So, maybe you spent a lot of money on a brand new dog bed. However, once you turned your back, your mischievous pup tore it to shreds, wasting your time and money. If you’re looking for indestructible and chew proof dog bed, you’ve come to the right place.
The overall best chew proof dog bed is the K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed. It has a resistant frame, strong material, and fits nicely inside standard crates. The elevated design is also suitable for hot climates and dogs that overheat.
In this guide, I evaluate the best chew proof dog beds on the market. I look at all the factors that make a dog bed indestructible and help you decide the best option for you. I also discuss how to minimize destructive behavior in dogs.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
|Best Overall||K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed|
|Runner-Up||K9 Ballistics Round Nesting Pillow|
|Savvy Pick||K9 Ballistics Ortho Pillow|
|Best Waterproof Pick||K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Nesting Bed|
|Best Pick for Crates||K9 Ballistics Armored Dog Crate Pad|
|Best Hypoallergenic Pick||Kuranda Walnut PVC Chewproof Dog Bed|
|Best Pick for Cold Climates||Nonofish Indestructible Dog Bed|
|Best Pick for Hot Climates||Amazon Basics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed|
|Budget Pick||Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer Dog Bed|
|Luxury Pick||K9 Ballistics Easy Clean Dog Bed|
Product Reviews for Chew Proof Dog Beds
Best Overall: K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed is the overall best chew proof dog bed. It has an extremely heavy-duty design that combines an aluminum frame with taut, ripstop, ballistic fabric.
The material can withstand heavy chewing, scratching, digging, and any other destructive behavior. It is also resistant to dirt, dust, and water, making it easy to clean with a wet cloth and some spray.
You can use it inside or outside of a crate. It fits snugly inside a cage with its standard rectangular size or can function as a standalone unit. The elevated design allows air to circulate and keep your dog cool even in summer.
The most prominent disadvantage of this dog bed is the lack of cushioning. It has a flat, rigid design that may not suit dogs that prefer or need more supportive mattresses. The surface also isn’t warm enough for winter in cold countries.
Overall, I recommend this chew proof dog bed for very heavy chewers that live in temperate to hot climates.
- The aluminum frame is sturdy, durable, and resistant.
- It uses ballistic fabric with a ripstop design that resists destructive behavior.
- The rectangular shape is suitable for many crates.
- The elevated design allows cooling and airflow.
- It includes a Chew Proof Warranty.
- The bed comes in multiple sizes, colors, and patterns.
- It is waterproof and suitable for outdoor use.
- It is a pricey financial investment.
- The hard surface may be uncomfortable for some dogs.
- It is not warm enough for winter in cold climates.
Runner-Up: K9 Ballistics Round Nesting Pillow
The K9 Ballistics Round Nesting Pillow is the runner-up for the best chew proof dog bed. It has a simple round design that houses a comfortable mattress made of shredded foam. This filling is densely packed and non-toxic, so it should be safe for your pup.
The exterior has the ripstop ballistic fabric that is synonymous with this brand. This material is water-resistant, durable, and can withstand scratching and nesting movements. It should also be able to handle moderate chewing.
You can remove the cover and machine wash it for extra convenience. The zipper is also hidden so that it doesn’t act as a temptation for destructive pups. The bed comes in many different colors and sizes so that you can customize it to your dog and personality.
The critical drawback of this chew proof dog bed is that the outer material isn’t very soft to the touch. However, it is hard to get a smooth and comfortable fabric that is resistant to chewing. If you have a destructive chewer, this is a compromise you may have to consider.
Overall, I recommend this bed for moderate chewing dogs that like a cushioned mattress.
- It has a durable and removable cover that is waterproof and resistant to damage.
- The mattress is made of supportive non-toxic foam.
- The mattress is free from glue and has a hidden zipper.
- It is suitable for multiple sizes and breeds.
- The bed comes in various attractive colors.
- The company includes the Chew Proof Promise.
- The material may not withstand extreme chewers.
- The exterior is not the softest material.
Savvy Pick: K9 Ballistics Ortho Pillow
The K9 Ballistics Ortho Pillow is the Savvy Pick for chew proof dog beds. It hits the right balance between durability and comfort with a simple but effective mattress design.
