Goldendoodles are one of the most popular designer breeds, combining the traits of intelligent Poodles and lovable Golden Retrievers. Because of their energy level, intelligence, and social needs, Goldendoodles can become destructive if bored. Therefore, it’s important to invest in quality chew toys to save your furniture.
The overall best chew toy for Goldendoodles is the Hartz Chew ‘n Clean Bacon-Scented Dog Chew. It is durable and can occupy your pup while simultaneously cleaning his teeth. It also has a bacon scent to entice him to chew on it.
This chew toy review guide looks at the best chew toys for Goldendoodles. I evaluate the pros and cons of each option and help you decide if it suits your pup. I also discuss how you can minimize other destructive chewing.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||Hartz Chew ‘n Clean Bacon-Scented Dog Chew|
|Savvy Pick||KONG Classic Dog Toy|
|Bargain Pick||SPOT Bambone Beef Chew Toy|
|Best Pick for Large Dogs||Nylabone Power Chew Shish Kabob|
|Best Pick for Destructive Dogs||Benebone Wishbone Durable Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers|
Product Reviews for Goldendoodle Chew Toys
Best Overall: Hartz Chew ‘n Clean Bacon-Scented Dog Chew
The Hartz Chew ‘n Clean is the overall best chew toy for Goldendoodles. It is a combination of a chew toy and dental tool, aiming to clean your dog’s teeth while he chews on it.
It has a nylon, bone-shaped outer section that is firm and durable. In the center, the teething toy has a ridged section that has bacon flavoring and scent, as well as an ingredient called DentaShield. This section can reduce tartare, while the overall chewing could reduce plaque and keep your Goldendoodle pup’s gums healthy.
The combination of textures, as well as the bacon smell, could help entice dogs that don’t like to chew on toys. It is also long-lasting, allowing your teething puppy to chew on it for long periods, depending on his chewing style.
However, take care if your dog is a very aggressive chewer. He may be able to tear apart the nylon over time, leaving sharp edges. Larger dogs may even try to swallow the puppy toy, which could be very dangerous.
- It cleans your dog’s teeth.
- It has a bacon scent to appeal to your dog’s sense of smell.
- The chew toy is durable and resistant.
- It can last a long time.
- There are many size options for different Goldendoodles.
- There are smooth and rougher textures for your dog to chew.
- The edges can be sharp when chewed down.
- It may not suit very large Goldendoodles or destructive chewers.
Savvy Pick: KONG Classic Dog Toy
The KONG Classic is the Savvy pick for Goldendoodles. This versatile item can be a puzzle toy, a slow feeder, or filled with treats to keep your dog occupied for longer periods.
It is made of natural rubber and has a ridged outer and a hollow center. Usually, people stuff the inside with treats or frozen food to give to their dog. This allows the Goldendoodle to focus on removing the treats, chewing the edges, and engaging their brain.
The KONG Classic is a long-lasting option. You can use a dishwasher or clean it by hand. I recommend doing this around once a week to remove any bacterial build-up.
While I like the classic KONG, it does not appeal to every dog’s personality. My puppy gets frustrated easily and will give up if there is food stuck deep inside. However, other dogs may spend hours engaged with the dispensing dog toy.
- It is durable and non-toxic for dogs to chew on it.
- It is easy to clean by hand or with a dishwasher.
- You can use it for various functions, including chewing, playing, and eating.
- There are many different size options for this interactive toy.
- It may not be the right choice for powerful chewers.
- Some dogs may get bored of it quickly.
Bargain Pick: SPOT Bambone Beef Chew Toy
The SPOT Bambone Beef Chew Toy is the best budget-friendly option for Goldendoodles. With its extra-hard nylon and bamboo fiber outer, it is durable and suitable for dogs that have an aggressive chewing style.
It has a smooth base that allows your dog to grip the toy and hold it upright with minimal effort. The middle section is ridged and designed to clean your pup’s teeth and gums. The entire toy has a beef flavoring to encourage chewing for long periods.
The main downside of this toy is its hardness. It could damage the teeth of puppies or small dogs. Therefore, I recommend it only for larger and stronger Goldendoodles.
Overall, the SPOT Bambone is extremely affordable and long-lasting. It could be an excellent investment if you want the most use for the least amount of money.
- It is one of the more affordable options for Goldendoodles.
- The shape allows dogs to hold it with their paws.
- The different textures provide interest and clean your dog’s teeth.
- It has a beef flavoring to interest your pup.
- It is suitable for aggressive chewers.
- It may be too hard for puppies or small Goldendoodles.
Best Pick for Large Dogs: Nylabone Power Chew Shish Kabob
The Nylabone Power Chew Shish Kabob is the best chew toy for large Goldendoodles. The brand is famous for their durable and long-lasting treats and toys that can withstand destructive dogs. This option fits the mould as one of their best indestructible dog toys.
The long shape has a very resistant nylon outer, which can hold up against strong jaws and powerful chewing. It also has chicken flavoring to tempt your dog into choosing it over other items. Each piece is large enough that big dogs can’t choke.
It can provide mental stimulation and also clean your dog’s teeth. However, it may be too hard and even painful for young or small Goldendoodles. Gentle chewers are not well suited to this particular toy.
