As dog parents you know how much dogs like to chew and French Bulldogs are no exception. You may find your Frenchie’s chewing frustrating, but for the dog it is a completely natural urge. Chewing keeps dogs entertained thus providing both physical and mental stimulation.
French Bulldogs have a unique mouth anatomy and therefore need specifically designed chewing toys. Read the article below to find out the best chew toys for French Bulldogs.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||Benebone Stick Dog Chew Toy||5/5|
|Savvy Pick||Kong Wobbler Dog Toy||5/5|
|Bargain Pick||Petizer Dog Squeaky Toy||4/5|
|JW Pet Hol-ee Roller X Extreme Dog Toy||4/5|
|Ethical Pets SPOT Play Strong Rubber S-shaped Tough Dog Chew Toy||4/5|
Product Reviews of Chew Toys for French Bulldogs
Dogs adore sticks but they are dirty and prone to splintering. That is why the Benebone Stick Dog Chew Toy is better and safer than the real thing. This toy is the perfect upgrade to your dog’s entertainment life. It nurtures the natural chewing urges, promotes relaxation and prevents destructive chewing.
Made of durable, super-tough and long-lasting nylon and natural maple wood, the Benebone Stick Dog Chew Toy is tougher than real sticks, never splinters and can endure several months of tenacious chewing. It also has a patented ergonomic design that makes it perfect for French Bulldogs and other dogs with short muzzles and not very well-aligned teeth. The ergonomic design is also paw-friendly – allows the dog to get a good grip of the toy. The tantalizing real maple wood flavor makes this toy simply irresistible.
The Benebone Stick Dog Chew Toy is manufactured and sourced in the USA. It is available in four different sizes – tiny, small, medium and large. Dedicated to dog welfare, Benebone brings the dog toy industry on a whole new level.
- Made of durable nylon material
- Tantalizing maple wood flavor
- Patented dog-friendly, ergonomic design
- Made in the USA
- Available in different sizes.
- Teeth damaging is possible in aggressive chewers
- Made in nuts processing facilities (not suitable for households with nut allergies).
With over 40 years of experience in the dog toy business, KONG is a reputable and well-established dog toy maker. KONG understands dogs need to play and entertain and each toy is designed following that concept. The action-packed and delicious treats dispensing Wobbler Dog Toy is perhaps the firm’s best invention.
The Kong Wobbler Dog Toy is made of highly durable and FDA-approved plastic polymer. It consists of two parts (top and bottom) that can be detached and the center of the toy filled with treats or food. Therefore, the toy can be used as an alternative to food bowls. This feature is particularly important for French Bulldogs since they are prone to overeating and obesity. This toy in addition of extending the mealtime it keeps the dog active while eating. The toy is easy to keep clean and can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
Based on your dog’s chewing powers you can choose between 4 different types:
the KONG Puppy for teething chewers,
the KONG Classic for average chewers,
the KONG Extreme for power chewers,
the KONG Senior for aging chewers.
Last but not least, the Kong Wobbler Dog Toy is available in several sizes (ranging from small to 2x-large) and several colors (pink, blue, red, black and purple).
- Manufactured with FDA-approved materials
- Entertains and promotes physical activity
- Suitable for weight management
- Easy to maintain clean
- Made in the USA
- Recommended by vets worldwide
- Available in different colors and sizes.
- The dog’s paws can get stuck in the hole.
The Petizer Dog Squeaky Toy is the ideal toy for French Bulldogs. It is entertaining, helps with weight management and prevents separation anxiety and boredom while keeping the dog’s dental health on a max level.
Made of non-toxic and eco-friendly rubber, the Petizer Dog Squeaky Toy is 100% safe and capable of withstanding the test of time. To satisfy the dog’s senses, the toy is made with food-grade, beef-flavored ingredients. To encourage natural hunting behavior the toy features built-in squeaker.
Featuring aligned teeth brushing bristles and toothpaste groove, this chewing toy is perfect for promoting dental health. It is also good for preventing fast eating because of the food and treat dispenser that can keep the dog entertained for a long time. Additionally, the food dispensing makes this chewing toy practical for training purposes.
The Petizer Dog Squeaky Toy is available in only one size and comes with a 12-month warranty.
- Made of safe and durable materials
- Beef flavored
- Prevents fast eating and destructive chewing
- Promotes better dental health
- 1-year warranty
- Available in one size
- The built-in squeaker can be a hazard
- Not suitable for toy and giant breeds.
The JW Pet Hol-ee Roller X Extreme Dog Toy is designed with one purpose – extended play and never ending fun for particularly aggressive and tenacious chewers. This hollow, cut-out and bouncing ball is definitely worth its cost.
Featuring a patented, honeycomb, web design, the JW Pet Hol-ee Roller X Extreme Dog Toy is made of non-toxic and extremely durable rubber. To resist heavy chewers, the toy is double molded. The rubber’s durability allows the toy to be stretched and tugged without being damaged. Yet, the plastic is soft enough to prevent unwanted teeth damage.
The holes can be used to fill the toy with tasty treats or kibble and use the ball as an entertaining treat ball. In addition to using this toy as a treat dispenser, it can also be used to play fetch and tug-of-war.
The JW Pet Hol-ee Roller X Extreme Dog Toy is available in two colors (blue and green) and several different sizes.
- Made of extra durable and non-toxic rubber
- Double molded and patented honeycomb web design
- Can be used as a treat ball
- Does not cause teeth damage
- Affordable price.
- The openings can cause nail damage.