The mattress is stuffed with shredded orthopedic foam, which can help support your dog’s joints and lift him from the hard ground. This foam is also non-toxic and firmly packed, reducing the likelihood of dust mites entering the mattress.
The cover is made of ballistic canvas, which is super heavy-duty and resistant. This material can keep water and dirt away from the mattress and withstand scratching and digging.
It should also be able to handle mild to moderate chewing. The company’s Chew Proof Promise backs this up. However, I wouldn’t recommend it for very destructive dogs, and they would be better suited to one of the elevated frame beds.
You can remove the cover to wash it, but it can be challenging to get back on. I recommend getting a second person to help you.
Overall, I recommend this dog bed for moderate chewers of all shapes and sizes.
- The mattress has non-toxic and orthopedic supportive foam.
- The canvas cover is resistant to scratches, water, and digging.
- You can use the washing machine with the cover.
- The sizes range from small to giant.
- The square shape is suitable for side sleepers.
- It includes the K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Promise.
- The side zipper is hidden.
- The material is not suitable for very destructive chewers.
- It is not the most affordable chew proof dog bed.
- It can be challenging to put the cover on the mattress.
Best Waterproof Pick: K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Nesting Bed
The K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Nesting Bed is the best waterproof chew proof bed. It has a soft but durable outer that resists mild to moderate damage and dirt and dust.
The mattress has a water-resistant lining that could come in handy if your dog has an accident. If you have a young puppy or a senior pup, this could help protect the mattress from urine odors and moisture.
It is also a suitable option for dogs that have allergies. The combination of cotton and the absence of glue and other toxic materials is hypoallergenic. You can also remove the cover entirely and easily wash it.
While the bed is resistant to most kinds of damage, it probably can’t handle very heavy chewing. If you have a super destructive dog with a strong jaw, like a Pitbull, you might have better luck with one of the metal dog beds.
Overall, I recommend this option for messy and naughty pups that like to play with their bed.
- It has cushioning and memory foam for comfort while sleeping.
- The sizes can suit all breeds, from small to giant.
- The natural cotton is non-toxic and resistant to many kinds of damage.
- The company promises a Chew Proof Promise.
- It has a water-resistant lining to protect against accidents.
- The mattress is free from glue and other toxic substances.
- This bed may be unaffordable for some people.
- It is not the most suitable option for powerful and destructive dogs.
Best Pick for Crates: K9 Ballistics Armored Dog Crate Pad
The K9 Ballistics Armored Dog Crate Pad is the best option if you use crate training with your dog. The rectangular, durable design fits inside many standard crates. It provides an alternative to the typical plastic floor.
It uses a combination of ballistics fabric and a sturdy aluminum frame. The entire pad is smooth and almost impossible for a dog to get a grip on. Therefore, he shouldn’t be able to chew it even with powerful jaws.
The surface is waterproof and resistant to dirt. I also like that the materials are recycled and ethically sourced by the company.
This crate pad may not be suitable for dogs that like soft and cushioned surfaces. It could also be too cold for icy places. However, some dogs, mine included, are pleased and even prefer sleeping on hard surfaces.
Overall, I recommend this chew proof dog bed for very aggressive chewers that destroy regular mattresses.
- It is hardy enough to withstand even the most aggressive chewers.
- The surface is waterproof and easy to clean.
- The metal edges are smooth and resistant.
- The edges are covered to prevent your dog from grabbing them.
- The rectangular bed can fit in crates sized small to giant.
- K9 Ballistics provides a Chew Proof Promise.
- The company uses sustainable recycling and manufacturing processes.
- It has decent insulation.
- It doesn’t have padding or a soft mattress surface.
- It lacks warmth for cold climates.
- The price may be inaccessible for some.
Best Hypoallergenic Pick: Kuranda Walnut PVC Chewproof Dog Bed
The Kuranda Walnut PVC Chewproof Dog Bed is the best hypoallergenic chew proof dog bed on the market. It uses Cordura fabric, which is similar to canvas in its durability. It is very breathable and could be a suitable option for dogs that struggle with allergies.
The bed has an elevated design with a stainless steel frame. Because of the space under the bed, air can circulate freely and help your pup stay cool. Because of the covered edges, it prevents destructive dogs from taking hold.