Although it is one of the priciest options for Goldendoodles, it should last a long time. Therefore, it could be a good investment for the long-term.
- The extra-durable nylon can withstand powerful chewing.
- It has chicken flavoring.
- It is large enough for a big dog not to choke.
- It cleans your dog’s teeth while he chews.
- It doesn’t create a mess.
- It is one of the pricier options for Goldendoodles.
- It may be too tough for some dogs.
Best Pick for Destructive Dogs: Benebone Wishbone Durable Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers
The Benebone Wishbone is the best chew toy for destructive Goldendoodles. When you have a powerful chewer, you need to carefully consider which toys can withstand his teeth and jaws. Thankfully, this option is super tough.
It has a unique curved shape that your large dog can hold up. Because dogs don’t have thumbs, the design allows your pup to prop it up with his paws while he chews. The extra-firm chew can last several weeks even with tough chewers.
You can choose from bacon, chicken, or peanut flavoring. Each option uses natural products and can attract your Goldendoodle’s interest. There are also different size options.
Be careful if you have a puppy or if your teething pup has weak teeth. This chew toy is extremely hard and could break a tooth. Therefore, I only recommend it for adult Goldendoodles with strong jaws and teeth.
- It is not too expensive.
- It has real bacon, chicken, or peanut flavoring.
- There are various size options.
- The curved shape is easy for dogs to prop up and hold.
- It can withstand weeks of chewing.
- It is too firm for puppies or gentle chewers.
- The peanut flavor is unsuitable if you have peanut allergies.
- The edges can be sharp when chewed down.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Chew Toy for a Goldendoodle
What Is the Best Goldendoodle Chew Toy?
There are a few factors a dog owner should consider when choosing a Goldendoodle chew toy:
- Hardness: You should choose a chew toy that is hard enough not to break, but not so hard that it could damage your dog’s teeth. Dogs have different chewing styles, ranging from gentle nibbling to destructive. Therefore, you should match the style of the toy to their chewing.
- Size: Goldendoodles can range from small to very large, depending on the Poodle parent. You should choose chew toys that suit the size of your pup. Otherwise, they risk choking on a small toy or struggling with a large item.
- Textures: Depending on his personality, your dog will be drawn to different textures. They feel different in your Goldendoodle’s mouth and can motivate him to continue chewing on them. You may need to try a few different kinds of toys to see what your pup likes the best.
- Smell: Dogs are highly motivated by smell when choosing what to chew on or eat. Some chew toys offer artificial or food-based scents that resemble meats like beef, chicken, or bacon. If your dog is food-motivated, this may increase his interest in the item.
- Durability: If your pup is a destructive chewer like mine, you will need to choose a long-lasting toy. Otherwise, he will tear it apart and you will have to replace it.
What to Avoid in a Goldendoodle Chew Toy?
There are a few things you should avoid in a Goldendoodle chew toy:
- Rope toys: If your dog likes to tear things apart, rope toys can be dangerous. The small strands can get stuck in your dog’s intestines if he swallows them. It can cause a lot of short and long-term damage if this happens.
- Soft plush animals: Unless your dog is a very gentle chewer, it won’t take him long to take apart a soft toy like a teddy bear. They last at most two days with my Golden Retriever. You will need to take a toy away if broken or else your pup may swallow the stuffing.
- Rawhide: You may be tempted to give your Goldendoodle a rawhide bone to chew instead of a chew toy. However, larger pieces of rawhide can choke your dog or get stuck.
- Too small: Giving a small chew toy to a large Goldendoodle is asking for trouble. He may try to swallow it and choke. It may also get stuck inside his body, needing surgery.
- Too hard: Very hard toys could chip or break your Goldendoodle’s teeth. If you want to avoid a vet visit, stick to softer but durable materials.
How Do I Get My Goldendoodle to Stop Chewing?
There are a few reasons why your Goldendoodle may chew a lot:
- Teething pains
- Anxiety and stress
- Natural stimulation
If your dog is getting plenty of socialization and exercise, it may be that he simply likes chewing. I could exercise my puppy for hours every day and she would still want to chew on things. The trick is to teach your dog what is appropriate to chew on or not.
You can follow these steps to stop unwanted chewing:
- Monitor your dog so you can catch him chewing.
- When you see him chewing an unwanted item, interrupt him and get his attention.
- Hand him the chew toy and give him verbal praise for chewing it instead.
- Repeat this constantly until you can trust your pup.
Once out of the chewing phase your Goldendoodle might be ready for his own bed!
If you want more tips, you can watch this video.
In conclusion, the Hartz Chew ‘n Clean Bacon-Scented Dog Chew is the Best Overall chew toy for Goldendoodles. It keeps your pup stimulated and also cleans his teeth at the same time, providing double the benefits.
The Savvy Pick is the KONG Classic Dog Toy. This versatile item can keep your dog stimulated for hours, depending on how you use it and what you put inside.
When you choose a chew toy for your Goldendoodle, keep in mind his size and chewing style. You should also steer clear of soft and breakable materials that could pose a danger to your dog’s health.
Overall, chewing is a natural behavior that can bring a lot of pleasure to a dog. By providing high-quality chew toys, you can keep your Goldendoodle happy and your furniture safe.
All content has been reviewed for accuracy by Dr. Megan Teiber, DVM.