Providing exercise, brain stimulation and endless fun, the SPOT Play Strong Chew Toy is the ultimate toy for French Bulldogs. Plus, just like any other Pets SPOT product, this toy is made with tons of love.
The SPOT Play Strong Chew Toy is made of virtually indestructible, unique, thermoplastic and super durable rubber. The rubber is strong enough to endure heavy chewing yet light enough to float in water. The S-shaped design allows catching easy grip on the toy. What is more, the toy features a hollow center. This strategic concept allows filling the toy with delicious treats.
The SPOT Play Strong Chew Toy is an interactive toy that provides hours of unmatched fun while promoting healthy body weight and preventing boredom related issues. Last but not least, the toy comes with 100% worry free guarantee.
- Made of extra durable rubber
- Hollow center that can be filled with treats
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- 100% worry free guarantee.
- If destroyed the material is too crumbly.
Buying Considerations of Chew Toys for French Bulldogs
The different types of toys for French Bulldogs
Generally speaking, there are 4 different types of toys for French Bulldogs:
- Chew toys – perhaps this is the most popular type because it channels the dog’s natural chewing urges. Namely, if you do not provide your French Bulldog with a chewing toy, it will find a chewing toy on its own (and chances are you will not be satisfied with the choice).
- Active toys – French Bulldogs are prone to obesity and having an active toy that will encourage them to be more physically active is a good way of keeping them fit and lean.
- Puzzle toys – these toys are good for keeping your French Bulldog mentally challenged. French Bulldogs are extremely intelligent and curious dogs that benefit greatly from puzzle toys.
- Soft toys – stimulating comfort and safety, soft toys are important for your French Bulldog’s mental wellbeing. Just like you have a favorite sweater or blanket, your French Bulldog should have a favorite soft toy to snuggle with.
Why is chewing important for dogs?
In addition to being a good source of both physical and mental stimulation, chewing is good for your dog’s dental health. Namely, regular chewing helps keep the teeth clean thus prolonging the time between two dental cleanings.
Chewing is also important for puppies during their teeth changing phase. In such times, the gums are sore and itchy and chewing helps alleviate the pain.
For trouble sleeping, look at the best dog beds for French Bulldogs.
Important features in chew toys for French Bulldogs
When choosing an object for your puppy to chew on, you need to consider several important features. Check out the best chew toys for Rottweilers.
1. Material. The material should be soft enough to offer relief, while being durable enough to resist repetitive and prolonged chewing. The softer the chewing toy, the more realistic sensation of prey it provides. Hard chew objects can be destructive for your dog’s teeth. Simply put, when picking a chewing toy for your dog you need to find the perfect balance between durability and softness.
2. Ingredients. Some chew toys contain ingredients that can be toxic or at least cause gastrointestinal upset (diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite). For example, many chew toys are made of plastic containing a harmful chemical known as BPA. The best chewing toys for dogs are labeled as BPA-free.
3. Shatter-proof. Chewing toys must be resistant to breaking, tearing and shattering. Additionally, they need to be made of one piece. Toys made of several pieces pose a hazard since they can easily detach.
4. Size. Size definitely matters. Small dogs need smaller chewing toys while big dogs need bigger ones. If the chewing toy is too big your dog may not be able to open its mouth wide enough. On the flipside, if the toy is too small it can be swallowed and lead to gastrointestinal obstruction or inhaled and lead to choking.
5. Appropriateness. Getting a chewing toy designed for adult dogs for a puppy is completely senseless. It is also senseless to buy a chewing toy for puppies for an adult dog. In a nutshell, chewing objects made for small and soft deciduous teeth are not the appropriate choice for a heavy chewer’s adult teeth.
6. Shape and texture. When it comes to shape and texture, different dogs have different preferences. If your dog is not interested in the chewing toy you provided him with, replace it with a differently shaped and textured chewing toy.
7. Taste. Chewing something with irresistible taste is much better than simply chewing something that tastes like plastic. Chewing toys that can be stuffed with delicious treats are the perfect choice.
Keep in mind that just because something is sold as a chewable dog toy it does not mean it is safe. Therefore, before purchasing a chewing toy for your dog make sure your choice meets the above listed criteria.
The best chew toys for French Bulldogs
Hard rubber toys, hard nylon toys, treat toys and dental chew sticks are the safest chewing toys for French Bulldogs.
The worst chew toys for French Bulldogs
The list of dangerous chew toys for French Bulldogs includes:
- Cooked bones
- Toys made of several parts
- Toys with sharp and protruding points
- Chewies made of rawhide
- Soft toys with foamy stuffing
- Children’s toys
- Toys that look like household items.
It is safe to assume that it is better to give your French Bulldog a chewing toy instead of letting it chew your clothes, furniture or tools. A common misconception is that brachycephalic dog breeds are not interested in chewing. Regardless of its specific mouth anatomy, your French Bulldog has a natural urge to chew. To properly channel that urge, it is best advised to purchase a high-quality and durable chew toy.
The Best Overall chew toy for French Bulldogs is the Benebone Stick Dog Chew Toy. This multipurpose and one-of-a-kind chew toy is the amped-up version of the regular filth-covered and splintering stick. The Benebone Stick Dog Chew Toy will keep your Frenchie both mentally and physically engaged, while enjoying an irresistible maple wood flavor.
The Savvy Pick for French Bulldogs is the KONG Food Dispensing Dog Toy. This well designed toy offers hours of entertainment for your pup. Change up the treats and this will be a favorite for years.
The Bargain Pick for French Bulldogs is the Petizer Dog Squeaky Toy for Aggressive Chewers. This toy is great for occupying strong chewers and offers teeth cleaning as an added bonus.