However, the frame is not durable enough to withstand prolonged exposure to sunlight. Therefore, it isn’t a viable option for outdoor use. It is also challenging to assemble, so you may need to dedicate a few hours to this process.
Compared to the K9 Ballistics options, it is relatively affordable but still excellent-quality.
I recommend this chew proof dog bed for indoor use in warm or hot climates. It is also an excellent option for dogs with allergies.
- It is more affordable than the K9 Ballistics options.
- The Cordura fabric is hypoallergenic and breathable.
- The material is resistant to scratches and allows dogs to grip with their paws.
- The elevated design promotes airflow.
- It doesn’t take a lot of effort to clean.
- The edges are unexposed to prevent chewing.
- The bed is not preassembled and can be tricky to put together.
- The frame cannot withstand strong sunlight.
Best Pick for Cold Climates: Nonofish Indestructible Dog Bed
The Nonofish Indestructible Dog Bed is the best chew proof dog bed for cold climates. It has a soft and warm material, plus an extra blanket, that can help your dog feel comfortable during cold nights.
It has a round design with slightly raised edges and a flatter middle. This shape suits dogs that like to sleep curled up in a ball or create a nest for themselves. The mattress filling is densely packed enough to provide some support for the spine and joints.
If you need to travel with this bed, it is compact and lightweight. However, you cannot remove the cover so it can be tricky to wash. You would need to put the entire mattress and cover in the washing machine.
Compared to other chew proof dog beds, it is extremely affordable and could be a suitable choice if you are on a budget.
The main downside of this bed is its softness. While it is the source of the warmth, it probably won’t withstand moderate or severe chewing. Therefore, it is only a viable option for dogs that like to chew but can’t do a lot of damage.
Overall, I recommend this dog bed for mild chewers in cold climates.
- The price is budget-friendly.
- The round design with raised edges is suitable for dogs that like to nest.
- It has a soft but supportive filling for dog joints.
- It has a waterproof outer.
- It is warm and cozy.
- The bed is lightweight and portable.
- It comes with a complimentary blanket.
- You cannot remove the cover.
- The material is too soft for moderate to strong chewers.
Best Pick for Hot Climates: Amazon Basics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed
The Amazon Basics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed is the best chew proof dog bed for hot climates. It has an elevated iron frame and breathable mesh fabric that allows air to circulate freely. If your dog struggles to regulate his temperature, it could be a great ally.
You can assemble the bed in minutes and clean it with water as needed. You can also take the bed apart and transport it easily due to its lightweight design. Despite the lighter weight, the materials are durable enough to withstand moderate chewing.
This bed could fit inside a rectangular crate. I also like how affordable it is, making it a great investment. However, the simplicity isn’t very aesthetically-pleasing. Furthermore, the feet can slip on the ground, which could damage your floorboards.
The fabric provides support for your dog’s joints, but may not be enough cushioning for some breeds. If your dog likes to snuggle, this probably isn’t a good option.
Overall, I recommend this dog bed for moderate chewers that like the extra ventilation while they sleep.
- The bed is affordable.
- The mesh enables air flow and cools down your dog.
- It is quick to assemble and easy to clean.
- The fabric and metal base are resistant to chewing.
- The bed comes in many sizes from extra-small to extra-large.
- The fabric folds and is lightweight.
- The hard surface doesn’t have any cushioning.
- The design is a bit simple and basic.
- The feet can slip on hardwood and other slippery surfaces.
Budget Pick: Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer Dog Bed
The Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer is the best budget chew proof dog bed. Despite its low price, it is surprisingly resistant and hardy.
The budget-friendly bed can handle outdoor use due to its resistant material. The fabric can withstand prolonged exposure to UV light, as well as spills or accidents from liquids. If your pup isn’t potty trained or prefers to sleep outside, it could be a suitable option.
It has a simple rectangular design with an adorable bone-shaped section in the middle. The mattress has padding throughout, which could be helpful if your dog lives with joint pain. This mattress is covered with thick fabric and durable seams.
The primary disadvantage of this bed is how difficult it is to clean. Dog hair often gets stuck in the mattress’s creases, and you cannot remove the cover. The company advertises that you can use a washing machine and dryer, but I have my doubts.
Overall, I recommend this chew proof dog bed for use inside or outside of a crate.
- The chew proof dog bed is excellent value for money.
