn’t particularly destructive, it should give you plenty of use.
- It has textured and ridged material.
- There are different edges for your puppy to grip.
- You can use it for fetch, tug of war, or chewing sessions.
- The material is lightweight, flexible, and durable.
- You can wash it in the dishwasher.
- It is fully recyclable.
- It is one of the pricier options.
- It isn’t suitable for destructive puppies.
Best Pick for Destructive Dogs: BarkBox Origin Tough Dog Toy
The BarkBox Origin Tough Dog Toy is the best option for destructive Havanese puppies. If you’re sick of your pup destroying pricey items within minutes, you may want to consider this durable option.
It has an egg-shaped design and is made of durable rubber. This material also has textured edges to allow your puppy to grip and increase his interest. Although it may be a little heavy for some dogs, the shape allows your dog to carry it around.
One of the best features of this chew toy is the internal squeaker. Because the rubber is so thick, your dog cannot rip it out and eat it. However, the squeaking sound could keep him entertained for extended periods.
The main disadvantage of this Havanese chew toy is that it may be too firm for some dogs. If your puppy is really gentle, he may be put off by the firmness of the rubber. Furthermore, it has a pretty strong odor out of the packaging.
Overall, the BarkBox squeaky toy is heavy-duty and resistant. If your puppy likes to destroy regular toys, it could be worth trying.
- The material is resistant to heavy chewing.
- It has a textured surface.
- The toy has a squeaker inside.
- Its egg shape is easy to carry.
- It may be too firm for gentle Havanese puppies.
- It has a strong rubber smell.
Buying Guide: How to Choose a Chew Toy for a Havanese Puppy
What Is the Best Havanese Puppy Chew Toy?
You should consider these factors when choosing a chew toy for Havanese puppies:
- Size: A fully-grown Havanese weighs between 7 and 13 pounds (3.2 and 5.9kg). Puppies are significantly smaller, and you should choose an appropriately-sized chew toy. Stick with smaller varieties, as large units may be restrictive for your Havanese puppy’s mouth.
- Textures: When puppies are teething, they feel discomfort in their gums as the new teeth push through. Toys with different textures may alleviate the pain by massaging the gums and distracting your puppy.
- Durability: Havanese puppies are not typically destructive chewers. However, every dog is different, and your pup may tear apart softer toys. A dog owner should monitor their puppy when he is chewing and choose an option with appropriate durability.
- Sensory appeal: Toys that have food flavoring or smells may encourage your puppy to chew them. Some models also allow you to stuff treats inside, keeping your pup engaged for longer.
What Should You Avoid in Chew Toys for Havanese Puppies?
There are some things you should avoid in Havanese puppy chew toys:
- Oversized items: Giant toys may be overwhelming for a tiny Havanese puppy. It could be difficult for your pup to get a proper grip, support the toy’s weight, or carry it around.
- Very firm surfaces: Overly hard materials could damage your puppy’s teeth and gums. Unless your pup is a powerful chewer, I recommend opting for softer but durable materials.
- Rope toys: Rope toys can be dangerous if your puppy tears apart and swallows the tiny fibers. These strands can stick in your pup’s throat or get caught up in the intestines.
Do Havanese Puppies Like to Chew?
Havanese dogs and puppies can become destructive because of separation anxiety. They are extremely people-oriented and may not cope if you leave them alone for long periods. Because of the stress, they may bark, howl, or chew on anything they can find.
However, Havanese puppies may also chew because of a natural teething process. If you are worried about your pup’s chewing, you should double-check with your vet.
When Do Havanese Puppies Start and Stop Teething?
Like other dogs, Havanese puppies go through a couple of different teething periods. You will probably not have to deal with the first one because it happens when your puppy is 5 or 6 weeks old. At this point, his baby teeth will start to grow.
The second teething period is the most familiar to dog owners. Between 3 and 4 months old, your Havanese will start to lose his baby teeth. In their place, adult teeth will drop through the gums, causing pain and bleeding.
Most dogs have all of their adult teeth by the time they reach six months of age. However, you might like to verify with your vet that the teeth have come through properly.
How to Stop a Havanese Puppy from Destroying the Furniture?
If your Havanese puppy is chewing because of teething, there are a few things you can do:
- Redirect him to chew toys. When you catch your pup chewing, stop him, offer the toy, and give verbal praise.
- Provide frozen treats. Frozen items can numb your puppy’s gums and reduce his pain. When my Golden Retriever puppy was teething, I would soak, tie up, and freeze cloths to give her. I also cut up apples and carrots and froze those pieces.
- Practice crate training. When you cannot supervise your puppy, you should restrict his access to any of your furniture and other items. You can do this by putting him in a crate, playpen, or a room where he can’t destroy anything.
However, if you suspect separation anxiety, you should seek further help. Your vet or a certified animal behaviorist can assist you in addressing the problem.
If you want to see other strategies to stop chewing, you can watch this video.
In conclusion, the KONG Puppy Tire is the Best Overall chew toy for Havanese puppies. It is a versatile and durable item that can resist heavier chewing without hurting your puppy’s mouth.
The Runner-Up is the Nylabone Puppy Chew X Bone. The unique shape gives your puppy plenty of different places to grip and chew.
The West Paw Zogoflex Air Scamp Dog Chew Toy is the Savvy Pick. It doubles as a fetch and chew toy for more active puppies that have never-ending energy.
When you select chew toys for Havanese puppies, consider your pup’s size and jaw strength. You should also seek toys that have varied textures and sensory details to keep him engaged.
Overall, Havanese dogs are pretty low-key and excellent family dogs. However, they need to chew just like any other breed. Particularly when your puppy is teething, providing suitable chew toys can keep your pup happy and your furniture safe.
All content has been reviewed for accuracy by Dr. Megan Teiber, DVM.