- The exterior fabric can resist UV light, water, and physical damage.
- The padded mattress can support the back and joints.
- The polyester material is durable and long-lasting.
- You can use it inside the house or outside.
- The seams are difficult to take apart.
- It has a cute bone-shaped indentation in the middle.
- Dog hair can get stuck in the creases of the bed.
- It can be challenging to clean because of the size and fabric.
Luxury Pick: K9 Ballistics Easy Clean Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics Easy Clean Dog Bed is the best luxury chew proof dog bed. It particularly suits dogs that need the extra support of an orthopedic foam mattress.
It has a luxurious design with a thick, supportive mattress and side barriers. This combination allows your dog to rest his joints and could help relieve any pain. The gap in the bolsters also enables him to climb up and down easily.
The bed is soft but durable. It uses silky faux fur and microfiber that are cozy and warm. However, the construction is also upholstery-grade and resists damage.
Furthermore, the materials are resistant to dirt and odors from any accidents. You can remove the entire cover to wash, and air dry it. Washing, thankfully, doesn’t affect the quality of the material.
Because of its price, this bed may not be suitable if you’re on a budget. However, it is well-made enough that the investment could be worth it in the long term.
Overall, I recommend this option for senior pups or those with mobility problems. It is strong enough to withstand light to moderate chewing and has a supportive design.
- The mattress features five inches (12.7cm) of supportive orthopedic foam.
- It has supports on three sides for back support.
- It has a soft and silky fabric for warmth and comfort.
- You can quickly remove the cover and machine-wash it.
- The fabric is upholstery-grade and resistant to damage.
- The material resists dirt and odors.
- The price is not accessible for all.
- The bed sizes run a bit small.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Chew Proof Dog Bed
At Savvy Doggo we often conduct polls to find what our readers think is important. The infographic above shows data collected from a recent poll of dog bed shoppers on Savvy Doggo. We captured 127 responses from readers in 11 different countries!
You shared with us that the following factors are most important when finding the ideal dog bed.
- Durability. 30.7%
- Ease of Washing. 25.9%
- Material. 19.7%
- Price. 13.3%
- Shape/Style 10.2%
For most dog owners having a long lasting and easy to maintain bed outweighs style points or price considerations. Every pup has unique attributes that means there is no “one size fits all.” However these priorities can help guide your search for your doggo’s next bed.
What Is the Best Chew Proof Dog Bed?
When choosing an indestructible dog bed, there are a few factors to consider:
- Fabric: The most durable fabrics are canvas, PVC, and Cordura. These materials can withstand moderate chewing without tearing. If your pup is incredibly destructive, these should be your top choices.
- Base: Many indestructible dog beds use a frame base made from aluminum or a similar metal. However, you can also find fabric beds that are tough enough to withstand some destructive behaviors. The right option for you depends on your particular dog and his comfort level.
- Seams: Beds with double-stitched, flat seams are more resistant to chewing than other varieties—the less that your pup has to grab on to, the better.
- Exposed edges: Corners and exposed edges allow your pup to get a better grip while they are chewing. This leverage can enable them to tear the bed open, so covered or smooth edges are a better option for a heavy chewer.
- Filling: If your dog manages to rip the fabric, the filler should be non-toxic. Especially if your pup is prone to eating the things they destroy, it’s better to be safe than sorry. A densely packed filling can also be harder to take apart. If you are concerned with the filling you can always get a dog bed cover made with a durable fabric as an extra precaution.
- Compatibility with a crate: If you are still working on training, a crate could keep your dog and furniture safe. Beds that are the right shape and thickness to fit inside a cage can be a great ally. For an older dog or a puppy, having a bed with a waterproof liner in your dog’s crate can save you a ton of time cleaning up.
- Noise: Silent fabrics that don’t move a lot are more boring for puppies and adult dogs. If they chew for fun, these materials will be less attractive. An orthopedic bed with a tough memory foam could be as quiet as a chew resistant bed with metal frame.
- Chew Toy: Even with a tough dog bed your large dog might not get over his chewing tendencies without a distraction. Keeping a favorite chew toy in near the crate mat or bed can better occupy your pooch’s ravenous tendencies.
What to Avoid in a Chew Proof Dog Bed?
There are a few things to avoid if you need an indestructible bed:
- Thin materials: Thin fabrics can tear easily and probably won’t last more than a few minutes with a destructive dog. Opt for thicker and more durable options that can withstand your puppy’s teeth.
- Loosely packed filling: Loose mattress filling is easy to pull out and take apart for even the moderate chewer. It is also a problem for dogs with allergies because dust mites can enter and make their home in the bed. For the aggressive chewer you can all but rule out a pillow bed. A shame with how comfy they look!
- Exposed corners and seams: If your dog can get a grip around an exposed edge, he can use the position to strengthen his destructive behavior. A durable dog bed doesn’t necessarily require the strongest materials, so long as the design prevents your pet from getting a good mouth grip on it.
- Noisy material: Puppies, in particular, are attracted to things that make noise. If your dog bed makes crunching sounds, they may have a greater incentive to chew on it. Quiet fabrics are best.
- Toxic materials: There is no guarantee that any dog bed is 100% chew proof. If your dog does manage to destroy his mattress, poisonous materials can send him straight to the vet. As a responsible dog owner you should opt for more natural alternatives.
Why Does My Dog Chew His Bed?
There are a few reasons why your dog may engage in destructive chewing:
- Separation anxiety: Separation anxiety happens when your pet dog becomes distressed about you leaving. They may become frantic and destructive, engaging in chewing, peeing inside, and scratching the doors. If you suspect your dog has this condition, you should consult with your vet and a certified trainer.
- Puppy teething: Between three and four months of age, your puppy may start teething. Over the next few weeks or months, he will lose all of his puppy teeth, and his adult teeth will grow in. During this time, he may chew more to cope with the pain and discomfort.
- Boredom: Dogs need a healthy mix of mental and physical stimulation. If your pup is not working his brain and body, he may become bored. Especially if you have a highly intelligent or active breed, his chewing could come from boredom.
- Compulsive behavior: Some dogs that are separated too early from their parents may show compulsive behavior. They may suck or chew on their bed as a coping method. If you suspect this is the case, you will need guidance from a certified trainer.
- Natural behavior: Chewing is a natural behavior for dogs. They do it for enjoyment, to reduce anxiety, and to work their brains. Some breeds are more mouthy than others and will seek any object that they can chew.
How Do I Keep My Dog From Chewing His Bed?
There are a few methods you can use to keep your dog from chewing his bed:
- Redirection: Buy some high-quality chew toys and have them at hand. When your dog chews on his bed, stop him and offer him the toy instead. Praise heavily and even give him a treat to create a positive association.
- Deterrent spray: You can spray the bed with an anti-chew spray like the Pets Vv Dog Spray. The bitter taste will discourage your dog from chewing. However, it may also make him avoid the bed for sleeping.
- Crate training: If you cannot trust your dog to be alone in the house while you are out, consider crate training. You can use food and games to make your dog feel positive about his crate and leave him in there for a couple of hours while you can’t monitor him.
- Exercise: Your dog may be chewing from excess energy. Depending on the breed, he may need from 30-90 minutes of physical activity every day.
- Mental stimulation: Many dogs chew because they are bored. You can provide bones and safe chews, chew toys, or puzzle toys for him to expend mental energy on.
If you want to see more tips on stopping destructive chewing, you can check out this video.
In conclusion, the Best Overall chew proof dog bed is the K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed. This heavy-duty bed has a solid frame and tear-proof material, withstanding even the most destructive chewers.
The K9 Ballistics Round Nesting Pillow is the Runner-Up. It has a comfortable pillow base with a durable and water-resistant outer.
The Savvy Pick is the K9 Ballistics Ortho Pillow. It has a supportive orthopedic mattress with a ripstop ballistic cover that protects against chewing.
When choosing a chew proof dog bed, you should opt for durable fabrics, covered edges, dense filling, and shapes that can fit inside crates. There are many excellent options for every kind of budget, climate, and dog size.
If your dog is a destructive chewer, you should identify where this behavior comes from. You can then take steps to redirect their chewing away from their bed. Crate training can also help to avoid any accidents when you’re out of the house.
Remember that dogs don’t chew their beds to annoy you. Choose a mattress that is resistant to destruction and try to be patient. Good luck!
All content has been reviewed for accuracy by Dr. Megan Teiber, DVM.